1986 Grand National beats on a GTS????

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally possible. I had a syclone and sometimes wonder if I could have beaten my GTS with it. The Grand Nationals came with a decent sized turbo I have seen several that have some crazy aftermarket turbo and intercooler set-ups. They easily dip into the 11's. Plus the viper driver seemed to be "granny shifting".

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Totally possible. I had a syclone and sometimes wonder if I could have beaten my GTS with it. The Grand Nationals came with a decent sized turbo I have seen several that have some crazy aftermarket turbo and intercooler set-ups. They easily dip into the 11's. Plus the viper driver seemed to be "granny shifting".

LOL, I noticed you have a B&W as your avatar, was it you???? :p

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very possible.. GN with upgraded single turbo and a fuel sytem very easy 10's and maybe 9's with the know how. That V6 put's out some good horsepower

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So the camera car was beating both of them, yet no mention of what kind of car it was. Could this just be a wanabe Viper killer??? I Notice the thread following the vid was on a Corvette site, I use to have one of those (moderately modified) and unless they are very highly modified there is no chance a vette could beat a Viper...I should know, I sure tried, many, many, many times.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First things first. I've owned all 3....'87 Buick GN, Syclone, '99GTS...also a Typhoon. On a stock basis, Viper with my mother driving, would beat all of them, easily. Have the GN, Syclone or Typhoon modified w/ Kenne Bell tuner stuff and they're all 11+ second street machines, auto transmissions and all. Push down on the right pedal and hold on...very quick. All 4 ourare nice cars, but the Viper is really the best of the 4, trust me.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"knowledgeable car folks", that's a good one. something about that video doesn't seem right at all. almost as if the guy in the viper isn't even trying or he gives up, or he's wearing a diaper and taking a dump during the race. imho, buick gn is wicked fast but not viper fast. gn would look very nice though in the garage next to my blue/white. :2tu:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other GN was a -87.
I had one and it will eat my Viper.
Not in stock condition, but with very few mods, it will get into 11's.
Great car!!!!

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seems like the viper let off right after 2nd going into third..

Agreed, and it doesn't seem like he was the best driver. Not to say the GNs still wouldn't have pulled on him, those cars can be made fast with very little effort.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks close then the Viper seems to slow down to let the GN get in front of him as they approach the intersection where the white car pulls out.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have seen may GNs that would rip many gts up. those that dont believe that are morons. but those that believe that was a race a even dumber!!!!the gts wasnt even breaking 50mph. total
You must be registered for see images

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The lead car looks like another GN and the Viper defiantly was only part throttle, watching it a second and third time, a street race with traffic the Viper was smart in letting up, no sense in hurting anyone or getting the flashing blues, cause you just know who Mr Office would pull over.

The real question here is why did the first car (a GN?) take off so much faster than either of the racers? Unless it was planned all along

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you know what, the secod time i watched it i noticed the guy driving the viper, had his elbow resting on his window ledge. i know when i am running my car hard i look like i am taking a sunday drive site-seeing too. dont you too?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it always amazes me that guys think a stock viper i sooo fast and cant be beat by a mustang,GN,camaro etc.....

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
phil, i dont think anyone here doesnt respect the GN's capabilities. I know I have see many of these cars that would eat a viper up bad in the quarter mile. I just dont think this is one of those cars. I also know manny 2003 cobras with light mods that would embarass most lightly modded vipers on the road.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< you know what, the secod time i watched it i noticed the guy driving the viper, had his elbow resting on his window ledge. i know when i am running my car hard i look like i am taking a sunday drive site-seeing too. dont you too? >>

i kept looking at that too. i dont think he was taking it very seriously at all.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey big, a little off topic but weren't you the guy that bought that roe blower kit on ebay that was found in a trash can? if so what ever did you do with it.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had several GNs, still own one.

They can definitely be upgraded to be quarter mile killers:

1987 Buick GN 9.78 ET 139.20 MPH

-J

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgive me for being so technical but I am an engineer. Estimating a distance between those electric poles as 7 car lengths and roughly measuring the time between those two poles as 1.55 seconds, that would calculate out to be a velocity of 65.902 ft/sec or roughly 44.9mph knowing the length of the viper as 175.11 inches. I measured the point towards the end just before the Viper obviously lets off. I then took a very conservative measurement on the time it took to get to this point. It was approximately 11 seconds (actually more, but close enough). So after 11 seconds of acceleration the Viper was going approximately 45 mph. Hmmmmmm Perhaps my measurements are off but by a factor of two?! I don't think so. The Viper was not pushed even close to its limits. Fact. No disrespect to GNXs. They are awesome. But this video is a canard.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgive me for being so technical but I am an engineer. Estimating a distance between those electric poles as 7 car lengths and roughly measuring the time between those two poles as 1.55 seconds, that would calculate out to be a velocity of 65.902 ft/sec or roughly 44.9mph knowing the length of the viper as 175.11 inches. I measured the point towards the end just before the Viper obviously lets off. I then took a very conservative measurement on the time it took to get to this point. It was approximately 11 seconds (actually more, but close enough). So after 11 seconds of acceleration the Viper was going approximately 45 mph. Hmmmmmm Perhaps my measurements are off but by a factor of two?! I don't think so. The Viper was not pushed even close to its limits. Fact. No disrespect to GNXs. They are awesome. But this video is a canard.

yes. i came to the same conclusion. but did you take into consideration that 1.21 jigawatts in the flux capacitor thingie. :bonker: lol...

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Way to much time on your hands... :nono:

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The guy had his hand out the window like he was on a Sunday cruise. If you notice the Viper is doing ok until he shifts then he falls back. Then he shifts to 3rd and falls back even more. There is a brief second where he gives it full throttle in 2nd and he starts to gain.

Why are fake video's so popular, any car modded enough can take a stock GTS. I am sure everyone has seen the real video of the civic beating the GTS in a street race. Supposedly the civic was a 10 second car but everyone was still all excited.
:bonker:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< hey big, a little off topic but weren't you the guy that bought that roe blower kit on ebay that was found in a trash can? if so what ever did you do with it. >>

the system i bought i got from joe barrett. (dyno daddy). it was an SVS system that came off his car that is now going turbo. i do not think it ever saw ebay. i think i remember seeing the one you are talking about, but it wasnt me.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< Forgive me for being so technical but I am an engineer. Estimating a distance between those electric poles as 7 car lengths and roughly measuring the time between those two poles as 1.55 seconds, that would calculate out.. >>

jeeses batboy! you really should warn us that something like this is coming! it is way too early in the morning for this kind of stuff! brain flex - OUCH!! LOL can you stop by and get my VCR to stop flashing 12:00? LOL