1st time @ drags; results / input

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to the drag races for the first time in the snake, here are my results of 3 runs are below. I'm looking for input on the times, but more on the mph considering my mods (see signature). I got there for test & tune & the three runs were made back to back, immediately, it was a pretty hot day, the thermo was just above 190. First run was a slide fest, the track was very slippery, second was nasty slick, but third was very scary, on first run I slid from near the rail to near the center on a 3rd gear change. Last two runs were made short shifting at 5K rpm into second and third to control sliding. Second run third hit the rev limiter (ouch), third run I had to shift into fourth just before getting to the lights at the end - I guess this was due to short shifting?!? Any input is appreciated.

Dave.
First
R/T .619
60ft 1.970
1/8 8.47
1/4 12.96
mph 111.97
Second
R/T .650
60ft 1.971
1/8 8.30
1/4 12.61
mph 117.04
Third
R/T .502
60ft 1.978
1/8 8.25
1/4 12.53
mph 117.54

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are pretty much on target for your MPH. I know that with pretty much the same mods (Snake Oyl rear muffler delete instead of Belanger catback) my trap speeds are very similar - usually in the 117's. I have had a few up in the 119's and 120's (best of 12.04 @ 120.5). In your case, I am impressed with two things:

1. Your reaction times. Not your first time on the strip, eh? A .502 light is phenomenal no matter how you slice it.

2. Your 60' times are the most consistent I have ever seen on a Viper and incredible for the first time out with it. Most people tend to experiment with different launch techniques to whittle down their numbers. They usually start out with 2.20's and 2.30's and go from there. In Kansas City, it is VERY tough to get below a 2.00 because of the poor track preparation. The fact you pulled off three 1.97's is awesome!

There are more experienced drag racers here that can give you better advice (I am a novice myself). The one thing that I can tell you is with stock gearing (3:07) I ALWAYS go through the traps in fourth gear. I am completely wound out by the time I finish third gear - holding onto it through the traps hurt my times the few times I tried it early on. With a slippery track, be VERY careful of accidental down shifts, especially with the stock shifter. You can sometimes go from 3rd back to 2nd in the excitement and that can be BAAAAAD on a slick track. Keep that clutch foot at the ready just in case.

Again, great times!

Chris

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daffy,

By the looks of the consistancy of your 60' times, Id say you are on your way to be one bad asp drag racer!

Your times....last run....seem to be in order for the 60' times that you posted. A slippery track KILLS, elapsed times. Your MPH is good.

Several vipers ran similiar times at our SE regional VOI this weekend where the track was very, very slick, temps were in the upper 90's(over 110 on the track), with humidity around 97%.

Keep up the good work, practice launching at higher rpms while slightly slipping the clutch to avoid excessive wheelspin.

Tom

OP
OP
D

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some extra points.

My rear tires were at 42psi when I checked them just before the first run, I hadn't driven the car since my last Solo II event a week earlier. I didn't want to mess with the psi as I didn't really know where to put it, but I know 42 is too high for dragging.

I also wasn't sure of the best shift points for my nearly stock snake. Because of traction I was shifting by 5K rpm every time (with a granny shift, slow & controlled), any input on shift points?

I really wanted a "low twelve" at "nearly 120mph" run, not "mid twelves". But I guess I'm man enough to say I was afraid to drive it any harder with the 2nd & especially 3rd gear lack of traction. Just like when I autox, this car has so much more than I do, I feel like I let it down.

Dave.
embarass.gif

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the above comments that you should be pleased with your RT's and 60' times. Also, Chris is right, even with the 3.07 gear, you're going to need fourth. So, **** it up and make the shift as quickly and smoothly as possible.

With the short times you have there, low 12's are certainly possible. Get the short time down to 1.8 territory, and you can see 11's. You need to be shifting much closer to 6000 rpm, though. I recommend you try shifting when you see 5700-5800 rpm come up on the tach. Do that and you'll actually be executing the shift very close to 6000 rpm. You will see improvements in both trap speed and ET. I'm not saying you should've done this with the track conditions you had, but next time the track is hooking up the whole way, give it a try and see what happens.

No doubt someone will tell me I am FOS; I'm just saying what works for me. Ultimately you have to play around with shift poitns yourself and decide what works for you.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are different schools of thought on tire pressure, so I would largely defer to the experts on it. However, I can tell you that many think you should decrease the pressure to allow more flex and for the tire to "mold" itself to the ground more. They suggest that you drop the back pressure to 22-25 pounds. The problem with that is that when running on stock radials, especially with 18" rims like we have, there isn't a whole lot of "flex" in them anyway. Some say that decreasing the pressure on radials simply makes them cup in the middle and get poorer traction. Those same people suggest increasing the PSI on radials to get the best traction, but only by a few pounds in the back tires. Just about everybody agrees that you should increase the front pressure to 40 pounds or so to shave a couple 100th's off. The increased pressure makes for less rolling resistance, at least that is what I am told. All that said, I am too lazy to drag a compressor to the track so I just leave everything pretty much stock all the way around (30#). I have noticed that sometimes when I decrease the pressure slightly my times worsen. I have gone as far down as 19# in the back, which seemed to help a little bit but also seemed a bit dangerous with such a short sidewall on the 18" rims. I haven't tried the increased pressure in the back tires, but probably will next time out. It certainly didn't seem to hurt you in your 60' times - I am still amazed!

As to shift points, I think you want to ride it out on the torque curve. I don't think the horsepower curve is as important. If you haven't dyno'ed your car yet, here is my dyno sheet for you to look at the curves. You will notice that the horsepower peaks at 5,500 rpms, but that the torque has long since fallen off at that point. The 2000's don't have the low end torque that the earlier cars did, but they do seem to have a broader range of peak torque - from about 3,500 to about 4,700. Although it may seem a bit early, I would think shifting at around 4,700 would do well as long as your next gear was already at 3,500 rpm. I am ashamed to say that in my many, many runs I have never once looked at my tach - I am a seat of the pants guy and that is probably why I have not hit 11's yet. Looking at Mike's comments above, he has hit 11's so I may be full of it. I just can't envision that with a 2000 you would want to shift that late, as you have already lost 10% of your horsepower and almost 30% of your torque. Of course, this is all in theory, as I am guessing I shift around 5,100 and have even hit the rev limiter a time or two. I will definitely watch the tach next time!

Finally, don't ever feel you let your car down. I think of mine as just having a blast out there playing around. I know for a fact I can get better times than I have, I am just not quite sure how to do it. The car is incredibly strong and ALWAYS willing. You will have the opportunity to make many, many runs with that black beauty, so enjoy them all and know that your car is happy to be exercised no matter how well it is done.

Chris

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About the RPM shift point.higher RPM shifts will help you if your an average driver.The better drivers can shift at peak power mid 5's and keep that consistant in the motor.I ran 12:34@115 with a 2.0 60ft.and I did this for a living.Good thing I still got my day job.With a whopping 385rwhp.Now im ready for the big boys with my new exhaust and stuff.It's time to bite the track back!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude