2008 Long tube headers need tuned ??

2snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put on long tube headers on a 2008 viper does it need to be tuned ??? Will it void your warranty ?? Thanks for the replies.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You warranty can only be legally voided if the aftermarket part in question was a direct cause or a contributing factor toward a given mechanical failure.

I don't know the answer to the tuning question but I plan on installing some Belanger/Mopar headers on my 08 and my Viper Tech and Belanger stated that a tune is not required.

/Rich

Reaction score
As far as I know the computer will compensate for the headers. This was the case with Herb Helbigs car but we have not yet confirmed the production PCM will do the same. We will have a set on a 08' after a baseline dyno on Wed. if all goes well and will let you all know the results of our findings.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it was gonna take a while before people (tuners) could figure out the ecu?

OP
OP

2snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woodhouse is on top of there game. Thanks for the replie.:2tu:

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put on long tube headers on a 2008 viper does it need to be tuned ??? Will it void your warranty ?? Thanks for the replies.

After working on these engines for the last couple of years I would venture to say that you should be able to pull some fuel out, maybe quite a bit, at top end with headers. I never got the chance to run any headers but I would expect them to want the exhaust cam timing to have an earlier closing event also.

During development I noticed that any increase in exhaust back pressure liked a later exhaust closing. The blowdown portion of the cycle probably needed more time to accomplish at higher back pressure numbers. The reverse would be true at lower back pressures.

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One tuner has made it clear that the exhaust ports on the Gen IV are much larger than the Gen III; and thus requiring a minimal 1 7/8 diameter header tube. Not that the Gen III won't fit; just that it will be bottle-necked by the previously available headers. I have not verified this myself; as my '08 has not arrived yet. It's just something to consider when selecting YOUR headers for the Gen IV...

Last edited:
Reaction score
We did the baseline today on our standard Mustang dyno so the numbers are not as "impressive" :rolleyes: as some but are accurate at 602 crank hp (481 whp);) . We did 4 runs back to back with the car warm and the numbers were all very close to the same, which is good. We will have the headers/exhaust on and to the dyno tomorrow. We will not be putting on the miles needed to get the most hp out of the headers as they will gain down the road but we should get a good picture of their potential and change to A/F.

The 08' ran VERY rich above 4700 rpm so the gains up top will be significant I'm sure. We will post more very soon! :headbang:

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is still good for a mustang dyno. My 997 turbo with an EVT700 on a mustang awd dyno made 620 awhp on pump mode. For whatever reason mustang dynos read lower.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery