1 mile drag race results... sorta

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers took 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Nebraska shootout. Static filled phone call so details are still sketchy but apparently the top three Vipers (Paul C, SVSi, West Coast Viper) 200,200,194? MPH - no crazy numbers, much over 200 anyway this time around.... more details as the cell comes into range again....

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of 85 cars, Vipers took 1st 2nd and 3rd for sure!!!!!

Slightly more info came in, just confirming that the winning highest speed was 200 on the nose. Not sure if it was PC or SVS car though. Both of them are on boost. The 3rd place westcoastviper car was on a 150shot on NX.

More as the reception gets better from the field... (guess there are no phones near the pits in Nebraska)

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right on!! Top three. Doesn't get much better

Would've been nice to see your car run. Don't know why you weren't there, with all that spare time you have and all...

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify for us Chi-town folk its Paul C that hit 200 and not Paolo C (pronounced Pawlo or thereabouts)?

Tom

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats to the vipers, great times, what sort of BHP are these cars putting out to obtain such a fab time over a short distance

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! Any other "notable" cars? Vettes? Supras? Porsches? Ferraris?

Out of 85 cars, Vipers took 1st 2nd and 3rd for sure!!!!!

Slightly more info came in, just confirming that the winning highest speed was 200 on the nose. Not sure if it was PC or SVS car though. Both of them are on boost. The 3rd place westcoastviper car was on a 150shot on NX.

More as the reception gets better from the field... (guess there are no phones near the pits in Nebraska)

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a website with any info on the results? Who is sponsering this event?

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still waiting for more info. I guess the area is not very urban as each time I get someone on the cell it goes dead or to bad static.

As far as me not being there, I know I know...... I will not miss out next time though. I lost the 'common sense' discussion though and someone had to stay and work.....

:(

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got home from spending the day at the races and I can confirm that the SVSI viper was #1 with a 200 mph run in the one mile event. I wish I had more info but nothing was printed up yet when I hit the road.

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,
The #1 car was the Stryker Twin Turbo car with the stars and stripes paint. The same car that did 246 mph at the salt flats.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo ran 191.8,his Heffner car barely broken in, only 8lbs boost.He just got it back last week!This car is an Ultimate street car. :usa:

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am already excited for next year! This is quite a testament to aerodynamics also. I mean all the top cars can logically do 140+ MPH in the first quarter mile. The next 3/4 mile nets only another 60MPH? I would imagine then that getting a true top speed takes miles and miles? Where do magazines test stock Vipers to get their 192mph number? How long was the salt course for SVSi when they did their record run? (Can't find my issue with that article....)

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason, that is what I was wondering.. 140 in the 1/4 and need "only" another 60 for the other 3/4". I guess its the wind resistance at that speed..

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do magazines test stock Vipers to get their 192mph number?

For something like a Viper, they usually use a 4-5 mile banked high-speed oval at one of the manufacturer's proving grounds. I think FoMoCo has one in Arizona, and I know there is one in Texas also but I can't remember who owns it.

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wonder why a drag radial mustang didnt go, big daddy has gone 7s at like 180 something on drag radials.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if Drap Radials, or slicks are rated high enough for the specifications of the standing mile.
Anyone know for sure?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adding 60mph over 3/4 of a mile from 140mph at 1/4 mile takes a lot of power guys! Think how much ground is being covered every second from 140mph!

The Blue Thunder Charger I have been involved with ran a best of 177mph at half track - then only added 35mph for the second half to cross at 212mph in 1/4 mile. That baby weighs less than the Viper and has well over 2500hp! It is not that the car runs out of acceleration - it simply is covering teh ground so fast it takes a long distance to add significant speed. The time taken would be more indicative of how quick those Vipers were still accelerating than the distance.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As usual Torquie has hit the nail on the head. If my math is correct, if a car did 150 mph in the first quarter mile, it would cover the remaining 3/4 mile in 18 seconds if it remained at a steady 150 mph. Obviously the car would still be accelerating hard from 150 toward 200 mph, so it would actually cover that remaining 3/4 mile in something less than that, depending on how hard it was accelerating. So while 150-200 in 3/4 mile may not sound too impressive, 150-200 in 10 or 12 seconds is pretty awesome!

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wish we had an event like this out here in arizona or at least somewhere here in the southwest. i would put a nytrus kit on my viper and try 2 bust 200 mph. i would hate 2 trailer my snake all the way out 2 nebraska and get rained out.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got home from spending the day at the races and I can confirm that the SVSI viper was #1 with a 200 mph run in the one mile event. I wish I had more info but nothing was printed up yet when I hit the road.

Bob, you are correct about SVS going 200 MPH in the mile. They went 195 on the 1st run, 198 on the 2nd and 200 on the 3rd run.

I went 185 on the 1st run as I bounced off the rev limiter at the top of 5th slightly before the finish line. I was watching the speedo and just forgot to shift into 6th. I remedied this on the 2nd run and ran 191.8 MPH. After my 2nd run, I knew I could go faster as I had a slow shift into 2nd and the car momentarily bogged. I started the shootout with approximately 1/3 of a tank of gas as I did not know Nebraska had 90 octane gas. I arrived late the night before the shootout and did not have time to find any race gas since about 8-9 gas stations had only 90 octane. So on my 3rd run, I got a great launch and hit 2nd quickly and then halfway through 3rd, there was not enough fuel in the tank to feed the fuel pump and my 3rd run was only 172.6 MPH. I will never make that mistake again!

I am very happy I came so close to the 246 MPH SVS land speed record car while I was running only 9 PSI! Next year will be fun!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somehow I dont think this particular run the SVSI was making 1700hp...For Paolo car to be less than 9 mph behind just doesnt make sence...Even with that slight incline 1700hp and God knows the tq that beast is putting down it should have easily been deep in the 200 unless it wasnt hooking up. I have a feeling it was detuned from the Salt Flats power levels. At least at the Salt Flats you can safely open up this beast..Am I way off here???

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they used more than 1200hp I'd be surprised - even at that they could have eased it on until 4th gear before pulling full power into 5th. 1700hp would have pulled 200mph from 100mph in under 12 seconds - and street tires would struggle to do that - it'd be one hairy ride on the edge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang