2001 RT/10 WITH 400 MILES: NEED NEW TRANSMISSION!!! Paging: RoyV101621 and others

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read a post by "ndvipergtsr" about an engine noise a couple days ago and it got me worried. I noticed a similar noise on my car too. After reading this post (and speaking with RoyV101621) I scheduled an appointment with my Viper tech. at Koller Dodge in Naperville, IL. This is the list of problems I gave them...

·High pitch sound at about 2,500 RPM’s, only heard when in gear. Best heard when driving in 2nd gear shifting to 3rd gear.

·Breaks squeal when I brake slowly and come to a stop.

·Both doors squeak when opened and closed.

·Hard-top’s rear drivers side latch does not properly fit in the corresponding fitting hole. Therefore it bends the leather/plastic around the roll bar.

·Hard-top has multiple scratches around edges.

They started servicing the car yesterday. The Viper tech was only able to check on the first complaint (High Pitch Sound) when he determined I needed a NEW TRANSMISSION! When I was notified that I was "Getting a new transmission," I asked why? And the service associate said I would have to speak to the Viper Tech for the technical details because he had already left for the day. The Viper Tech is supposed to install the new transmission today. I asked if it was warranty work and she said yes. This is good because she said the transmission parts (no labor) are $6,600. THIS IS CRAZY! I understand its warranty work, but WHAT IS GOING ON?!? HELP! I didn’t spend this much money for a lemon.

WHAT DO I DO?!? HELP!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about your problems.
I have the same car delivered on Feb. 15th and so far (3300 miles)
no unusual problems. But being my first viper i may be missing something? I will be taking her in to the dealer in a few weeks for ebc pads and an optima battery when i do i will have her completely checked out for the engine noises and tranny noises just to be sure... but so far (knock on wood) no problems.
I wonder if the factory had 1 "bad" week to be hearing about all these 2001 problems?
best wishes
JIM

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YellowSnake:
..........She said they replaced the trans rather than pulling it apart and seeing where the noise was coming from because it was less labor.......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Truth is, Dodge refuses (since 1994) to allow dealers to service Viper trannys. The VENDOR (BW-TREMEC) probably has a financial responsibility tpo DC in the returned defective trannies. You were fortunate that your zone had one within a day!

The price rose by $1500 on July 1 !

P.S. PartsRack could offer you a waranteed used trans for $2795, or a NEW ONE for $4300.......$1000 higher since Jul 1

MrLucky1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can sympathize with you very well. I have a 2001 yellow RT/10 which was found to have a defective motor the day after I bought it. That problem was resolved in about 35 days. After having the car back for about two months, I also had similar transmission issues. The transmission was also replaced. I am now noticing catalytic converter odor which I have not had checked yet. But, piece by piece I am getting a replacement vehicle. Truth is, I still love the car, although I regret selling my pristine 99 RT that never had an issue.

ELW98

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DODGE...."Different" ????????????????

I guess that means you have to REBUILD your NEW car!! Insted of being built right from the begining??

I don't know, just my .02 cents

ELW

OP
OP
Y

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I just spoke to the service consultant. She said they fixed everything and the car is ready. The new trans. was installed today and it is fine. I pick up the car tonight and I will check it out then.

She said they replaced the trans rather than pulling it apart and seeing where the noise was coming from because it was less labor. Thats fine with me as long as it is fixed now. I will let you know where this stands after I check out the car tonight.

OP
OP
Y

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked it up last night. The new transmission is in and everything else is fixed. One problem, THE NOISE IS STILL THERE! I drove it home rather than turning around because my sales guy wont be back in the office until Friday. When he arrives, I will discuss this with him. (MrLucky1, why didn’t they give you a new car?)

Any suggestions for courses of action?

What are the laws/policies about getting a new car?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I think you hear is gear noise....

I took my 98 GTS to the dealer about 4 months ago because I heard noise or a "whine" just like you did. They replaced the transmission in a couple of days. I still hear the noise, just not as loud anymore.

Have you ever heard a tranny or set of rear gears installed that wasn't shimmed properly? Will make you deaf with the "whine".

My car will make that noise in the higher gears when there is less engine noise. But heck, I've got a 450+HP race car. I expect it to be honest. Just like lifter noise, if I wanted a quiet, mild car, i would've bought a vette.

Gerald

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you are hearing is rear end gear noise, not the transmition. Just about every viper on the road has the same noise, and there is almost nothing you can do about it. The reason is the type of rear end Dodge uses, it is not meant to be lexus like just made to be able to hand loads of torque. Mine makes this noise under part throtle in just about every gear, and it goes away as I give it a bit more gas. So the sollution is drive faster
smile.gif

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry that I'm so late checking in. I don't hang around as much has I'd like to. It seems very odd that a trans with only 400 miles on the clock has gone bad. Those trannies are tested post assembly. My tranny wine had been caused by NO FLUID. My (different) tech dismised the noise as the new shifter. That tranny made it 3300 miles on the BW,now Tremic, test and drain. It reads as if you are on the way to solving your issues. You can phone me if you need. You now have my numbers by PM and email. I still have friends in the tranny biz if need be.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 2001 RT/10 WITH 400 MILES: NEED NEW TRANSMISSION!!! Paging: RoyV101621

:confused: Am I correct, you are replying to this post 4 years later? Or are the dates wrong?
Nope, you're correct 4 years late. Hey, better late than never, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I haven't seen Yellow Snake post here for years so it is likely the car is long gone.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My bad, in the past year he has had 3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery