1550 miles in 2 days in new Coupe

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems the girls over on the 'other' forum just don't want to accept the reality of what typically occurs when these two face off on the street. :D

crying girls

That is just so funny. All the bow ties over there who have absolutely no experience in, on or near a Viper are just so positive that what this thread says is impossible. Mainly becaue "Road and Track" says it's so. Just dismiss real world experience. And they say we are delusional...

In their defense, there are "real world" experiences that go the other way, so it's hard to say anything definitive. One fact is true: The vette, under Lutz, did a real good job catching up to a design that's 3-5 yrs old. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 3-5 years.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very nice write up, thanks for posting. :2tu: i agree the gen III is a much
more refined car plus the new coupe is awesome looking. congrats on your new car.

With that being said, somewhat odd that you sold your GEN III for a GEN II.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will post some pictures of us on the track and driving through the desert as soon as I can figure out how.
No worries, happy to help! The pictures below are from Brian, while tongue-firmly-in-cheek comments are mine...

First, we see the Viper, Vette, Mustang, and of course another Vette (they multiply like rabbits)...

You must be registered for see images

Next we see the Viper at speed in the corners. Scratch that, on the corners...

Meanwhile, a lap back and still in the woods...

And Brian's other Dodge doesn't look too shabby either...

Brian - thanks again for sharing a GREAT story and some GREAT pictures!

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone how cares to see a "rematch" of my new Coupe and my friends new ZO6, we will be running with Trackmasters March 20th (Monday) at Laguna Seca. My CC still has issues and we cannot make it to VRL so I have got to get my track fix. Anyone in the area come and say hello.Brian

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Brian, nice read, here is what one of the guys from corvetteforum had to say:

Here is the response by one of the members in your area. I will give you a chance to explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall Bob
OK, I'm taking this thread back to the original topic for a second....

I just got off the phone with a good friend who happened to be at Spring Mtn. last weekend with the Porsche Club where this "alleged" race occured between the guy with the Viper and his buddy in the new Z06. He remembers both of them running in the advanced group, however, he did comment that neither of them were good enough to be in the advanced group because he caught AND passed both of them at least once during the event. What does my buddy drive, you ask? Well, he drives a 130hp Spec Miata!

His lap times driving in the Miata run about 2:50+/- range on the long course, which according to my lap charts at the last Corvette Days in Feb. would have only been good enough for about mid-pack in the intermediate group. So, since he was able to catch and pass both drivers with "Intermediate group" lap times, that tells me that this was FAR from being a fair comparison between the two cars. In other words the guy from the Viper forum is full of and I hope he has the balls to show up at the Viper Days event next weekend and prove me wrong! (Just FYI, my STOCK '02Z06 runs 2:37's on street tires on the long course)

Because Viper days is now allowing Corvettes to run too, there will most likely be a number of Vettes that he can give point-bys to! I'm throwing down a challenge to the Viper guy to back up his claims!

Let's get this right, you got passed twice by the Miata? Do you care to race one of the members on this board? Actually that won't be fair for you. You need a lot more seat time. If a Miata can beat you, then I would suspect your real life test is pretty useless. Thanks for sharing the story though.

Any response?

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We ran in the middle group...not the advanced. So first off his memory is wrong. Second, neither of us had run at the track before. Third, there was no spec Miata in our run group...and only in the very first "beginning session" (white group)where WE asked to be placed in the morning to learn the track, did we let anyone by us- and that was a Carrera S4 which we passed later in the session. Fourth, I do not know the times I run at that track, but I run 1.54.7's at Thunderhill without the bybass in my new CC (check and see how those compare to other VRL racers). So ask this guy what his Miata runs there. Also, there were two other 03 ZO6's there that we passed everytime-both of us...and one was on DOT slicks. And if he feels the need to run with me at VRL- I was going to race the CC but it is down presently, he can PM me and I might change my plans to race him if he has the balls to show up and race himself...we would run the same run group-bench racers don't count. He will only get my respect if HE show up and runs.:) Brian

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We ran in the middle group...not the advanced. So first off his memory is wrong. Second, neither of us had run at the track before. Third, there was no spec Miata in our run group...and only in the very first "beginning session" (white group)where WE asked to be placed in the morning to learn the track, did we let anyone by us- and that was a Carrera S4 which we passed later in the session. Fourth, I do not know the times I run at that track, but I run 1.54.7's at Thunderhill without the bybass in my new CC (check and see how those compare to other VRL racers). So ask this guy what his Miata runs there. Also, there were two other 03 ZO6's there that we passed everytime-both of us...and one was on DOT slicks. And if he feels the need to run with me at VRL- I was going to race the CC but it is down presently, he can PM me and I might change my plans to race him if he has the balls to show up and race himself...we would run the same run group-bench racers don't count. He will only get my respect if HE show up and runs.:) Brian

Awesome, I thought you should have the right to defend that stupid post, good on ya. If he comes back with anything intelligent, I'll let you know.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone how cares to see a "rematch" of my new Coupe and my friends new ZO6, we will be running with Trackmasters March 20th (Monday) at Laguna Seca. My CC still has issues and we cannot make it to VRL so I have got to get my track fix. Anyone in the area come and say hello.Brian

I'm looking forward to the report.

I always felt the new Z06 would (finally) match up pretty evenly against an 06 Viper. Obviously I like the thought of the Viper having the edge.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was pretty entertaining stuff over there. They really are pretty insecure. Don't know why, the Z is a great car. But it is interesting that all the mags have said the Viper is a better track car, the original poster seems to have confirmed this. But I just loved this guy over there....
I like how he essentially destroys his own argument by mentioning the color difference. In the two (and only two) days I have driven my Yellow Z, I have gotten more looks and flat out head turning stares then I can count. If his Viper were Black and sitting next to my Yellow Z, I guarantee the first car you'd notice would be my Z. It's just simple human nature that our eyes are drawn to bright and vibrant colors. The real test in his so called "gawk" factor would be if his friend had a color other than black. I like the black but like he said it just doesn't stand out so saying people ignored it is nothing, I've seen people totally ignore my stepmom's triple black 911 and didn't find this unusual at all.
As many of you know I've owned multiple Vettes and still own one. I have lots of Vette friends including one who happens to own a yellow Z mentioned above. What do you guys think happened when our cars were ACTUALLY parked side by side?

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I find humorous is the fact that that one poster over there missed the entire point. It doesn't matter who we ran with or if a Miata was faster (which never happened). This was about two equal drivers, on a new course (eliminating driver course experience)running together...and the end result. They could find a faster driver than me in the Chevy forum and beat me, then we could send out Tommy Archer and he beats all of them. That is driver, not car. My point was about the cars...they are very close. For all I know my friend got a slow production ZO6, or I got a fast SRT-10...or both. There will always be faster/slower cars coming down an assembly line. But on that day, with us, the Viper one out. To be honest, its not what either of us expected as we too read the car magazines. But we had 5 sessions to get the same results. And there were several hundred people there who saw it happen. I am sure if the school cars (new ZO6's)and their instructors were running with us they would have kicked both of our tails-they should , its their home track. But our home track is Thunderhill, and I am sure we would have done the same to them...so experienced drivers to that track were not part of our variable. Over the next year as people quit bench racing and get their cars out, the real results will speak for themselves. I always laugh when someone like that poster tells me someone else will be faster and they are the one's mouthing off- get out and drive yourself-then people will respect your opinion. But that day, under those circumstances, the Viper was faster.

JimmyCrackcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wh But on that day, with us, the Viper one out. To be honest, its not what either of us expected as we too read the car magazines.

The magazines have been on the Z06s wet ****** for years, they must get a car donated to them from Chevy every year as a bribe. If you guys really give a [******], go buy a Z06 also and find out

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure if the school cars (new ZO6's)and their instructors were running with us they would have kicked both of our tails-they should , its their home track.

Hi Brian,

Very nice write up!

I am wondering if the same instructors who were there 4 years ago when I took the 3 day school were still there? One of them(maybe all of them?) actually helped build the track with Rupert. The website says it's still being taught the same way as Rupert set it up. Great bang for the buck! I was in a 2002 ZO6 the entire time. Easily 300 miles of track time in addition to the other stuff we were taught. At the end of the school, the instructors gave the 7 of us in the class wheel to wheel hot laps in the SS Camaros--which they preferred over the ZO6s for having fun. Rupert lead the pack......the object was to try and get ahead of him---pretty exciting! They definitely knew the track! There were 3 instructors. I remember 2 of them were named Dave. After the school ended, and I got back up to Las Vegas where my wife was, I discoverd I had forgotten something down there. We drove back down the next morning, the instructors were having coffee, getting ready to tech the cars we had just beaten for 3 days........Rupert came into the Quansit hut where we all chatting--going over the last 3 days trials and tribulations and the next thing you know---my wife was getting about 10 hot laps in a ZO6 with Rupert at the wheel. He's a cool guy! We had a great experience at Spring Mountain in April of 02!

Steve

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we weren't able to get my CC ready to run at VRL this weekend, so we decided to run our street cars this Monday at an open track event at Lagun Seca. Once again, neither of us has run this track before- well I have in 1980 so I guess that doesn't count. We will be running the advance group with open passing- which we are used to, to nip those questioning our passing zones at Spring Mountain.There was a lot of back/forth with the ZO6 forum guys that my account at Spring Mount could not have or didn't happen. Well, this is an open invitation for anyone in the area to come out this Monday the 20th and watch us play again. Both cars are still completely stock with the track not being a variable.It will come down to the cars, not the drivers. We are also going to switch cars to compare results as well this time. We are hoping to Video it and get it posted next week. I will be posting this on the ZO6 forum as well. God I love stirring the ***! Brian

YoungDoc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i've been a member of the corvette forum since 2002 and the way they are acting is insane.. I have commented on that thread.. It honestly makes me sick all the bad mouthing that is going on with them... You guys seem to be handling it fairly well and I haven't heard to much bad mouthing (i'm editing myself here lol)... I have owned two z06's and "rolled" with numerous viper owners... The viper always gets the attention.. Thats one of the many reasons i'm switching over... I look forward to you showing up some of the vette owners Brian unfortunately though I don't think any of the people who are truly at fault in there forum will show up... Though I would love to see the show down if they did... Good luck... I'm on your side with this one... I can't believe the way they are acting :(

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So we weren't able to get my CC ready to run at VRL this weekend, so we decided to run our street cars this Monday at an open track event at Lagun Seca. Once again, neither of us has run this track before- well I have in 1980 so I guess that doesn't count. We will be running the advance group with open passing- which we are used to, to nip those questioning our passing zones at Spring Mountain.There was a lot of back/forth with the ZO6 forum guys that my account at Spring Mount could not have or didn't happen. Well, this is an open invitation for anyone in the area to come out this Monday the 20th and watch us play again. Both cars are still completely stock with the track not being a variable.It will come down to the cars, not the drivers. We are also going to switch cars to compare results as well this time. We are hoping to Video it and get it posted next week. I will be posting this on the ZO6 forum as well. God I love stirring the ***! Brian

How did it go on Monday?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's reat great that chevy, along with a half dozen other cars, gave there customers a 500+HP car, but Dodge gave us the 505HP SRT/10 Converitble in 2003.

Hope they'll stay up with us this time:) Not

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We got rained out on Monday...but nice drive and the wives loved shopping in Carmel. The more I drive it, the more I like it. We now have 2100 miles on the car in one month!
Brian

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fwiw..I'm a vette guy..but a friend of mine let me drive his 04 SRT/10..What a car!

The new Z06 and the new Viper srt/10's are awesome..

Both great cars...two tough choices ...

No question the vipers a killer ride!

Great site.

JB