1999 ACR pros and cons?

schackman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fellas,

I am in the market for an older ACR. There is one my neighbor has thats the 1st year 1999.

I owned a 2001 yellow GTS back in 2001 (non ACR) and found it to be a great car.

I believe that the 99's had forged pistons as well.

Any pros and cons to the acr? I understand from a source that the original Koni shocks on 99's are **** to go bad and are very expensive to replace.

Anyone owners with any insite would be appreciated on all aspects of the ACR.

I have a 2008 ACR thats been on order since October, but am now obviously weighing the option of an older car for 60% less.

Thanks,
Brian

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only con I can think of.....no abs

oh yea,the dynamic dampers on the 01,02 models leak as well.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
60% less, how much is he selling it for - 40k. If so jump on it. I would expect mid 50s all day.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pro's; '99 forged internals, great suspension if you track it, Konis vs. dynamics, limited #'s, great wheels, great resale.

Con's, no ABS, gen II brakes, suspension not for everybody, harder to replace shocks that sometime leak, wheels are a ***** to clean and $$$ to replace.

Go drive it and make sure you're OK with the suspension. I had a red '99 for 5 years, 16K miles, 15-20 track days, never had a shock issue or any other issue. Add roller rockers and header/exhaust set up and you'll have the best sounding viper ever made. Sold it to get an '06 coupe, miss it but enjoy the gen III more. Sold it close to 2 years ago, unless the mileage rose dramatically, it would cost me close to what I sold it for to get it back.

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't expect your ACR to go up in value a lot over the next few years, but eventually, the ACR will see a significant increase in value. They are among the rarest of all the Viper varients. All Vipers are underpriced right now, but this will change, especially if Chrysler stops production, and also when car people finally figure out what a special car they are. This is a good time to start buying Vipers and enjoying them, while at the same time investing in their future price appreciation. And don't stop with just one, I 've got four now and may add to this number in the future.

OP
OP
S

schackman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't expect your ACR to go up in value a lot over the next few years, but eventually, the ACR will see a significant increase in value. They are among the rarest of all the Viper varients. All Vipers are underpriced right now, but this will change, especially if Chrysler stops production, and also when car people finally figure out what a special car they are. This is a good time to start buying Vipers and enjoying them, while at the same time investing in their future price appreciation. And don't stop with just one, I 've got four now and may add to this number in the future.

I am not buying for any increase of value.

What I am looking for is a viper thats about 1/2 of what the 08 ACR will be (100,400 plus tax 6,000)

For the high $40's low 50's I think the 99 ACR is a real value. And with a few mods to the engine the car should have about 500+ ponies which is just fine for the street.

Thanks for the info guys!

Brian

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't compare the older ACR's to the new ACR's, especially at the track. If you want a ********* road racing car that you can drive at the track, the new ACR is it (more R&D the old ones). If you will mostly drive the car on the street, then you need to ask yourself what body style you like best.

Like others mentioned, all Gen II ACR shocks tend to leak sooner. They're excellent shocks, you just need to maintain them often, like any other race parts. You don't need to replace the shocks, because they can be rebuilt for less than $500, and recommended to be done every 10K-15K miles.

Prepare for a tight/stiff suspension. Otherwise, you will be disappointed with any ACR.

OP
OP
S

schackman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't compare the older ACR's to the new ACR's, especially at the track. If you want a ********* road racing car that you can drive at the track, the new ACR is it (more R&D the old ones). If you will mostly drive the car on the street, then you need to ask yourself what body style you like best.

Like others mentioned, all Gen II ACR shocks tend to leak sooner. They're excellent shocks, you just need to maintain them often, like any other race parts. You don't need to replace the shocks, because they can be rebuilt for less than $500, and recommended to be done every 10K-15K miles.

Prepare for a tight/stiff suspension. Otherwise, you will be disappointed with any ACR.

I am aware of what the car is. I am also no stranger to the Viper Brand having owned a 2001 RT 10 and GTS and also a 2006 Supercharged Viper that I had set up for the track.

I know what $100,400 will buy me in the new 2008 ACR as I have had my deposit in since October 2007.

Knowing what the GEN2 ACR's were ( basically smooth tubes with filters, small bump in power, adjustable KONI shocks for 1999, wheels, spring rates, harness) my question was for ACR owners their experience with the car and any pros and cons they have experienced within their ownership.

I would and do expect that the new 08 ACR is way more developed than the 1999 ACR.

What I am looking at is a GEN2 ACR body style that can be had fun with and modified for roughly 1/2 the cost of the new one. FUN is FUN obviously technology has changed in the vipers favor........

But having driven and owned Gen 2 and Gen 3....A Viper is still a Viper...True.

Any more comments on the 99' ACR are welcomed and appreciated!

B

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you already owned an RT/10 and GTS, there's no other differences than the ones you already know.

OP
OP
S

schackman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you already owned an RT/10 and GTS, there's no other differences than the ones you already know.

Thanks.

Although I like too know alot about the cars I have, owned and I am interested in....I still like to ask questions.

Asking a question for an answer is free.

Its after the fact that it tends to get expensive.

I believed I was on track with what I knew, but had to ask anyway.

B

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 08 ACR would look a litle out of place on the streets. so if money is the differnce choose which you can best afford.

mini viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I've had any other vipers to compare it to, but I absolutely love my black/silver 99 acr. Hard shocks and all... (sorry, no useful information)

Viper ACR Lover 02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I've had any other vipers to compare it to, but I absolutely love my black/silver 99 acr. Hard shocks and all... (sorry, no useful information)

I feel that same about my 02 Graphite/silver. Unfortunately, the shocks need to be rebuilt/replaced b/c they are leaking. Minor setback. Goodluck.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pro:

You must be registered for see images attach

Con:

Uhh.. I'll let you know when I get back if I think of any! :)

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
S

schackman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08 ACR would look a litle out of place on the streets. so if money is the differnce choose which you can best afford.

I agree with your first comment. I saw the Red and black tire rack car here in NW Indiana last week.... The finest ACR to date for sure!!!!!!........:usa:

.....but on the street, IMO the car looks out of place with the big wing mostly. I feel like I would look like a total poser in the 08' out about town:omg:

Most of my driving is done on the street and on trips...and if I have time, I go to autobahn with my father and his friends....

.....I havent been there in 2.5 years......that tells you the time a have to devout to tracking a car....

That is why I am looking into the Gen2 ACR....especially the 99' for its forged internals.

Thanks guys:headbang:

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 'ACR' label alone means very little to me. If I wanted a track tuned suspension, I would rather have a GTS with a set of Penske coil overs then an ACR. If I wanted a street car, I'd stick with the quieter softer ride of the standard suspension. If I could afford it, I'd be all over the new ACR.

Just my .02,

Jim

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel that same about my 02 Graphite/silver. Unfortunately, the shocks need to be rebuilt/replaced b/c they are leaking. Minor setback. Goodluck.

Maybe a good time to replace the rear springs if you haven't done so already. Switching from 1100 lb springs ('00-'02 ACR's) to 750 lb springs ('99 ACR's) will make a difference.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ooley and Blackburn in Carmel, Indiana just got a beautiful 99 black on black with 3,000+/- miles. I love the black with the silver BBS wheels.

Dodge Viper GTS ACR Edition Ooley & Blackburn in Indianapolis, IN Dealer Used Cars - Details

Im glad to see them going for good money still :)

BTW just because its a 1999 and out of warranty doesnt mean you cant get the extended max care warranty. I got it when i bought my car 2 years ago and it has saved me. My shocks are leaking now and im HOPING this warranty covers it, it says it does.

Call around some sponsored dealers here and ask about the extended warranty, you would be surprised :)