Texas Mile: 195.0+ All motor

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One Sunday afternoon at the Texas Mile, two runs and no more.

Shakedown pass: 188.3mph
Flatout: 195.0 mph - hitting rev limiter before the mile marker :mad:

I had not planned on participating at this Texas Mile event. I was going to spectate on Saturday, but had some surprise family visit (for my bday :) ). Well, said family decided they would like to spectate the Texas Mile event on Sunday. Furthermore, they said would like to see me run. I called some contacts at the Texas Mile, and they agreed to add me to the waiting list for Sunday. So, I threw the car in trailer, family in SUV and headed to Beeville, TX on Sunday morning. As some of you may recall, I ran a 191.5 back in March (CLICK ME for thread). Since then, I have added a throttle body and air intake system adding about 30 whp and yielding 643whp/616wtq (SAE, dynojet). Needless to say, I was hoping to run a bit faster.

The Texas Mile did some changes to the runway since last March. So for my shakedown pass, I ran as-is to get a feel for my slight power increase and see/feel the changes to the runway. It was a real soft start (see video) and my family even poked fun at me....lol. For my second run, I swapped out to my shorty tires and drove the car flatout while shifting like a mad man. Well, the favorable weather combined with my new power may have done a bit more than I expected. I was pulling noticeably quicker. The red shift light was on at the 3/4 marker, and was shocked when I hit 5th gear fuel cutoff before the 1 mile marker :omg:. For my previous events, I have an arsenal of cameras, GPS devices, etc., but I had nothing for this event since I had not planned on participating :(. Their half-mile speed radar stopped working by Sunday afternoon, so I can't use that speed to compare/extrapolate speed with others. In short, I don't know for sure why I hit fuel cutoff but here are the likely reasons:

1) Stock clutch started to slip as I was approaching redline
2) Tires shrank
3) I actually did hit 200+, and my car slowed back down to 195 while coasting through the 1-mile line

According to my math, my car can do 202mph at 6200 with my stock gearing and a 305/30-18 tire, 25" tall). Clutch slippage is possible, but have never experienced it before, and its not slipping right now either. The tire diameter must be 24" tall in order to hit redline at 195mph (using all stock gearing). I measured the tire's diameter and circumference last night. The tire is 25.1" tall and certainly not 24". While I won't claim that I hit 200mph, rest assured I will be better prepared (Vbox, cameras, Depend underwear, etc) next March and will confirm if this stock short block heads/cam car can do 200mph on a standing mile.

Despite my limited runs, I did learn a few things that I would like to share. First of all, I will need a new top. Apparently our soft tops cannot do close to 200mph before they start to fall apart (see pic below). I had staples literally flying out. Secondly, my A/F was richer than "normal" as I was approaching 200mph. During my a/f logging for remote tuning, 2nd/3rd/4th gear pulls in Mexico show consistent 12.8-12.9 A/F ratio to redline. However, my Texas Mile runs were showing 12.4-12.5 at redline in 5th gear. All else being equal, it can be inferred that there is simply less air available. Could it be that my fancy air setup isn't ramming air into the throttle body at high speed? Or, is it simply that the Gen IV hood's air intake is a high pressure point at lower speed, but becomes static as the speed increase? Does anyone have any real academic data to support my findings?

I cannot give enough credit to Greg Good for the awesome job with these heads and Todd at A&C Performance for doing a phenomenal job of tuning remotely. I have had my tunes altered a few times for my newer mods, and Todd always comes through. You gentlemen rock :2tu:

Short video:

http://youtu.be/5JuHFa-S38k

Speed slips:

You must be registered for see images attach

Damaged soft-top after my 195mph+ pass.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Andres, you seem to be getting better every time you try it :headbang: I'd agree, don't forget the depends .... especially with staples popping! The new intake looks great, what TB did you go with?

Reaction score
Awesome work Andres. Thanks for letting me do the heads on this build.

It looks like with a little tweaking on gears and tire you're in the 200 Mile Per Hour Club.

Pretty good for no power adder and a factory shortblock.

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to go Andres! I sure wish that I could have gone with you but I just had too much going on to get away. Apparently you got the trailer situation taken care of. Hopefully I can try my Gen.1 there in the spring.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn nice, especially for minimum prep! You'll probably have to wait until next Oct, it seems the Mar event is always hot and sorta miserable outside. This past weekend was very low density altitude, and the slight tailwind was perfect for us.

Time to revise 5th and maybe 6th gear? Tomball Dodge can do that. RC had it done to his TR6060 there.

Tony

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice! A little more gear and or rpm and you will be doing 200 mph in the mile!

OP
OP

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Andres, you seem to be getting better every time you try it :headbang: I'd agree, don't forget the depends .... especially with staples popping! The new intake looks great, what TB did you go with?

Alan, the throttle I am using is from Arrow racing (ARR-1100). Its the same one they use the 800 hp Mopar crate engine (Drag Pack, Baja truck, etc.). It does come fully assembled so I could sell my OEM one to recoup a bit of the expense. It does however require modding in order to fit a Gen III. I had to flip the the TPS sensor and also drill/tap the bottom of the TB for a barb hose fitting to continue providing a vacuum source to the EVAP system. Additionally, the mouth requires a 5" coupler instead of a OEM 4.5". As a result, my custom aluminum pipes needed to be made for that 5" diameter too. I then polished it up a it just to keep the blingly flow under the hood.

Its not cheap, but its a bad *****!!!!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great results!! You've got a strong motor set up. Surprised you ran those speeds without a hardtop, do you think the drag on the flapping softop may have cost a few MPH? Best wishes on getting to 200! Mike

OP
OP

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn nice, especially for minimum prep! You'll probably have to wait until next Oct, it seems the Mar event is always hot and sorta miserable outside. This past weekend was very low density altitude, and the slight tailwind was perfect for us.

Time to revise 5th and maybe 6th gear? Tomball Dodge can do that. RC had it done to his TR6060 there.

Tony

I have contemplated on doing the 5th gear ratio swap, but it lands me exactly in the current predicament:

Stock: I should hit 202mph at 6200 with 3.07 final, 0.74 5th, and a 25" tire.
Revised 5th: I should hit 203 at 6200 with 3.07 final, 0.8 5th, and a stock 27.1" tire

The advantage of the new 5th year is that I obviously fall in higher rpm band during the 4/5 shift. I will also lose some rotational mass with a new clutch/flywheel setup too. However, running the stock gearing and shorter lighter wheel/tire creates an equivalent 3.33 final across all gears (8% more to the ground), and also removes 20lbs at each rear corner. Needless to say, I can alter the final speed by simply running a taller tire for either one these setups. Even with a revised 6th gear, I would not want to shift into as it would create the same rpm drop almost as bad as the 4/5 shift on the OEM T56

At this point, I am actually considering the new Gen V gearing. First gear is absurdly long for a 3.07 final, but it does have 0.77 5th gear which puts me at 208mph at 6200. I will weigh my options and contact either Tomball or some of these transmission folks like Donato/Tranzilla/Tick and see what we come up with.

OP
OP

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe we should raise the rev limiter just a tad.

Todd

I definitely have the valve train for the extra rpm, but I do worry about oiling especially since it is sustained. Then again, that rpm range would only be used once in blue moon. My latest tune does have a little lean spot around 4000rpm (~13.4:1). I wasn't concerned for the TX mile since its all high rpm, but I will be on the road course in a few weeks. I will be crossing that rpm at WOT many many times.

I will send you a a/f log over the next few days and maybe you can add the 100rpm and richen up that spot.

Are you going to invest in a hardtop?

My soft top is a little lose now, but its still functional for normal hwy driving. I don't want to risk a ripped soft top as I know it could be catastrophic when going 200mph. I will likely start looking at hard tops in the short future. Let's just hope that the available hard tops can withstand that huge vacuum pull when going 200mph.

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats man, hopefully you'l be wearing the 200mph shirt soon!!!!:D, and for going at it with just heads cam and everything else stock says a lot about the vipers!!:cool:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alan, the throttle I am using is from Arrow racing (ARR-1100). Its the same one they use the 800 hp Mopar crate engine (Drag Pack, Baja truck, etc.)

Dayum, good thing you're running with filters, or that thing could ****-up women and children when leaving the neighborhood :omg: The 643whp/616wtq you posted below looks like the same numbers you got when using my TB and filters, have you had it dyno'd again after putting on the bigger/nicer TB?

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Logging your intake pressure/MAP will tell you if you have an intake restriction. No point getting a larger throttle if you are not currently restricted..
You could check exhaust back pressure to see if there are any gains to be had there too.
AFR doesnt sound too bad to WOT safer at 12.4 than 12.8, but as noted likely down a few bhp from it.
Fueling should adjust to airmass, so the variance is likely tune related than a mechanical/physical limitation.

OP
OP

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dayum, good thing you're running with filters, or that thing could ****-up women and children when leaving the neighborhood :omg: The 643whp/616wtq you posted below looks like the same numbers you got when using my TB and filters, have you had it dyno'd again after putting on the bigger/nicer TB?

You are right Alan. The 643whp/616wtq are the numbers I got while using your setup. This throttle body is certainly beefier and should better meet the increased volumetric demand if it was ever necessary. I have a few little tweaks I will be doing in the short future. I have to really nickle and dime this engine if I intend to hit 200mph. I will go back to the dyno before the next Texas Mile and see how I am doing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R