2 days go when asked to race....

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While out driving a couple of days ago, I pulled into a gas station and noticed a 2000 Z28 Camaro parked in front. (not that I look for other hotrods when I'm out cruising the Viper or anything) Anyway, after fueling my Viper, I got back in the car and was about to bust her off when I saw a young man walking out to the Z28 with a sack in his hand. Here is what ensued......

He meandered over while I was buckling up for safety. With a wry smile on his face, he said, "wanna race?" Being the mature, experienced, cool adult that I am, I replied, "what, that Z28?" With an affirmative nod from this young man, I continued with, "don't you pick races you think you can win?" He then told me that he 'just wanted to see the Viper run'. I told him that we didn't need to race for that and told him to hop in. With a huge smile on his face he piled in and buckled up.

Some of you have heard me talk about having access to an airport? I made a bee-line for the airport while asking him if he had a few minutes. After replying that he had 'plenty of time', I drove like a granny out to the airport. I think he thought I was just giving it the 'old geezer' pleasure cruise.
You must be registered for see images

When we got out to the airport, I stopped and made him buckle up in the 5-point harness, (you know, the ones that have been recalled). I then proceeded to hammer through the same course the SCCA uses when they race here. After 4 laps, I stopped on the back straightaway and launched the car as hard as I could and speed shifted through 2nd, 3rd and into 4th. In fact, that was kind of fun so we did it again.

After that, I made a cool down lap and we headed back to the Exxon where we had left his car. When we got back, I noticed that in his haste, he had left his sack on the trunk of his car.

We sat in the car and visited for a while. Some of his comments were that he 'had no idea how hard a Viper pulled', and that he 'couldn't believe how well it cornered'. I had particular satisfaction a couple of times when I looked over at him and he was stiff as a board. I bet his butt wasn't touching the seat he was so stiff.

Willie is a great kid. He's 17 years old, home schooled and very well mannered. He races his Z28 in San Angelo where he put down a very respectable 13.31 with his modded Z28 a couple of weeks ago. I bet I see him in San Angelo. I sure wish my 8 second drag car had a second seat!

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great story Paul, we should all do stuff like that. I did the same thing with a neighbor kid in my 00 360 Modena it made this kids year. Not to mention that he no longer thinks I some stuck up guy With a Viper and Ferrari.I like to share the thrills. I will give anyone a ride.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Don, I live in the neighborhood (kinda - Canton), I've got a Z28 (kinda - SS), and I'm a kind (kinda - 24), and I just happen to want a 360 more than any other car (Viper is of course 2nd, but I can actually afford a Viper...).

So, anytime you're feeling like being kind again, let me know.

Can't blame me for trying.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story Paul! These are the types of things I love to hear about myself, as it really brightens peoples days. I would be willing to bet that Willie will have a Viper in his future. He is bitten...

Chris

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well 2tall,

I am sorry to say that the incredible ferrari 360 F1 left for tampa this past week. i am sad. butt i did make a few bucks on the car.i have a 360 F1 spider coming with in the year so i will keep you in mind. see you at the club events this summer.

Don