1st Time Gen 2 buyer - Need Advice

Robert Kennedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my two cents and nothing more but I think there is much better deals out there... especially with a 65k mile car... unless there is something special about this car you have to have that's all the money for a high mile car with black sills, again just my opinion

one of my buddies just picked up a grey 99 GTS with 43k miles for $34k and was a very clean well taken care of car

Robert Kennedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also try doing a "tempest search" for craigslist... It will search all cities on CL, there are quite a few Vipers for sale, check out the red 97 GTS in Houston with 21k miles asking $45k

KyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Monkey Motors is just about right. That poor GTS has been really worked over. Run away or you will be posting for help here with it.
Listen to others posters here and look for a much better Viper. It might take a little time and work, but better ones are out there for a little more money up front versus a whole lot later.
When I bought my 97 5 years ago it took me about two years to find the right one and then a couple of more to get the owner to sell it.
Well worth the effort.
KyViper

OP
OP
S

Steve Archer

VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks all - going to keep looking but want to have one bought by spring!! Another quick question - i found a nice one that has aftermarket wheels and he doesn't have the originals does that decrease the resale value?

Robert Kennedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 2 wheels are pretty easy to find and the 18s a little easier to get tires, a few sets on CL tempest search as well, was a nice polished set in Cal if memory serves for about $950

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also try doing a "tempest search" for craigslist... It will search all cities on CL, there are quite a few Vipers for sale, check out the red 97 GTS in Houston with 21k miles asking $45k
I was goofing around on CL and thot I'd check out the "tempest search" feature. Couldn't find it. How is it found or activated? Thx in advance.

Robert Kennedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry it's actually "search tempest" just type in what your looking for, the category and distance... You will have to go through some posts having nothing to do what your looking for as people put anything in their posts for "key words"

You must be registered for see images attach

Robert Kennedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/820158989/overview/ - one owner with 12k - consignment at this dealership. all service records go with the car - folder is 1" thick. Is this priced right and would you drive it 700 miles with the original tires on it?
Nice car by the pics and description, not too overpriced and one owner a bonus...

Nice car by the pics and description, not too overpriced at all especially being a "one owner" car in my opinion, hopefully the dealer doesn't have big "fees" to add... I think a nice find. I personally wouldn't drive it 700 miles on original tires, at least not very fast anyway, might be worth the trailering home or just get the new tires on before the drive and also might be bargaining point with dealership.
When I purchased my first Viper the tires were older, the dealership got some local quotes for new tires (17"s) so they took $2000 off the price of the car.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree with Robert. It’s so new to you that it’s probably best to trailer it home and then sort the things that age: change all fluids (trans, oil, differential, coolant), put in a new battery if yours is over two years old, give it a basic tune of plugs and wires, check the hoses for signs of aging or leaking, etc... And not least, throw those old tires away! OTOH, with new tires, a full tank of premium, and 70+ MPH speed limits the 700 mile drive home could be a great time to get comfortable with your new toy! Flip a coin...

Congratulations!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steve Archer

VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help all. She's in the garage and awaiting warmer weather, new shoes, new fluids and some TLC. I rented a U Haul trailer and had her back yesterday morning. Upgraded my membership and excited to share my experiences. Absolutely flawless car. not a scratch on until I loaded it on the trailer. Dang it! It should buff out though :)

Robert Kennedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your help all. She's in the garage and awaiting warmer weather, new shoes, new fluids and some TLC. I rented a U Haul trailer and had her back yesterday morning. Upgraded my membership and excited to share my experiences. Absolutely flawless car. not a scratch on until I loaded it on the trailer. Dang it! It should buff out though :)
Congrats on the purchase... yeah with the u-haul trailers you either have to back them on with some boards or remove the front stop plates on the trailer, hope it's not too bad... enjoy the new ride

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to laugh, my Viper is as perfect as you can get, but every little mark on her, which I only know where they are was done by me. Some times being to careful can back fire.

Banshee

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
When dealers get a hold of a GTS, they always seem to skyrocket the price. Pass on that one, leave it to the 'Monkeys'.

pdxrx7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great choice! I've been watching Gen 2 Vipers for the better part of a year and finally ready to buy. I had bookmarked the one you bought and saw it was sold, glad to see it find a good home! Of course cold weather is here and listings are fewer so I'll probably be looking for another few months lol My wife feels an RT/10 would be best anyway so I'm leaning that direction. Feel free to post some pictures if you get a chance, it will give me something to drool over while I'm searching! :)

Congrats!