18/19" Wheel Combo on Gen1 RT - Will it work?

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I've already signed on the dotted line for a set of new SRT 6-Spoke wheels for the Gen1 RT. I was changing the brake fluid today and noticed the really tight clearance on the front side of the inner fender liner on the rear. I'm thinking, 2" more diameter, maybe a little more tire height, etc. etc. Without me having to pull the wheels off the ACR and try them on the RT I was wondering if anyone else has run the SRT wheels on a Gen1 with the 295 front 345 rear combo (I'm guessing the Gen2 RT would be the same). Any rubbing, etc?

Thx in advance!

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I've already signed on the dotted line for a set of new SRT 6-Spoke wheels for the Gen1 RT. I was changing the brake fluid today and noticed the really tight clearance on the front side of the inner fender liner on the rear. I'm thinking, 2" more diameter, maybe a little more tire height, etc. etc. Without me having to pull the wheels off the ACR and try them on the RT I was wondering if anyone else has run the SRT wheels on a Gen1 with the 295 front 345 rear combo (I'm guessing the Gen2 RT would be the same). Any rubbing, etc?

Thx in advance!

We have the same taste Eddie! I was thinking the 6 spokes or some CCW SP600's would have looked great on the car, but I didn't want to spend the extra money knowing I was selling the car. I want to see pics when you get them installed:)

martyb

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,
It looks like the 345/30/19 is about 1/2" less radius that the 20's on your GTS. Do you think they would clear and not rub? Looks like your rear tire barely kissed the quarter panel.

According to the internet tire calculator the radius are as follows:
335/35/17 - what's on the car - 13.11"
345/30/19 - What I want on the car - 13.57"
335/30/20 - What's on Dave's GTS - 13.95"

Section width & wheel offset:
The 345 tire only has 1/2" more section width then the 335. This makes me wonder about wheel offset. Does anyone know if the wheel offset is different from the gen1/2 to the Gen3/4?

Thanks for the all the info. I do have the ACR wheels I could swap and try but I'm gonna try to avoid that if possible (too lazy).

Marty,
I plan on powder coating the 6-spokes black. I've received the CF "Mopar" style wing from JonB that I need to get painted. I'm going for the street fighter look with tinted windows, black emblems, black wheels & big brakes w/red calipers. Trying to decide on the full StopTech rotor/caliper combo or the StopTech/Brembo combo on the ACR. The rear pads have a little life left in them so I figure why swap the pads when I can swap the whole brake system. I'd love to keep the calipers that say RT/10 though...

Rock / me \ hard place

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought the wheels and tires from Dan at Viper Specialty he described the 335 PS2 as actually fatter than some of the 345's. It does have a very rounded profile at the side wall that could be contributing to this effect. If what you are looking at is 1/2" smaller or so you should be fine at the fender liners, but I think the side wall rub could still be an issue depending on the tire choice, suspension settings, and as you have inquired about, the rear spacing. Dan told me when we set up my package that he was going to see if iForged could do an additional 1/4" inboard to address the possibility of a rub. I have no idea if that was done or not. I got what I got.

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then the 345s might work out. I'll be running PS2s (about the ONLY option in the 345 width. It may be worth it to throw the ACR rears on the RT and just try it out. I can't imagine the PS Cups and the PS2s being too much different from each other.

Any rubbing or issue with the 295 fronts - mainly at lock?

Also what has your ride been like with the larger tires - does it feel more sure-footed. Also does it tend to wander more in the tire ruts. I know the ACR is all over the road with tire ruts.

Thanks for the info!

When I bought the wheels and tires from Dan at Viper Specialty he described the 335 PS2 as actually fatter than some of the 345's. It does have a very rounded profile at the side wall that could be contributing to this effect. If what you are looking at is 1/2" smaller or so you should be fine at the fender liners, but I think the side wall rub could still be an issue depending on the tire choice, suspension settings, and as you have inquired about, the rear spacing. Dan told me when we set up my package that he was going to see if iForged could do an additional 1/4" inboard to address the possibility of a rub. I have no idea if that was done or not. I got what I got.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread has pics of the front. Scroll down after you open it.

I really can't tell any difference with ride quality from a seat cushion standpoint. I pulled off 2 year old 18" OE sized Pilot Sports when I did the aftermarket wheels and traction is better, and groove tracking is not bad at all. I hope to solve my problem of good traction with the 3.73 gears I'm gonna buy soon (house addition is a time magnet, no sense buying something I don't have time to install right now...) as I'm at the equivalent of 2.83 with my 20's right now. Once you get her rolling she's a real smoker! :rolaugh:

http://forums.viperclub.org/tire-wh...18s-fit-front-my-99-acr-using-stock-rims.html

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the test tape in the front fender - glad to know that there is no rubbing. I'll probably just throw the ACR wheels on to know for sure. I'll post some pictures.

Your (Dave) tires/wheels really look right on your GTS - right size & make the GTS even more aggressive without that wagon wheel look that sometimes happens (like 26" wheels on a Crown Vic - does act like a 4" lift kit though).

Thanks for the help!!! I sure hope there are some tire companies that start making tires in this size soon. Talk about pigeon holing yourself into PS2s!

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it will look killer Eddie, can't wait to see the pics!

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put 295/18" and 345/19" Sidewinders on my '96 GTS and they fit no problem. Interestingly, in order to improve the "look", I also put in the lowering spring perches from Jon B and slapped in 1/2" spacers on the fronts and 1/4" spacers on the rears. All I can say is the car looks darn good...

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm currently running the 18/19 wheels on my Gen 1. Works great with no issue except for the wheels being grossly heavier than the stock fan wheels!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235