2003 Competition Coupe at Mid-Ohio on 9-19 thru 9-22

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it's true the 2003 Viper Competition Coupe will be on diplay at the SCCA Run-Offs taking place at Mid-Ohio Raceway located near Mansfield Ohio. The car will be shown to the public starting tomorrow Weds. the 19th and they will have it there through Sat. the 22nd.

Come on out to see the new car and to also cheer on the Viper racers running in T-1 class and John Fernandez running his ACR Neon in SSC Class. Here is a schedule of events. For more info check out the SCCA web site at www.scca.org

Wednesday Qualifying SSC Class at 10:40 a.m./ T-1 Class 1:25 p.m.
Thursday Qualifying T-1 Class @ 8:15 a.m./ SSC Class @ 1:25 p.m.
Friday Champ Race T-1 Class 1:40 p.m./ SSC Class @ 3:20 p.m.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree - come on out!

As predicted, Bobby Archer is the man (and car) to beat as he has grabbed the provisional pole for Friday's T1 National Championship race at the Valvoline Run-Offs. Archer, driving the No. 32 SuperClubs/Bobby Archer Motorsports/ViperSpeed Viper GTS, ran a 1:37:566 in just three laps on a damp track to claim the provisional pole. Archer posted this time despite having to work through a large field of T1 and T2 cars and having to dodge (no pun intended) the Viper of Tom Lyons that hit the wall in Turn 11. The ever-optimistic Archer feels he can improve his time by another second on a dry track with no traffic. He just might get the opportunity to do that at the start of Friday’s race as the Z06’s of John Heinricy and Bob Schader are over a half second behind Archer and are unlikely to even get a shot at the pole with rain in the forecast for qualifying on Wednesday and Thursday.

For VCA members coming to the T1 race (scheduled for Friday, 9/21 at 1:40 pm), Bobby Archer and the ViperSpeed team invite you to stop by our trailer in the paddock area to visit with Bobby and Deborah Loth around 10am. The ViperSpeed/Bobby Archer Motorsports trailer is parked way back by the SCCA Tech Shed (near the Foodservice facility). If you come in the Main Entrance, follow the divided road down, take the first right, and follow that back until you see Archer’s black truck and trailer.

We are going to get a few pictures for Viper Magazine prior to the race, and will then go together over to see the new Viper Competition Coupe which will be on display at Mid-Ohio (thank you John Fernandez!).

Following the race, we will host a little happy hour / victory celebration (is this cocky or what?) at our trailer, and then decide where to go for the serious celebrating…

See you then!

OP
OP
V

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone who frequents the board going this week. I would really like for someone to take some pics of the Comp Coupe for me.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich:

Ben and I got you covered for pictures. There are other VCA guys coming that I'm sure will also being taking pics too

FYI- Bobby drove it yesterday... but just around the paddock.

Rich

OP
OP
V

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bobby got to drive it? I knew I should have taken a few days off from work. Rich post the results from tomorrows races. Do you know where John F is starting from on the grid in SSC? I read from your earlier post that Bobby had the pole in T-1. Did Tom Lyons get his car put back together after the crash? I hope you can write a story with pics for the Illinois newsletter?

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich and Steve:

We'll have a full report on the Run-Offs later today, but you can imagine we were pretty disppointed...

Re the Comp. Coupe - WOW!! Bobby, Deborah, and Ben all got to drive the car around the paddock. Poor me, all I got to do was sit in it and start it up... (thanks Tom O'Dell!).

Even though it's really just a prototype, it was incredible! All the right goodies, if you know what I mean. Perhaps more incredible was hearing Tom and Eric talk about how serious PVO is about supporting racing (Viper Days, Speedvision WC, etc.)

I have more to post later on this too. Don't worry Rich - I've got a whole roll of film to send you of the CC!!

Rich