2001 RT/10 TSB Front Brake Rotors and Pads, READ!!!!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, that's interesting. In 2000's or earlier, squealing is normal. I suppose with ABS, the squealing would be less or nonexistant.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if the Pads are different than a 2000 without ABS. I picked my car up in detriot. When I went for the factory tour I told the top guy there (don't remember his name) that they squealed loudly. His response was "you are buying a street legal race car and the brakes will squeak." He told me to consider the aftermarket pads. I didn't really like the response, but what can you do.

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole "street legal race car" thing may be more of a marketing propostion than truth, I think, particularly when it comes to brakes. Personally, I'm used to the noise, but I'm also a bit punchy. However, it's sorta tough to fault anyone who has a problem with it when there are a bunch of other "race cars", some with four doors and back seats and GPS and climate control that will handily, and silently, out-brake the Dodge.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's pretty weak. Since when are races won or lost on brakes alone?

Many people who frequent both the track and this BBS have proven time and again that a box-stock Viper (bad brakes and all) can handily outrun (read: stomp the crud out of) a tube-frame, driver's seat only, noisy, rough racecar on slick tires.

A Viper IS a racecar with license plates. (and a 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty)

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Please post the TSB # for it along with the dealer (tech). Stock brake noise has been an ongoing issue that will always be there in some degree with stock pads. The rotor replacement is what I want to see the TSB # for.

Today, there are very few TSB's on the 2001 Vipers and none with brake issues:

Report Date: April 11, 2001 02:13:08 PM

Service Bulletin Number: 0803600
Bulletin Sequence Number: 156
Date of Bulletin: 0011
NHTSA Item Number: SB615687
Make: DODGE
Model: VIPER COUPE
Year: 2001
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING CIRCUITS EFFECTED BY IGNITION OFF DRAW (IOD) FUSE. *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 0803600
Bulletin Sequence Number: 156
Date of Bulletin: 0011
NHTSA Item Number: SB615687
Model: VIPER
Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING CIRCUITS EFFECTED BY IGNITION OFF DRAW (IOD) FUSE. *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 0803800
Bulletin Sequence Number: 166
Date of Bulletin: 0012
NHTSA Item Number: SB616718
Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING SAFETY SYSTEMS - VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS / REPAIR. *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 082700
Bulletin Sequence Number: 609
Date of Bulletin: 0009NHTSA Item Number: SB6092304
Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS pASSIVE RESTRAINT:AIR BAG
Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING NON-DEPLOYED AIRBAG HANDLING PROCEDURES. *TT

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I too struck out

Koop..........you do not allow direct E-mail replies, so i ask you here:

You SAID we 'Might be interested' and we are! ........then you say 'drop if off at your dealer.' !!!!

We want to ask YOUR dealer! You have done the equivalent of yelling FIRE in a crowded chatroom ! How about YOU checking with YOUR dealer and getting us that (alleged) TSB.....make your dealer fess up. Then spill. Thanks.

I suspect an old 1997 brake-squeek TSB is what the dealer is mentioning, and we all would appreciate you nipping this in the bud, at the source.....since YOUR DEALER is the source.. MANY THANKS

Reaction score
What are the odds being offered for a real problem vs the the old noise concerns? High performance brake pads are noisy. Like any thing you try to maximize compromises are made. Best friction between rotor and pad, temperature range for max friction, pad life, then add pad dust, noise from braking, cost of pads. My 2001 S500 makes more noise during city driving than my GT2. Noise is part of the performance braking process and as far as I am concerned Viper brakes are great for street use.

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My reply was to Marc's post wherein he stated that a factory representative told him that "you are buying a street legal race car and the brakes will squeak". I'm saying that statement smacks of hyperbole when there are a number of street cars that will outbrake a Viper (pre-'01, anyway) without squeaking.

Again, my brakes squeak. They have since I bought the car in '97. I don't care. But it's tough to come up with a legitimate argument to someone who does. The factory rep's statement being a case in point.

GTS Tenney - No Team

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are no current TSB's on the 2001 Viper. I would imagine that this is the same old brake squeak we have all come to know and love. Jon B is probably 99.9% correct , especially as nothing comes up on the computer for new TSB's. We all know the brakes make more noise than we might like, but it is not a safety issue. I wonder if the dealer that the car was taken to works on very many Vipers , as he would have known of the concern among some owners about noise. High metallic content pads do make alot of racket ( some worse than others ) , but a switch to the Porterfields or the ones the WingKing is selling seem to quiet them down alot. Have fun, drive your Snake, and don't worry that something is defective.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Bill, Thanks for confirming there are no brake TSBs on the 2001 Vipers. I still want to know which dealer and tech here in AZ was telling him he needed rotors after only 628 miles and that there was a TSB for replacing those rotors! I have my suspicions and it's just that kind of warranty junk that makes it hard for the legit claims. Come on Koop...........

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i.e.

The Scoop from Koop was dealer Poop.
No TSB for you and me to see.
The squeel is gone, with 2 new rotors.
I wonder if they work on motors?

Burma Shave

Latest posts

Forum statistics