14" Stoptech on 17" wheels?

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
14\" Stoptech on 17\" wheels?

Can it be done?
I have just placed an order for the big 14" brake kit, and wanted to get 17" wheels for racing, and just noticed on the stoptech web site that it only fits 18" wheels.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 14\" Stoptech on 17\" wheels?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by THEMASH:
Can it be done?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No

AZVIPERS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have been told the big brake kit that is made for 18" wheels does work with the 17" wheel. I too just ordered the kit and had my tech check into it before I ordered it. He is calling me today from the race where he is picking the kit up. If there are any problems I will let you know. I have 17" wheels. So if I spend over $6K for the brakes installed and they won't work, there will be hell to pay. I don't plan on getting new rims and tires for a few months.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let us know AZ if you are able to do it, if so then it will be the third and last time I get incorrect info from ST.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't believe they will fit over the 14" rotor and hardware. Thats why everyone switched to 18" up front 17" in the rear I believe.

StopTech Service

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The StopTech 14" front brake setup will not fit the stock 17" Viper front wheel. There may be a 17" aftermarket wheel that will fit the kit, but we are not aware of one to date.

Wheel fitment is one of our biggest challenges. We have detailed drawings of our brake kit outlines available in the Technical section of our website that will help determine if a wheel is suitable for use with our kits. We cannot possibly keep up with every wheel manufacturer, so we give our customers and the wheel companies detailed information so they can come up with the correct answer before investing in either brakes or wheels.

We have done our best to let our Viper customers know that an 18" wheel is necessary. Sometimes if a question is not asked, we are not able to answer, but we knew of this fitment issue from day one and have never directly told anyone otherwise. We know the stock Viper 18" wheel clears, but do not presume any 18" wheel will work. The diameter is typically not an issue, but clearance between the caliper and the inside of the spokes is almost always the critical clearance area. There are 20+ inch wheels that will not clear due to spoke interference, so again, presume nothing without checking first.

We urge our customers to try and find wheels that will fit a big brake upgrade as opposed to trying to make brakes fit the wheels. There are hundreds of wheels available, but only about 5-10 big brake kits in the market, all of which have some sort of clearance challenges.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions, and here's the link to our 14" wheel fitment chart:
http://www.stoptech.com/wheelfitchart/PDF/Dodge%20Viper%2092plus%20front%20355x32.pdf

Matt Weiss
StopTech Customer Service Manager
[email protected]
www.stoptech.com

AZVIPERS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Matt,

Thanks for the info. What do you recommend I do? I have the original 17" wheels that came with the '98. It will be a while before I can get 18" rims. Should I get the 18" rims first then do the brakes? Is there a brake kit that will work with both the 17" and 18" wheels?

The Mash: Glad you brought this topic up. I was going to pay for the brake kit this afternoon.

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

17" Kinesis wheels might work. They have the R version where they use a larger center. So, for the 17", it's actually an 18" center. Look into that if you really need 17" for tires reasons.