2001 GTS Stereo Build

Erick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As a quick intro, this is just a walk through and the reasoning on my stereo build for my 2001 GTS, and it's pic heavy. Though I don’t always listen to the radio, I definitely can appreciate a quality system and enjoy one on the longer drives (adds variety to the engine sounds). Given how terrible the stock system was (and both front speakers blown), I decided to replace the entire system and add a subwoofer.

Parts:
- Alpine SPS-600c – Front Replacement Speakers (these are obviously the component model of the SPS-600)
- Alpine SPS-600 – Rear Replacement Speakers
- JL 10” Sub
- JL Amp – Bridged for ideal RMS Sub output
- Sony Amp – RMSx4 output is ideal for the handling of the Alpine speakers.
- A generic head unit. The key on this was it was reasonably priced, had inputs for USB and Auxiliary cable, and had three RCA outputs (front, rear, and sub) to run to the amps.

After having read all the discussions and posts about losing your spare tire and blocking the vents I made it my goal to do neither, while creating an incredible sounding system, having usable space in the back, and being extremely easy to remove for track days. Looks weren't critical, in fact I prefer it to remain hidden.

Here are the results of my efforts:
You must be registered for see images attach

Sadly, this picture doesn't do it justice. But viewing from the top down the hatch storage area looks stock.

I built a custom sealed box with MDF wood designed to the ideal size fitment to the hatch space, but built with the exact recommended air volume of the subwoofer I used (that info can be found on any sub when you buy it). I mounted the amps on either side of the box on ‘wings’ jutting out of the box itself, and then covered the amps with a carpeted frame of MDF board (actually carpeted all MDF in the build to give it a clean look) that is held down using Velcro on the bottom to stick to the carpet of the Viper. Finally, the subwoofer was placed in the exact center of the spare tire enclosure, so it allows the spare tire to still go in. I removed the cardboard framing of the tire cover, but it really doesn’t impede any of the sound brought from the sub, and doesn’t block the rear speakers either.

Long story short, it sounds AMAZING. It’s capabilities are far more than I expected (it can go higher than anyone could bear listening to it), it doesn’t in any way block the vents, it still lets the spare tire to be stored there, and you can still even put items on top of the frames I built over the amps so there remains usable space. When put together it’s not even visible as a modified section of the car and of course finally, I can have the entire system out of the car in less than one minute.

OP
OP
E

Erick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So to sum it up, goals were achieved.

- Great sound
- Vents not blocked
- Spare tire still there
- Still usable space back there
- Easily removable
- Looking in not visible

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job :2tu: It's hard to tell from the pics, but I hope you left some space between your amp covers and tops of the amps, these are heat sinks and need air space to cool and not burn up!;)

oh and great car color!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice. I have RT Cats and Corsa's so I have no need for a stereo.

Even with an awesome sytem like you have I suspect I won't hear it over the Corsa's anyway.

If I am taking a long trip where I want to listen to music I will take the Callaway Corvette. The Viper sounds so nice I would rather listen to its exhaust note anyway.

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where did you get the postive cable from to power the amp? Straight from the battery or did you pull a wire from the front to the back?

If you got it from the battery, where did you make the hole for it?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job! That was what I wanted to do but couldn't figure out a way. I had to compromise and lost the spare tire. How did you fit the jack in there?