1st-2nd shift issue

LethalBite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't happen all the time, but mainly if it's at low RPM's I can't get a smooth shift into 2nd. I can go into any other gear from first with no problem. Just getting from 1st to 2nd is the problem. Like I said, it usually is at low speeds, it's like 2nd isn't even a shift option, even with clutch all the way to floor. I wanted to ask you guys about it first before consulting dealer.

Speaking of which, I need a good referral to a great ViperTech in North Georgia!

ggc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This may be the shift lockout. Look to see if the white arrow is lit up when you experience this problem. It forces a shift to fourth rather than second below a certain RPM (1500 - 1800??? not sure). If that is the problem see the upgrades on this website. There is a fix, or you can just put the loud pedal down a little more and the problem goes away and your smile gets bigger.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the american way to better fuel economy. Have a 488 ci. V-10 but make it dump into 4th if you are driving like a pansy.

Fix: Stop driving it like a *****-waist.

:)

There is a skip shift elimanator you can plug in but I think it is just a disconnect.

Good luck with your car!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yep, if driving at less than ?1/4? throttle in first, Skip-Shift turns on and locks yoyu out of 2nd. Solutions are either:

1. Dont drive like a ***** and ride out the gear until the arrow turns off
2. Purchase a skip-Shift eliminator
3. Deal with it now that you know what it is, and just shift to 4.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, if driving at less than ?1/4? throttle in first, Skip-Shift turns on and locks yoyu out of 2nd. Solutions are either:

1. Dont drive like a ***** and ride out the gear until the arrow turns off
2. Purchase a skip-Shift eliminator
3. Deal with it now that you know what it is, and just shift to 4.

I like number 1. Heh-heh. Who drives like a *****?
Certainly not I. They don't call me Lead-Foot Diana, for nothing. *smirk*

You must be registered for see images

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That SSE from RMG is a rip off. A 2200 ohms, 1/2 watt or 1/4 watt resistor will do the same thing. 3 cents at any radio shack. It will do the same thing without throwing a code. The one from RMG is nice and clean if you dont want to do the resistor thing.

Good luck.

Option 1 from Dan is still your best "Bang for the buck"

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is pretty easy to "learn" how much throttle to give to not get the 1-4 skip shift. If you get it down, you will find that it is not much at all and you do not have to accelerate quickly. So, with practice you can still drive like a pansy and shift 1-2. Don't ask how I know... :p

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's see, North Georgia....dealer didn't tell you about the skip shift....hmmmm I wonder which stealership that was.

OP
OP
L

LethalBite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, thanx for input...it's really only an issue when coming from downtown anytime after 4pm...the locals know what I mean.

As for the dealer...it was Palmer Dodge off of 400.