2003-2006 Mopar 3" muffler install complete

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ditched the old stock cat back exhaust system for the Mopar 3" mufflers with no cross over like the 2008+ models.

It is nice to ditch all that excess pipe under the car and the Mopar mufflers are a lot fun, HOWEVER there is drone at low RPM....

Great for a weekend driver, but not as a daily driver. The Drone is just to apparent. Im sure stock 08+ mufflers would be an easy fix, BUT the sound is pretty darn cool when at idle and high rpm. :)

Would deleting the cats help eliminate drone? ( i have considered the Mopar cat delete as there are no emmissions in my neck of the woods)

Would those of you with Corsa mufflers get the same sort of drone at low rpm?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deleting the cats would make the drone much worse. Corsa's typically don't drone, but I'm sure a header/cat/no cat combo exists that would make them drone...hopefully you don't stumble onto it :)

I gutted the secondary cats and have the old style 2.5" Corsa catback on my car. It doesn't drone at all and sounds quite nice out on the road

http://youtu.be/c43sgyRJHSw
http://youtu.be/Fw_IMReBho8

OP
OP
T

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thx for the info.

howd you gut the cats? any dash warning lights as result?

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am running the 2.5" magnaflow system with no cats and there is a horrible drone from 1100-1500RPM. I picked up the system used for a great deal so I can't really complain. Down the road I want to do a full bellanger system, but in the time being, I will just deal with the drone.

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am running the 2.5" magnaflow system with no cats and there is a horrible drone from 1100-1500RPM. I picked up the system used for a great deal so I can't really complain. Down the road I want to do a full bellanger system, but in the time being, I will just deal with the drone.
Bellangers also have drone, you should take a drive in a bellangers system first, corsa is the way to go.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There have been several past discussions on this subject. The lesson here is to expect the annoying drone with this system unless you pony up a few extra bucks for the Corsa system. I personally have the Corsa system installed and appreciate the fact that there is absolutely no drone.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Corsa Track has very little drone but can be a bit loud for some even with OE cats in place and they are 10 lbs heavier that the OE mufflers.

The OE mufflers with the Gen IV style tail pipes work pretty well. Not too loud, no drone, no crossovers - much cooler than with them, saves about 28 lbs and MUCH less expensive than the Corsa track exhaust.

Dan

OP
OP
T

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
all great feed back guys. thx!

my mopars were $500.00 shipped to the door so it was worth the price. Very cool idle and high rpm. For the price i can live with the drone.

Corsa or OE 08+ mufflers look to be the winning ticket to avoid drone.

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The OE mufflers with the Gen IV style tail pipes work pretty well. Not too loud, no drone, no crossovers - much cooler than with them, saves about 28 lbs and MUCH less expensive than the Corsa track exhaust.

Dan

Dan,
is this set up utilizing Gen 3 mufflers modded to use the Gen IV tail pipes?
or, is this just a Gen IV exhaust bolted up to a Gen 3 ?

Are you running this set up?

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan,
is this set up utilizing Gen 3 mufflers modded to use the Gen IV tail pipes?
or, is this just a Gen IV exhaust bolted up to a Gen 3 ?

Are you running this set up?

Yes, on my 2006 coupe, I've gone back to the OE headers, OE cats, OE muffler (which is the same muffler in the Gen IV) with the Gen IV tailpipe. The Gen IV tailpipe mounts right up to the Gen III muffler and fits perfectly in the side sill.

This is the most cost effective way to loose the crossovers, make the sound a bit more aggressive but without drone (you can still hear the radio!), pick up some hp and tq, cool the sills, pass smog testing here in CA and not be too loud. If you ask around, you may find a set of Gen IV tail pipes as "take offs" at some of the tuners or at Parts Rack, etc.

I currently have 3 Vipers, a 2004, 2006 coupe and a 2009 ACR. I've run most of the available headers and exhaust systems at one time or another.

Good luck,

Dan

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Appreciate the info Dan

My car is undergoing surgery.. Heads / Cam / Built Motor and full exhaust.
Headers / No Cats and Corsa

Not too sure how loud it will be and quite honestly , from other builds I have seen ,
it may be too much. However , the Gen IV with this setup produces drone.
So , I am looking at different options. May just have to wait and see how
it turns out first.

Yes, on my 2006 coupe, I've gone back to the OE headers, OE cats, OE muffler (which is the same muffler in the Gen IV) with the Gen IV tailpipe. The Gen IV tailpipe mounts right up to the Gen III muffler and fits perfectly in the side sill.

This is the most cost effective way to loose the crossovers, make the sound a bit more aggressive but without drone (you can still hear the radio!), pick up some hp and tq, cool the sills, pass smog testing here in CA and not be too loud. If you ask around, you may find a set of Gen IV tail pipes as "take offs" at some of the tuners or at Parts Rack, etc.

I currently have 3 Vipers, a 2004, 2006 coupe and a 2009 ACR. I've run most of the available headers and exhaust systems at one time or another.

Good luck,

Dan

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Appreciate the info Dan

My car is undergoing surgery.. Heads / Cam / Built Motor and full exhaust.
Headers / No Cats and Corsa

Not too sure how loud it will be and quite honestly , from other builds I have seen ,
it may be too much. However , the Gen IV with this setup produces drone.
So , I am looking at different options. May just have to wait and see how
it turns out first.

It will be ungodly loud and drone like crazy. Buy some ear plugs now. The Corsa is basically a straight through pipe. Not much "muffling" going on.

I ran my Gen IV ACR with headers, no cats and 3-inch Corsa Track mufflers. This car was primarily a track only car and was tolerable with a helment on over ear pieces (for the in car radio). The few times I took the car on the street, it would frighten grown men.

Good luck,

Dan

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Appreciate the info Dan

All of this will be taken into consideration before the car gets wrapped up and the
decision is made on the exhaust.

I Lol'd at "it would frighten grown men" haha

It will be ungodly loud and drone like crazy. Buy some ear plugs now. The Corsa is basically a straight through pipe. Not much "muffling" going on.

I ran my Gen IV ACR with headers, no cats and 3-inch Corsa Track mufflers. This car was primarily a track only car and was tolerable with a helment on over ear pieces (for the in car radio). The few times I took the car on the street, it would frighten grown men.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
T

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Good luck,

Dan

Great info!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery