1997 Viper GTS Dyno Runs

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just dynoed my '97 GTS for the first time today. It is essentially stock with a Borla exhaust, K&N filters, smooth tubes and 17,100 miles on the clock.

I made 3 runs, the best of which was 429.25 HP and 458.70 TQ. I thought this was pretty good for an essentially stock car, but how does this compare to everyone else with similar mods?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately I bought the car with the mods already in place, so I don't have anything to compare it to. That's why I was kind of curious to see what numbers everyone else made with similar mods.

sekhmet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Can't really compare it to other dynos because of other factors but its in the correct ballpark I believe.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forget - what's the driveline loss in these cars? I seem to remember it was around 12%.

around there. but a % is not always the best way to calculate flywheel hp. For example using the % method on a TT viper viper would result in a much greater drivetrain loss than a stock viper. This dosnt make sense. All vipers with the same trans/diff/shafts should have the Same total loss...

There is a couple threads on here where SeanROE breaks this down.
I remember him stating that a fixed 60hp loss is what he determined.

I personaly think the number could be closer to 50 seeing that stock gen2's put down around 400 to the wheels, and the flywheel rating is 450:
450-400 = 50hp drivetrainloss
but hey, who am i to dissagree with Sean:dunno: