2008 Viper road test finally announced

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You'll see magazine tests before this comes out. Keep in mind Motorweek seems to always be a bit on the week side for times, regardless of make, and the times your are referencing were done by Justin Bell. We seem to seldom get top flight drivers like him to test the Viper, so let's hope we have a Pro Driver or two in the seat for some of the tests?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Adding to what Bill said...remember the Road & Track (if I remember correctly) test...in which the driver ADMITTED that he was afraid of the Viper, which led one to conclude that the car's performance was indeed under-reported. Have to give the guy credit for the frank admission, however.

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when magazines are invited to test a new vehicle; there is usually a date that they all agree to not publish prior to. for example, auto week would get the info out first if not for this arrangement. I have no idea what the date is but ALL the mags will come out with the data more than likely within a few days of one another. I presume the tests have already taken place and they will just sit on iy until sept.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the 2003 Viper came out, figures of sub 12 sec 1/4 mile times and sub 4 sec 0-60 times were UNHEARD OF for any car under $225,000. The 2003 was a break-thru in performance. I think the 08 will be another break thru in performance, slamming everything out there and definitely raising the bar.

And, when and if Chevy tries to one-up us w/ this so-called Corvette SS w/ 650 hp and super light weight... the SRT guys say they are ready for that too.

I do think both Dodge and Chevy want the test data delayed, b/c Dodge needs to move out the remaining 06's and demand for the Z06 will drop off sharply once the 08 snake bites it in the you know where!

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
motortrend and motorweek have always given the vipers terrible reviews. im not particularly looking forward to the reviews of the 2008, i really hope they dont disapoint me and trash it, and conclude that the econimcal Z06 is better...:crazy2:

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
motortrend and motorweek have always given the vipers terrible reviews. im not particularly looking forward to the reviews of the 2008, i really hope they dont disapoint me and trash it, and conclude that the econimcal Z06 is better...:crazy2:
It seems most reviews of the 03 Viper were pretty good on the performance side. I think the rags would lose major credibility if they shot down the 08 Viper. I also think one reason they are delaying the results is b/c the 08 Viper stomps the snot out of every sports car south of $450,000! If you notice, every mag says "the 08 Viper should rule until the Corvette SS comes out" or something of the sort. That to me tells me that the current z06 will not hold a candle to the 08 Viper, nor will practically anything else.