2001 R/T Value?

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't been on here as often lately nor do I really trust "ebay" prices. Long story short:

Dad's business is sucking ass in this economy. He has a '42 Pontiac Silver Streak (project car, acid dipped & worked on by a well known restoration & rod shop) or the 2001 Viper R/T ( I think 9,000mile range ) to sell. I'd rather sell the Pontiac to be honest... regardless, one has to go...

What kind of price would you expect on an '01 Yellow R/T that is in great shape, no blemishes that I can remember, stored indoor climate controlled shop, one owner and 100% stock.

I hate to even think of him selling it... I really do... but I'd rather get involved rather than have them sell either one through anybody else (so many "friends" want to "help" them and list it for them on ebay/craigslist/ect for a little $)

EDIT: and for the record, I am not trying to sell it on here, if that ever happens, i will post in the appropriate place. I just want some experienced input. It'd be nice if it didn't even need to sell...

Last edited:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Plum said, those numbers are about right for tops. I would say that about $38K is the top of the line via private sale but might be hard because many dealers would be trying to get that number as well. Most likely I would say $35K is about the number you could expect assuming it is a clean car with no accidents. The market ironically has gotten better than last year but still with $4.00 a gallon prices, most people are still shying away. Just for reference, a almost brand new (2K miles) one owner Red 2002 RT sold last month for $41K at a dealer.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had negotiated a 2001 Yellow RT with 18k a few months back to $32,000, deal fell through the day I was going to drive to NY and pick it up because the guy decided he wanted cash instead of the a bank check. I already had me bank cut one, I was pretty ticked and did not feel comfortable carrying that amount of money around to a area and person I did not know but he then said he would drive it to me.....great I said I rushed to the bank before they closed as it was saturday and asked for cash....they said they could only give me 10k per day in cash and I would have to fill out some IRS form. Told the seller you can have 10k in cash and the rest in a bank check and said he would wait until I had the cash...the following few weeks I was in the Bahamas and said it was now or never......he said let me think about it and I never picked up his calls again.....now I am going to take that money and buy a condo in florida. Sorry been needing to vent that for a while, if your car is A+ condition with 9k miles I would expect between 35 and 38, anyone offering in that range take it

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Plum said, those numbers are about right for tops. I would say that about $38K is the top of the line via private sale but might be hard because many dealers would be trying to get that number as well. Most likely I would say $35K is about the number you could expect assuming it is a clean car with no accidents. The market ironically has gotten better than last year but still with $4.00 a gallon prices, most people are still shying away. Just for reference, a almost brand new (2K miles) one owner Red 2002 RT sold last month for $41K at a dealer.

Well. obviously the red RT got less money because it was red.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the reserve hasn't been met at that price and it hasn't sold so no way to tell what the seller is actually looking to get or whether it will sell.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that a new rule, that we can't include Ebay ads to show members or make a point? Members do it all the time, seems strange :(

If it is a new rule, I'd like to know the reasoning for it! (Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread).

What were we talking about??? Oh yeah, I do think its a good idea to paint the yellow RT red, in order to make it more sellable! :D

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that a new rule, that we can't include Ebay ads to show members or make a point? Members do it all the time, seems strange :(

If it is a new rule, I'd like to know the reasoning for it! (Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread).

What were we talking about??? Oh yeah, I do think its a good idea to paint the yellow RT red, in order to make it more sellable! :D

It's a really OLD rule, to make sure that those posters who are not VCA Members actually pay for a classified ad. Ads are free for VCA Members and $30 for anyone else. Obviously if someone links an EBay ad in they avoid the charge to buy a classified.
If a VCA member links an EBay ad in it's OK although we do like VCA members to post a classified as well as it's free.
It get's a little more confusing as we try to actually determine if the poster is trying to sell a car or a part or is posting a link to warn others of a bad buy, those we try and leave as obviously the link is not helping the seller but warning everyone here. Hope that explanation helps, it's a fine line sometimes.

V

Venomiss

Variable for pricing.

Does it have any type of warranty?
Does it have all service records and receipts?
Does it have fresh tires?
Do you have a Carfax on it?
Has any recall work been done?
Accidents?

Then get on Ebay and start researching.
Then call a few dealers around the country to ask for their input on pricing.
Check the classifieds here to see what others are asking and spend $30 for an ad here. See what response you get if you don't need to "sell it now".

Be sure to include yellow cars are faster in your ad.:)

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I get it....makes sense! I guess I took it as any Ebay ad, even when making a point about someone else's ad.

Thanks...must be my coffee this morning! :D

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Variable for pricing.

Does it have any type of warranty?
Does it have all service records and receipts?
Does it have fresh tires?
Do you have a Carfax on it?
Has any recall work been done?
Accidents?

Then get on Ebay and start researching.
Then call a few dealers around the country to ask for their input on pricing.
Check the classifieds here to see what others are asking and spend $30 for an ad here. See what response you get if you don't need to "sell it now".

Be sure to include yellow cars are faster in your ad.:)

Venomiss what would we do without you. I can't tell you have many times you've made sense of things that didn't seem like they made sense. I really think thats a good idea, you should have some perks for being a member & even more for being a Venom member.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang