1995 Power Steering fluid question.

pollard4286

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked the power steering fluid in my 1995 rt/10 and its a little low. Can anyone tell me what kind of fluid i need to buy, to top it off. Thanks

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using Valvoline synthetic power steering fluid for years. Use a turkey baster to remove the old fluid from the reservoir and replace with fresh fluid. Repeat this process after you have driven the car for a few miles 2-3 times and you will have replaced the majority of old fluid. Make sure to clean and return your wife's turkey baster where you found it when done. :)

OP
OP
P

pollard4286

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having trouble finding the Valvoline synthetic. I was told it was discontinued. I'm seeing Lucas Oil full synthetic and Royal Purple at all the parts stores. Have you heard any good or bad on these two.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having trouble finding the Valvoline synthetic. I was told it was discontinued. I'm seeing Lucas Oil full synthetic and Royal Purple at all the parts stores. Have you heard any good or bad on these two.
No personal knowledge on the Lucas and Royal Purple. I would say that the service manual says Moper Power Steering Fluid (MS-5931) or equivalent. Note that the standard Valvoline PS fluid bottle is marked that it meets the MS-5931 standard. Some of the other stuff at O'Reilley's and Autozone do not. I have read recommendations in this forum for high temperature applications like track days to use the Redline Power Steering fluid which also says that it meets the MS-5931 standard.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So would you run the plain Valvoline.
Personally, I would unless use your car often for HPDE track days or autocross. I have no particular expertise though. My thought process would be that if Chrysler specifies MS-5931 and this name brand product meets that standard, then it should be acceptable unless there is someone with experience with many Vipers that has seen otherwise. There are definitely those types that visit the various Viper forums who have experience with scores of Vipers. I do not recall reading any threads discussing problems due to PS fluid other than heat put into it during track events. That would be where synthetic fluid would have an advantage in longevity, IMHO. I did some research previously and could not find whether the Mopar fluid is synthetic or not. I would doubt it if the Valvoline conventional fluid meets the same spec.

rdutko

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But absolutely do not use anything other than an official Martha Stewart turkey baster. Whatever you do.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, below is a link to a Viper fluids chart that folks used to be often referred to. It isn't directly accessible any more; but is still available in the "Internet Archive."

Viper Fluids Chart - yandros.com Internet Archive