1996 rt/10 Differential ratio change

sheppga1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there

Looking to change my 1996 rt/10 diff ratio. Where is the best place to buy a crown wheel/pinion and rebuild kit?
Thinking to go 3.55 or 3.73
Had anyone done either of these ratio changes?

Cheers

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You might ask or search down in the RT/10 - GTS forums below. I think I've seen that topic come up several times there, but I don't recall any brands off the top of my head. The name Unitrax comes to mind, but I think they are more halfshafts and carrier unit swaps, not necessarily rings and pinions. I know Yukon seems to be fairly well regarded as well in the differential world, but don't know if they carry the Viper parts and I just noticed you're not based in the States, so not sure what availability or shipping would be like.

littlecaars

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I put 355s in two of my past Viper‘s. A gen2 and a Gen 3. I was satisfied both times. My thoughts on the 373 would be really poor gas mileage and top end would suffer too much. The first one I bought the ring and pinion from Viper Parts and the second I bought just a standard ring and pinion for a Dana 44 rear. No noticeable difference.

OP
OP
S

sheppga1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for you reply. 355 definitely seems the way to go. Where did you get the Dana 44 from? I see these on ebay a lot.