11's next time or my name ain't..........

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11\'s next time or my name ain\'t..........

very first time at the strip. some people there were tellin me had i had better reaction times i woulda broke into the 11's easily. after numerous 11.8's and 11.9's on my g-tech......which actually times you from the moment you start...minus a starting light, it seems once i get the hang of the lights there won't be any problem gettin into the 11's. was alota fun though. there was only one other viper out there. here's the time slips.
You must be registered for see images

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 11\'s next time or my name ain\'t..........

nice runs....

whoever you were talking to at the dragstrip didn't know what they were talking about.....

a better reaction time won't get you any better ET's at the dragstrip....

drop 1/10th from your 60' time and you'll be very close to the 11's....

Brooks

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good point from Brook, he's the man to talk to about launching technique, check his times out!
As he explained reaction time is not a factor in the equation, that's for bragging rights about cutting a good light or taking the guy beside you by a fender.
Dismiss your adivsor's advice if he's doling it out without an understanding of how a tree works!
Best of luck, your weak spot is the 60 foot time, there's enough room to bring that down and pull 11's alone.
Try the sidestep at 3500 method, searching in the archives for excellent notes on how to do it, as opposed to the 1000 roll on, that should get your tenth right there, it's tricky, but doable......
There are much worse things to do in life then having fun at a racetrack with a Viper however, so enjoy!!!!!
good luck, your running better than some ACR owners already, congrats......
Ryan

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got a question!
Why is it when the worse his 60' times are, the better his mph gets?

OP
OP
R

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

did i say reaction time........i sure did.......i meant 60' times.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice times for a nearly stock car. The best 60' I've been able to get were low 1.9X

Anyone else try the g-tech at the track? I wonder how accurate it is. I tried it last night for the first time at the track. The ET was close but the MPH was way off. Attached is a slip from last night for comparison. The g-tech said [email protected] nearly 10 MPH off. A second run was about the same 10MPH off, wonder why.

You must be registered for see images

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MES, I too have used my G-tech at the track to see how it compares. My MPH was about 10 MPH more than my time slip showed too. The reason is the G-tech measures your MPH at the exact time you reach the end of the 1/4 mile, while the dragstrip measures the average over the last 60 feet of the 1/4 mile if I am not mistaken. My G-tech also showed about .2 faster than my timeslip too on average. For about $140 it is a neat little toy.

OP
OP
R

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the g-tech is the reason i went to the track in the first place. i kept gettin consistent 11.8's. i heard that 1.5 60's are considered good. so....is it safe to say...knocking off .4's and .5's from my 60's would've gottin me into the 11's easily....or is my calculator in need of more sun light? that g-tech sure is a neat toy.

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My question still remains?

And if you knocked your 60' time down to 1.5, your mph should drop down to about 109?

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
And if you knocked your 60' time down to 1.5, your mph should drop down to about 109?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good question (probably why you have not received a response) I think his time slips are abnormal. Normally the lower your ET the higher the MPH. The MPH is more stable than ET but the MPH can vary 2-3 MPH from run to run. If he cut a 1.5 60' the MPH would not be much more than his highest of 119 maybe 121 but he would have ran a 11.7 or better.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

my MPH stays consistant.... I've run anywhere from 11.6 to 12.3 and the MPH is always 118.x -120.8....

I've hit the 120 mark with the 11.6 and 12.3 ET's...

sure, 1.5 60's are great.... I don't think anyone has done it on street tires though....

Brooks

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To a great degree, a Viper's ET is related to traction and time lost when shifting. Things like that. Trap speed is more indicative of horsepower. One way to maximize MPH is to keep your foot in it till you are sure you are past the last light which is beyond the quarter mile marker. I like to run it to about 130 to be sure and for the fun of it.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't count on 1.5 sixties without slicks. A mid 1.7 is great. Also remember a good sixty multiplies itself all the way down the track.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Matt,

Wheelspin from the starting line will raise MPH trap speed as the car is somewhat "slingshot" when the tires finally grab. Better launch will lower mph and lower e.t.

Tom

OP
OP
R

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

as for the h.d. ½ shaft i blew at the strip.......all i can say is.....john over at archer racing and mike the service mgr. at martin chrysler are top notched guys. the service mgr. knew i broke the shaft at the strip and still covered me. gonna have to add those guys to my list when i hit the lotto.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt Kovac:
I've got a question!
Why is it when the worse his 60' times are, the better his mph gets?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The worse 60'times may represent more power and wheel spin?
Typically the better 60' times render higher trap speeds and
lower ETs. There is a balance however, that is the trick to find
that balance to put max power to the wheels with minimum spin.
Better traction allows more power to the wheels before spinning,
which allows better 60' times and lower ETs.
Regards,
2Charmed

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

P.S.

I'm still looking for that balance after nearly 40 runs.
My best run was 12.620 at 114.67. This was in my Z06 with DRs,
Halltech intake, Ported Throttle body, and a 160 degree stat.
I have not run my Viper on the track.................YET.
So I'm no pro, take the above answer as my opinion only.

2charmed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte