1997 GTS Alarm Reset

Buzz10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After doing some work on my '97 GTS, I have managed to engage the security system without having the FOB programmed. I have disconnected the battery several times, and when reconnected, the lights flash for a few minutes, then the alarm dash light continues to flash indefinately (the horn doesn't blow when the battery is reconnected). The car starts, runs for a few seconds and shuts down. Power door locks do not function. Any suggestions on how to disengage the alarm and avoid a trip to the dealership?

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have asked the same question just to know. I also have a 97. If you can PM with what you find out?

Thanks
John

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy had the saem problem except his was solved with a simple battery disconnect.

Did you touch the positive wire to the chassis after removing it? It will ensure any capacitors are fully discharged. Just a thought.

Rob

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If a battery disconnect/reconnect doesn't do it you're probably gonna need a DRB to reprogram it.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Buzz10...but with you giving us NO usable info in your public profile, and this being your first post, I HOPE that you will understand why some of us don't/won't post all of the "tricks" that will defeat your anti-theft system. No, I don't think that you are a car theif...BUT, some of them can read !!!

Feel free to call me tomorrow if indeed you have not solved the problem with the assorted "help" rendered thus far.

RAY S

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. It appears that the bottom line is that you MUST have a transmitter to dis-engage the alarm system. There is a "teach mode" for a new transmitter and if this fails, the car must find its way to a dealership...

Glad they improved upon this inconvenience in 1998...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ray S...there IS another way short of the trip to a dealer...but, as mentioned above, it will not get posted here for the obvious reasons.

If you like, feel free to contact me. If not, have a nice ride.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Turns out that Ray and I know each other...but we did not recognize the screen names. I think he now has the solution.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the big secret? The technique was first published in 1997/1998 as part of a Chrysler TSB. I first published it about an year or 2 later but those archives are since history. If I recall correctly, it was specific to the 1997 GTS. It was mailed by the New England VCA to all it's members at that time.

The alarm reset does require the use of a working key fob. If a thief has a key fob, then he has already overcome the biggest hurdle. So once again, what's the big secret before I feel inclined to republish my first post on this issue. I think it serves the Viper community better.

As an added safety, this can be published in the VCA member only forum. That's a forum restricted to Viper owners!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
AviP, please help me to understand your point. In the parallel thread on this board, you stated TODAY:

"First get a functional key fob. Without it, opening any lock (driver, passenger, hood, hatch) will activate the alarm. To the best of my knowledge, the alarm on the 1997 GTS cannot be reset without a key fob."

That being the case, I must say that there are indeed other "tricks" that can be used to regain functional status on a Viper that is in "Automatic ShutDown" mode...BUT, I (and most, I believe) feel strongly that it would NOT be in the best interest of the Viper Community in general to post alarm defeating techniques here...and, NO, we are not talking about merely reprogramming a fob in this discussion.

Once it is known with whom we are dealing, several "regular posters" here have helped (and do help) Viper owners out this jam, saving them a ride on "the hook".

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My point is simple. You need a key fob to reset the alarm. And that's the property of the owner, not the thief. So where is the conflict?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You do NOT need a key fob to render the alarm inactive AND place the car into a drivable state...that's the point, in all do respect.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do NOT need a key fob to render the alarm inactive AND place the car into a drivable state...that's the point, in all do respect.
That's scary. I wasn't aware of that. In that case, I agree with your opinion.

Could you pm me this method?