1986 Grand National beats on a GTS????

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Forgive me for being so technical but I am an engineer. Estimating a distance between those electric poles as 7 car lengths and roughly measuring the time between those two poles as 1.55 seconds, that would calculate out to be a velocity of 65.902 ft/sec or roughly 44.9mph knowing the length of the viper as 175.11 inches. I measured the point towards the end just before the Viper obviously lets off. I then took a very conservative measurement on the time it took to get to this point. It was approximately 11 seconds (actually more, but close enough). So after 11 seconds of acceleration the Viper was going approximately 45 mph. Hmmmmmm Perhaps my measurements are off but by a factor of two?! I don't think so. The Viper was not pushed even close to its limits. Fact. No disrespect to GNXs. They are awesome. But this video is a canard.
I sure hope this was a joke. There is no way for you to scientifically judge the speed of these cars from the shots taken. clearly this race was shot from the one grand national which was in front of the gts the whole time filming it from a good 45 degree angle. how could you judge with any certainty especially to a decimal point as to when the gts passed by these poles when the angle was never perpendicular to the poles with the exception of the the start!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And if you continue to use words like 'canard" you WILL be banned.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL! Sorry fellas. It was early it is winter and I am/was bored.

Don't do taxes.

Hate VCR's. Prefer DVD players. Comon Big, the 80's are over.

I think the key word I mentioned was "estimate". I think I also eluded to my error rate which was not more than 100% (that whole factor of two thing). You come up with something better we'll talk.

Sorry for the word canard... should have used prevarication. ;)

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< Comon Big, the 80's are over. >>

so i guess getting my 8-track player to work again is out of the question too? damn. :D

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way,Bull shyt,that was staged,almost looks like the guy in the GTS was hitting the brakes at times....My GTS motor is much louder then that when I am actually running it,

I have run a few GN's and smoked the living crap out of them, was like running against a stock Mustang GT....

I hope guys around here will see this, and try it for real, I will smoke there asp like a Vette, Iam game for most Bowtie products....

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love those Grand Nationals and GNX's. In their day they were the baddest American muscle cars. Never were known for cornering but straight line watch out. Bringing them up to date with mods has got to be a cool experience. Still look wild today.

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno guys. I keep watching it too. You can clearly see that each shift from the GTS it gains. However, could it be he really just donsn't know how to throw gears around and did infact lose. Albeit driver error?

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have run a few GN's and smoked the living crap out of them, was like running against a stock Mustang GT....

I hope guys around here will see this, and try it for real, I will smoke there asp like a Vette, Iam game for most Bowtie products....

I take it you're never ran a modded GN? For a couple grand they are running 10-11's with a smooth idle and the ultimate sleeper. You'll never know it's modded until you see taillights.

BTW since when is a Buick a "bowtie" AKA Chevrolet?? :confused:

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW since when is a Buick a "bowtie" AKA Chevrolet?? :confused:

[/QUOTE]

Buick is generic to GM, (body by Fisher). although it does not wear a Bowtie, it is still a Chevrolet.(birds of a feather). I remember when the GN came out, ooohhh yeah for the time it would whoop up on most V-8's, but, run with a GTS now??? if you believe that I have got some beautiful swamp land in Florida I would like to sell ya....

I will admit, with enough money even a pinto could beat my GTS, but be concerned of loosing a street race to even a slightly moded GN? just another notch in my stick, that is, if I am in the mood to waste the energy to beat another one...

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK so stock GN's ran 13.7 or so and topped our at 129mph big deal. Given enough money you too can run in the 7's.

Here is an even better clip of a GN only this time is against a Tang. Long video but the end is worth seeing. The real fun is about 2:40 in click about the 3/4 mark on the time line bar.

http://www.yellowbullet.net/outlaw_105_final.wmv

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, the GN haters on here are either have a power adder or are talking smack. It takes so little to put a GN in the high 10's to low 11's that you almost have to assume they are all running those #'s. Without quite a bit of work a Viper is not cracking into the 10's (at least a shot of NOS). Obviously a totally different class of car, but in a straight line they haul.

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A GN can run high 11s with an internally stock engine and stock turbos(with drag radials and race gas). Most GTS owners aren't running under a 12.0 stock. Nothing at all farfetched about it. See the mod lists for some of the guys on this board. http://www.turbobuick.com/messagebd/
Now whether the video was a serious race or not I am not certain. From the stop/go look of things they were trying to race into traffic or something. Very amateurish and potentially dangerous.

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A GN can run high 11s with an internally stock engine and stock turbos(with drag radials and race gas). Most GTS owners aren't running under a 12.0 stock. Nothing at all farfetched about it. See the mod lists for some of the guys on this board. http://www.turbobuick.com/messagebd/
Now whether the video was a serious race or not I am not certain. From the stop/go look of things they were trying to race into traffic or something. Very amateurish and potentially dangerous.

What do you think a GTS would run with drag radials and race gas, are you saying the GN is faster stock then a GTS?

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nuck is snorting something....maybe that race gas he mentioned. I had an FBI over run 1987 GN, no options except a/c, no radio, no power windows or anything else. Even with the hypertech chip, that car wasn't in the 11's and it was a strong , stock GN. My '99GTS would walk all over it. Now a modified GN, Kenne Bell style, is a whole different thing, but stock, no way, no how, never ever!!!!! Trust me.

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought I answered this post already but I don't see my response.
Nobody said the GN was stock. Various people have pointed out these cars run around a 14.0 flat in stock trim and the rarer and quicker GNX still is only mid to low 13s. A GTS even with a bad driver should crush one easily.
But the camera car (also a GN) which walked on both the GTS and the visible GN had to do a burnout before starting so I don't imagine it was on the stock 60 series radials, and the exhaust did not sound like mid 80s vacuum cleaner.
If he has drag radials, 112 octane, and 20lbs of boost his car is capable of around a 12.0. http://www.dragtimes.com/ This isn't a big secret. Same as the TT Supra. The cars come with big turbos and decent fuel delivery from the factory and once you screw the boost pressure up, they go. Internally stock means inside the engine, not that the car isn't running 10 more PSI than it came with out of the factory. Except for the fact the camera car had to do a burnout we really have no idea how modified it may have been so it could have had forged internals, aftermarket turbos, ported heads etc.
Now the GN that is visible is running skinny looking tires on what look like factory rims. He did not do a burnout and does not look like one of the scary fast GNs. Since it isn't possible for a car to run low 12s on 60 series radials I have no explanation for how the "race" played out between him and the GTS. Except the Viper did not hammer the launch, the 1-2 shift was slow enough you wonder if his clutch was bad, and the guy had his elbow hanging out the window like a Friday night cruiser. My guess is the GTS was not representing well and was on his way to a 13.0+ 1/4 mile before he wisely pulled the plug. Maybe some kid who borrowed his dad's car and didn't know how to drive it. Figured all he had to do was show up in the Viper and the race was won. Whatever, he looked like he was having problems.
I don't think most GNs are modified to run a 12.0 or quicker but there may be thousands that are. These cars almost all belong to collectors or racers.
The thread was "86 Grand National beats on a GTS???" Go post the qustion in the Viper Racing Forum "Is it possible for a modified street legal Grand National to beat a stock Viper" and check the responses. THEN post te link to the race.

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned GNX# 529. And as far as speed and style and uniqueness in the 80s rebirth of the musclecar it is one of the pinnacles. But as always Buick awakens once a generation out of its crypt, and produces a kick butt performance package that attracts living,breathing,flesh-and-blood hot rodders back into its showrooms. ANd then inevitable shuffles sleepily back into hebernation and the dark ages. I really miss that car. Sold it to buy my first Viper in 1995. I still love my Viper though the modern day version of the 60s Cobra lives.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started reading this thread and thought, "I can't believe people still post unbelievably stupid crap on this board." Then I saw the date.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Pizzaboy, you keep screwing up by the numbers, dontcha? Take a clue and look at the dates befoe you post, eh? Are you the only Canuck that is this dense? Get back to what ya know, pepperoni an sausage please.....................:rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte