2005 Viper New Owner Questions

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,

I have another thread here regarding exhaust but here are some more questions.

I just bought a 2005 with 7800 miles on it. I had to get the blower motor replaced under warranty. Is this a common failure?

Second, is the convertible top tonneau cover supposed to come with the car, or is it an option?

Third, I have what looks to be a semi cup holder in my console. I think there is supposed to be some cover here. I found some on ebay called the ash tray but is there another source to get these OEM parts from other than the dealer?

Fourth - I did my own oil change about a week ago. I wrench on my own cars so this isn't a big deal. I used Mobil 1 0W-40 and put in 10.5 quarts I use Mobil 1 synthetic in my other cars so this is nothing new.

I did use a Purolator Pureone oil filter. I use this filter on my 2004 Supercharged Mustang Cobra, and that being a DOHC, 32 valve engine has even tighter tolerances than this big V10, I haven't even seen a problem.

Other than that, I am loving this car and its a dream come true.

Would love to find more technical info related to brakes (what kind of Brembo calipers are these? Are the F & R brakes identical??) Love the extra parking brake caliper, that screams exotic!

Thanks in advance

Tim

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1. Do not have any knowledge about the Blower Motor failure.

2. The Tonneau Cover came standard with the car.

3. There was no lid on the cup holder.

4. Mobil 1 is fine. You will get lots of opinions as to weights, but use what works for you.

5. Don't know about your oil filter. Chrysler dealers have in the last year started selling a new Viper filter p/n 05037836AA. This unit is by all accounts, the BEST filter available for all Vipers. I would start using it.

6. Brake pads are identical front and rear. You will also get lots of opinions as to the best pad. I use Hawk HPS in all my Vipers and other cars for great use on the street and very little dusting.

7. Have fun with your new ride. Vipers are the best bang for the buck out there.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Once upon a time, your "cup holder" was an "ash tray". Most folks remove the plastic "ash tray" portion for good and the hole that remains resembles a small "cup holder".

When in place, the "ash tray" does have some type of cover but I've had mine out for so long, I can't even remember what it looks like.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

So I can surmise that:

Blower motor failure is rare (searched and didn't find anything prior to posting)

I have to buy another tonneau cover

The lids I see on the cup holders on cars for sale is some sort of "smoker's package" I don't smoke, but absolutely HATE visible cupholders in any car. I mean seriously, when I go out to eat the restaurant tables don't have steering wheels! :lmao:

Since car is still under warranty I am going to stick to Mobil1 0W-40 for the time being. The Mustang Cobra I have stipulates 5w20 on the oil fill cap but you better believe I do not use that (the 4.6 DOHC was designed with 10w/30) and the heads on that car haven't changed that much over the years. 5w/20 was jut for gas mileage. I do know that Mobil's 5W/30 is fantastic, but I digress.

I'll check out that Oil filter. Does anyone know the OEM? For example Ford's motorcraft filters were made by Champion labs, who makes the Mopar ones? Just curious.

My experiences with brakes have been to use Akebono ceramics on anything that has wheels in my "fleet" along with Brembo blanks, or most recently on my Volvo C70 EBC dimpled and slotted rotors, which have been FANTASTIC.

I see the Akebono pads are not available for our cars, but EBC does make a one piece rotor that is slotted and dimpled (not x-drilled which I REFUSE to use)

I don't agree with #7, I would have to give the nod to my 2004 Cobra. A cheap pulley swap, exhaust, air intake and a tune and it's over 500 rwhp on that car for under $1500. That's a 100HP gain. The price of entry for the car is a lot less too. Being that I own both, it's just my opinion but the Viper is quite a different car than the Mustang Cobra.

Any other input is welcomed!

Thanks again!

Tim

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I am talking about.

If I had one complaint about the car it is that stupid round hole in the console.

It's the one piece of the car that really doesn't serve any purpose.

Does anyone here have a BMW X3 SUV? The damn cup holders come out of the dashboard almost out of the HVAC vents.

YUCK!

Anybody know where I can buy that "lid" 29Outlaw so kindly posted, other than the dealer?

Thanks again!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "ashtray" is great for keeping change!

Check out MGW products for an alternative to the ashtray if interested.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Those pictures are fantastic.

I've actually got an MGW shifter (the entire turret, etc) on my 2004 Mustang Cobra. It's quality thru and thru.

Those Viper shifters look real nice.

I am located in Los Angeles.

Believe it or not I've put 600 miles on my car in two weeks.

Haven't seen ONE VIPER on the road in this time other than mine.

Hilarious.

V

Venomiss

This site may interest you if you haven't seen it already.
Might tell you where all the Vipers in your area are hiding......;) Go find them!

. : : SoCal Viper : : .
Good to see you are driving your Viper. :drive:Just waiting for Spring here.

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also have a 2003 Mustang Cobra, and agree that it is a great car, especially for the purchase price. I guess I just do not put it in the same group of cars as the Viper, so I did not consider it when I stated that the Viper has a lot of bang for the buck. I view the Mustang as a amazing car that can be used everyday if you choose. It does everything well, and is a great highway car, but it is still a Mustang. The Viper puts you into an entirely different class of car, one whose reason for being is purely pleasure and performance, with a number of compromises in other areas. In any case, enjoy the new Viper. By the way, as to the Oil Filter, I have not been able to locate an exact match among the aftermarket suppliers as of yet. Wix and Carquest say they will eventually make a unit like the new Chrysler filter, but have not released it yet.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tim, congratulations on your '05!!! Pics??!!! Yes, that 'hole' in the middle of the console IS a bit aggravating, it serves NO purpose...even change in it will fly out!! We have the '05 black SRT vert...love it...with the Corsa exhaust. Yep, recommended is synthetic Mobil 1 0-40. Yes, this car IS a dream come true...we waited a LONG time to obtain ours also. Mike used to have a Mustang Cobra years ago, not supercharged though. ENJOY the car...and please post pics when you can! ~juli

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got an ashtray and a tonneau I'll sell. PM me.

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.Warrarty blower moter is good. Have not seen theis as a common failure amid this board.

2. The convertible top tonneau cover does come standard with the car, it was an option on the '03. (told my dealer to take $500 off the price if he couldn't locate, since aftermarket covers - not the same - are over $350)

3. Cup holder hole is for the ashtray which is a most likely a commonly stolen piece - nice souvenier from a vert for a jealous admirer.

4. 0/40 is standard weight oil for your car.

5. #5037836AA is the Dodge part # for the correct filter. See http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/610238-gen-3-oil-change-tips.html for more info on filters.

6. Dreams do come tue - if you make them happen.

7. There are many differing opinions on brakes and just as many uses. See the Tire/Brake/Suspension section to narrow down your choices for your intended use(s).

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2. The convertible top tonneau cover does come standard with the car, it was an option on the '03. (told my dealer to take $500 off the price if he couldn't locate, since aftermarket covers - not the same - are over $350)

Nope, it was standard on the 05, I have one.

You mean "Yes, it was standard on the 05..." and every year Gen 3 except the '03.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you all.

I have a line on a Tonneau Cover, "ash tray" and RB1 NAV from a fellow VCA member.

Heading out to Palm Springs for our first "semi long" road trip in the Viper to watch the Pacific Life Open Tennis Finals.

If anyone is out there and wants to grab a beer, PM me.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"I don't agree with #7, I would have to give the nod to my 2004 Cobra. A cheap pulley swap, exhaust, air intake and a tune and it's over 500 rwhp on that car for under $1500. That's a 100HP gain. The price of entry for the car is a lot less too. Being that I own both, it's just my opinion but the Viper is quite a different car than the Mustang Cobra."

OK, then my 700hp resto mod Duster is a wayyyyy better than the Mustang at only $23,000!!! And it also APPRECIATES each year in value instead of depreciates, lol.

But the Viper excels at everything except luxuries and winter driving.

I get a lot of attention with my Duster, and even a trophy now and then, but when I take the Viper I plan to win every race and expect to get a trophy every show.

Brake pads - since the rear brakes only do about 20% of your braking, I'd recommend using different pads on the rear. Use a pad that heats up faster so you actually get some braking from the rear brakes instead of just starting to warm them up and not getting stopping power.

Rotors - lots of good lighweight/2 piece slotted rotors on the market. I just installed a 14" lighweight brake kit on my 01 from Roe Racing.

Enjoy your new ride.

Ted

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

To be honest, the Viper doesn't really blow me away compared to the 04 Cobra.

Your Duster sounds awesome, but seriously how old is that car? In twenty years I'm sure the 03/04 "Terminator" Cobras will be worth some serious bucks too. I bought my 04 with 8900 miles on it back in 2006 for $26,000. Dealer wanted $32,900 and I offered them 26 and they called me the next day. These cars are still selling for what I paid and above, especially in unmodified guise more than 2 years later. I think that's a pretty good investment to buy a car, drive it for two years (not stored in some garage waiting for the next owner to enjoy it LOL) put 15,000 miles on it and have it worth MORE than what I paid.

I haven't lost a dollar on the Cobra since I bought it. I could sell the car tomorrow for the same price I bought it for 2 years ago, and with 15,000 more miles. The car is in that great shape (my cars are like my children) and I REALLY did get a great price on it. The Viper I got a steal on too.

There is no denying that the factory supercharged Mustang is the deal of the century when it comes to modifications. Anybody that doesn't agree with this probably wouldn't agree about the Toyota Supra Turbo being the king of mods in the 90's or the 5.0 Mustang of the 80's. Some people have tunnel vision about cars just because they own one marque, or are plain ignorant. Most Ferrari guys are like that, and that's why I don't own one of those. I used to hang with some of the SoCal Ferrari guys and some of the ego's and attitudes were a major turn off. Would hate to be lumped into a crowd of folks like that. FYI, I was looking at Testarossa's and 355's prior to finding my Viper, but I love domestic muscle and the Viper has been on my very short list of cars to own since 1993.

The design of the DOHC 32 valve motor in the Cobra makes the V10 in the Viper look stone age in comparison. It's like comparing a Ninja to a linebacker. Both kick ass but in different ways.

Now I know some people on here are elitist and will completely dismiss anything Mustang or anything GM, but the Ferrari and Lambo guys do the same thing to the Viper.

I love my 05 SRT-10 but I am not naive to think that it completely blows away the Mustang also sitting in my garage. We are not talking about a 300 horse Mustang GT here.

Both cars have pluses and minuses

Cobra has an exotic 32 valve engine with factory forced induction, hand made by two engineers on a special "niche" line at the Romeo Ford plant. A stamp is on the engine with the signatures of both individuals. Coil on plug ignition, no spark plug wires.

Forged pistons, forged Manley H-beam rods, separate intercooler circuit, similar Tremec T-56 as the Viper, a bottom end that can handle 750+ HP, STOCK and not grenade or have issues like some other engines I have been reading about. 6 bolt mains I believe too. It also has a real IRS in the back, however the diff cover is a weak spot for this car along with the halfshafts when the car is modded.

Slightly modded this car will give an SRT-10 a run for it's money. I also don't see these running around SoCal like the Vettes, so semi rare too. It's not a PIG weightwise like the new GT500.

I'm a car lover, so to put down another ride "just because" it's this or that (well, except for BMW, I can't STAND them LOL). I also did not sell or trade my Cobra for the Viper, as I LOVE it. I'm selling a 2004 Volvo C70 HPT if anyone is interested, LOL!

The Viper is a semi exotic domestic made vehicle with a honking V-10, huge Brembo brakes, gorgeous body (although a lot of people here HATED it when announced as I have found by using the search) and low production numbers not to mention a VERY stout chassis. (I jacked the front driver's side of this car up recently to do an oil change, and to my surprise, the PASSENGER SIDE also came off the ground!!! I was astonished at this!!

It also takes a lot more money to modify, vs. the 4.6 blown Cobra.

As a new owner I see a lot of serious smack talk going back and forth about the C6 Z06 and the Viper. For me, I think we should be PROUD of GM, Ford and Dodge for producing these cars, as AMERICAN auto makers. :usa:

P.S. I am not bashing the Viper AT ALL.

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's always a great thing when someone is happy without perscription drugs!

No putting down new Mustangs, but they are Retro, like the Viper is. Like the Vipers they depreciate and lose value for many years before they'll start to gain value. Pre-smogers gain value each year and resto mods are as good as they were built to be.

Problem with new Mustangs (as compared to Porsche, Ferrari and Vipers) is that they have tiny tires so they don't compare well. A Ford GT is comparable to a Viper and in the same class. We're all proud of Ford for what they did (keeping up to the Viper). Too bad they're discontinued.

Supras? You buy them for 50% import tax and 50% actual cost. I bought a half price (no import tax) Dodge Stealth R/T TT. Mine's modified and I wouldn't ever own a Supra. My Stealth is AWD and that allows me to drive my 30mpg/500hp Supercar throughout the winter. "Electronic Controlled Suspension" was invented on the Stealth for 92 and a simplified version of that is what comes in SUVs and pickups now. Digital Climate Control was developed for the Stealth. That's high tech. Supra? I don't think so.

Modify a Mustang cheaper? Maybe, depending on what you want. But, my 98 GTS made 598rwhp/644rwtq after spending $10,000 on a sc exhaust and tuning. After that, it gets expensive.

Although I have Forged wheels on my Viper, my daughter spent more money on skinny Foose wheels and tires for her Mustang GT.

You can modify to your hearts content and the Mustang isn't likely to see the high side of 200mph. Most Vipers get past 200 by changing out the exhaust. '08s do it stock.

I have more than 20 cars. My 440 Duster compares, slightly, to the Viper for acceleration and attention. It does sound a lot better though. My Stealth compares for driving excellence, braking and handling - again, only slightly, except for winter driving where the Stealth is the best I've ever seen. My Daytona IROC R/T (only 432 built) compares for collectablility, slightly, although it does get 36mpg.

As you say, cars have their different good points, but the Viper is the KING of FAST! My Viper having gone 10.5 quarter mile time on stock tires means that I never expect to lose a street race (I can also turn on the Nitrous if it's a mile race) and if I lose a road race it would be the driver's fault because the car is exceptional. With the big brake kit I just installed I expect that my car is one of the shortest stopping cars in the world.

That said, the Viper is the worst car I've ever driven in the snow and ice - a total danger. They don't make ice/snow tires for it either. That's why you'll notice most owners here on the forums whine all winter (like me), lol.

It's the performance speed, acceleration, braking and handling that I love and the Viper does it best. For me at least.

FYI, my wife figures that her Ford Escape is the BEST. I even wrote a feature article in Domestic Driver - A bi-monthly online magazine featuring Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, and GM Cars from 1980+ magazine stating that the "Ultimate Musclecar" is different for each person. Jul/Aug '07 if you want to check it out. Free subscription.

Ted

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the last VOI, we got red crystal Viper paperweights. Remember those?
Well, if you take the ashtray out, the paperweight fits in the hole perfectly.
It loks like some custom accessory. It won't fit with the MGW trim ring, but perhaps George (at MGW) can make something like it to fill in the hole.
Also, there is a roll bar manufacturer locally (Seattle) that makes a bar with a removeable forward strut, that goes into the "ash tray" hole. Contact Cam at Maltby Motorsports.

Just some ideas-

PBR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21