2006 SRT Coupe - First Ride Today

Scorch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today was my lucky day. Got a ride in a 2006 Coupe. It was a DCX development car (mule). Blue with white strips, black interior. What a blast. This car is FAST!!! Makes my GEN 1 feel like a C4 Corvette. The gentleman who took me out was cautious about giving too much information but this what I did get from him. Carryover power train from the convertible. Look for more horsepower in '07 but no clue how much. He was very explicit that the transmission and differential in the current car are at their performance limits. Any additional horsepower over today's car will require upgrades.

New wheels coming as well. I believe he also said that Michelin will have a new tire for the car.

I'll try to answer other questions if you have any.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scorch,

Good info please keep the "Information and Intel" flowing

:2tu:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if they will up the power on the convertables...I hope not I don't want to own a weak viper (if there is such a thing lol)

ViperLB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Devildog. No need to buy a 2006 when the 2007 is going to have all those upgrades plus more power. My plan is to buy the Z06 this fall, have fun with it for a year or two, then come back to see what the Viper has in 2007.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DEVILDOG and ViperLB: my understanding is that the upgrades will probably be in calendar year '07, not model year '07, meaning that the Viper will be at its current power levels for another 2 model years (bummer). Not that this makes the current models an easier sell to those in the know, but it may allow them to move the '05s and '06s more quickly to the general public.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was very explicit that the transmission and differential in the current car are at their performance limits. Any additional horsepower over today's car will require upgrades.

What a line of BS! There are MANY of these cars running around with 700 plus at the WHEELS with no tranny problems! I don't think putting an extra 50 crank hp would be a problem at all!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think the rear end is the limiting factor, not the tranny. There is plenty of SRT-10 owners who have had rear end problems that are stock.