1000 miles for a break in??

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FAQ lists break in as 1000 miles with rpm kept at 2000 or less.Is this correct??.I have borken in engines for 500 miles,starting gently then harder and harder up to 500 miles.Change oil and your done.On a stand.rev engine to low then higher and higher rpm until it stops blowing oil out the exhaust.change oil and you ar done.On the race track.Lap at lower rp, then jump up 200 rpm every few laps untill flat out.then change oil.So why does it take 1000 miloes to do a viper?Poor machining or what? Bruce

OP
OP
G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to add that below 2000 rpm sounds to me like lugging the engine,about the worse thing you could do to a new motor... Bruce

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As has been noted on board in past, the 2000 and 2001 V-10's have different pistons (and a few other facets)...and as I'm sure you have read, there are engines from this group already undergoing rebuilds at Arrow for Dodge. We have been told that there are tighter tolerances in these engines and the recommendation has been made that owners use a gentle, measured, disciplined approach to the breakin...as noted by Herb Helbig, Manager of Vehicle Synthesis for team Viper in the Spring 2000 issue of Viper Magazime on page 36. He suggests NO full-throttle starts or accererations during the first 1000 miles, keeping speed below 70 mph, and only light-throttle run-ups with shifts at a maximum of 2500 rpm for the first 200 miles. Then,change oil. Then work up to 3500 rpm max for the next 200 miles ( I wondered what happened to the 3000 rpm step when I reviewed article ) using only light throttle. Then, continue LIGHT THROTTLE run-ups to 4000 rpm for the next 200 miles (you are now up to 600 miles total), then up to 4500 rpm for 200 miles, then up to 5000 rpm for the next 200 miles....ALL using only LIGHT THROTTLE ( NO Wide Open Throttle).. He further notes that you should vary speed frequently, AVOIDING CONSTANT engine rpm for " long periods of time".. ..with further suggestions that you avoid extended idling,and wait til engine has reached normal operating temp before " driving enthusiastically ". Finally, check the oil level with EVERY fuel fillup.

This seems rigid and strict to some, but WE certainly plan to follow this schedule when 2001 GTS arrives...these engines are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE to fix out of pocket---especially AFTER warrenty expires and you still own car. PLEASE NOTE that above NOT meant to sound argumentive of judgmental---JUST passing info along. Good luck, have fun and Happy New Year,

Steve Fess Ind/Ky and ILL VCA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960