2010 ACR vs GEN V car

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Graphs aside, multiple ACR owners have documented substantial MPH gain at the drag strip after removing the wing... there is most definitely an impact at speeds below 150mph.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who takes an ACR to the drag strip & doesn't pull the wing? If you're there, where it doesn't belong in the 1st place, then surely you're trying to score a nice ET so you'd pull the wing, oherwise, why bother, you know it's slowing it down at the strip.

As for the OP, based on perf #s I've seen, it's a drivers race with the wing pulled, with the Gen5 having a tad of an advantage. Frankly, a better stock to stock, don't touch the cars race would be just a Gen4 coupe vs a Gen5, which I'd say the same about, slight edge to Gen5 by a tenthor two. The Gen5 has the advantage of some better gearing from 2nd up, but the TA did 11.3 for MT mag, so it should eek out the win from most Gen4s by a tenth or two, given the same driver.

Since you said noobs driving, then that would have to be Gen5. In over 20 yrs at the drag strip I find vipers easy to drag race due to the lazy gearing & wide tires, but most people have near death experiences in these cars at the strip. The Gen5 is a no-brain-required car for this duty, use LC, use stability and you should go straight, which is enough to beat a noob in a Gen4. But assume you mean cars rather than drivers versus each other - "Gen5 by a nose".

Now, throw headers, catback & PCM on the gen4, which you can't do to a Gen5 (yet, ever?) and fawgetaboutit, but then a TT Gen3 or Gen2 ... well, nevermind.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have a stock Gen 4 in Houston? I have a stock Gen 5 and am willing to participate.

You know mine is stock Tony (other than your wheels, but I can put the stocks back on with stock rubber). Heck, you can even drive it so it will be equal drivers. You and I both know what the outcome will be. It will be a waste of time, money, and rubber.... :)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric, Andy (FLATOUT) texted me, he is a willing candidate too. How about the 3 of us go out for a little Viper cruise this weekend? The Gen 5 *should* edge the ACR's out, but there is no guarantee, and the question is how much - if so?

Tony

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gray's Z06 is pretty fast. If anything, he was more surprised that the stock Viper was able to stay that close. His car should trap mid-130s as it sits.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comparison to what? Both graphs were used in this thread to serve the purpose of showing the downforce of the ACR in relation to speed. Ignore the bottom yellow line if it bothers you so much.

The yellow line might be a specific car...I'm guessing Porsche 996, without any active aero, which would be a bit of a cheat.

Some old (ancient) lift numbers here:
The TT has 148 pounds of lift at the rear axle at 125 mph without the spoiler, but only a 53-pound lift when the spoiler is fitted. By comparison, the BMW Z3 coupe generates 64 pounds of lift at 125 mph; the Mercedes-Benz SLK, 104 pounds of lift; and the Porsche Boxster, 68 pounds of lift.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/we-take-audis-tamed-tt-for-a-spin-first-drive-review

Modern sports cars are likely a lot better now, with very little lift at 125mph.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric, Andy (FLATOUT) texted me, he is a willing candidate too. How about the 3 of us go out for a little Viper cruise this weekend? The Gen 5 *should* edge the ACR's out, but there is no guarantee, and the question is how much - if so?

Tony

I'm always up for a drive at the crack of dawn before the roads get busy, plus I'd like to see your car in person (and you of course!). :)

We can try to prove the theory ourselves, but I think the masses would prefer a more scientific approach to draw an accurate conclusion. We'll be back into "is the Gen V faster on a road course compared to a Gen IV ACR". I still think the only way to prove that theory is to have the same person drive each car back to back and compare lap times, not multiple years apart with different conditions, etc.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only imagine the ACR still wins on the track, with the aero and MPSC tires. Power is about the same, and the 1/4-mile gearing of the Gen 5 won't really matter on a roadcourse. The cars really do drive the same.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just shoot some video and have some fun :) I would think the Gen V would be a IV in a rolling straight line, but I think in the 1/4 its a drivers race. :)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My money's on whoever has the most experience at the drag strip, regardless of car.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN V should win, what I would like to see is a GEN V vs an ACR at the track with the GEN V on sport cups and the Mopar Aero package.

Bruce

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In for some results.

Any noobs behind the wheel would be pointless IMHO. I am a total newbie to the Viper and I'd be terrible at getting off the lines without launch control (Which I haven't even used yet)

Last edited:

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To much talk/graphs/down force/my car is better&faster than your car-,JUST RACE THE CARS and see what happens,better yet do 1 drag race and 1 road race

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries about noobs. Andy and I first raced against each other in 1998, when we both had some of the first LS1 Camaros. Both of us have owned a couple Vipers now. I've even been over 200 mph a few times in my other car.... in less than 1 mile :)

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's a drivers race foresure.

Now what I want to see more is Gen V vs ZR1. I still feel that the ZR1 is a faster car by a good margin..

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posted by FlatOut on VA:
Ran my neighbors 2013 GTS today on the way home from cars and coffee. Both cars are stock.

Details: 2008 ACR with 5000 miles on it, 1/4 tank of fuel. 2013 Stryker Red GTS with 500 miles on it and 3/4 tank of fuel.

Both cars starting in 2nd gear at 60, Gen 4 threw the honks and the Gen 5 got a split second jump but was already pacing about a 1/4 car ahead.

ACR started pulling, came around, and put a car and a half on the 2013 up to 155-160 ish. No one hit the rev limiter and we talked about the run afterwards. He said his shift points were 100-200 rpm below or at redline each time and he didn't hit the limiter.

I shifted at the same points in the Gen 4.

Gen 5 guy is a neighbor and a good friend so no video,we were just out having fun and had the opportunity to line them up.

We'll run them again when he gets a few more miles on it and see if anything changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery