2012 SRT Viper Cup Round Three (3/4 of Lap One)

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've taken a small amount of flack for this incident (1% of those paying attention to this, no more. And a 1% I don't want to be a part of!). I

almost always post my videos, and by doing so open myself up for Internet criticism. Then I add an interview in which I openly admit "I screwed up."

The truth of the matter we all do. Even the very best of the best screw up. The sooner we admit that, the sooner we get to the job of improving ourselves. And the "1%" who like to create Internet chatter will never figure that out.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the internet chatter are folks that have no clue,or have never competed in a sport, things happen in sports, the boohooz will allways be on this earth. glad your ok...

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, As I exited the carousel during Saturday's race I am fairly confident that myself and all others collectively started to pray for your safety. When I got the word over my radio you were OK, it's a day I'll never forget, for your safety was everyone's only concern. I believe it was the Sunday morning first session when you stood in the hot pits giving thumbs up to your competitors as we entered the track for practice. I was touched and am blessed to have the opportunity to get to know you. I look forward to shaking your hand when we meet up again.

- David Mazyck
ACRX Car #3

Tomball Dodge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, You have said to me in recent conversations that life plays its rolls in many different fashions, we were breathless and our hearts sunken when over the radios we heard get a ambulance NOW David couldn’t have survived that crash. I saw the incident as a fellow driver and friend involved in such a horrific incident we are encouraged with your faith and elated you are OK. Kudos to SRT for building an incredible machine, your saftey equipment worked flawlessly and the insode of your car was basicly in tact unreal!

You were pedaling the car well and all of us at NARRA and around the racing community hope you recover quickly and we are extremely proud and happy to associate our Viper family with you and our family of racers, Viper enthusiasts.
Looking forward to seeing you at VIR, let us know if you need anything.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, I am so glad you are ok!

We all hope to see you back on the track soon!

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear David,

I'm so glad to hear you're okay, I love that you've been so upfront and honest....integrity is a GREAT quality!

If you didn't keep your right foot on the gas pushing your comfort level you shouldn't be racing....You ARE a racer, because you said you pushed your comfort limits. I love my Viper, but I just can't take the risks, I admire that you can. I hope your Viper is repaired quickly and you're back for the next race!!

Kuddos!!

Regards,
Aaron

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing how well the interior did, did you change the shifter handle or did the transmission move that far up?

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you left that wreck in one piece. We all make mistakes. Hope it doesn't haunt you too much and you're able to get back in the saddle.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is evident that these are safe cars. David, glad to see you are ok and can tell the VCA your horrific ordeal.

Thanks for sharing

Bruce

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David,

Glad to hear you are OK. That would have been one horrific ride.

Thanks for being so open on this. As a future Viper racer, what you have mentioned is helpful in knowing both the risks as well as the safety. One of my bigger concerns with getting into racing has always been the "what if you wreck a car" side of it. You hit the nail on the head, and although I could see it in the pictures, it was hearing you say it. These cars really have had some great engineering by SRT. And we are also all human. Human error is part of the challenge.

Thank you for being so open so others could learn from a side we all hope we never have to experience.

Again, glad you are OK.

Robert

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, hadn't been on the boards lately, one of the SoCal track guys sent me your interview video, wow!
Glad to read and see that you're OK. Your viper really stood up strong! I can only imagine what the in-car video looks like. Good to see from Jeff's video how well you qualified.
Best wishes for the balance of the season, hope you get another X soon. Mike

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
David--
I've enjoyed your past videos many times to the point where I feel I know you--so very happy that you are OK--Dave

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David....Glad our OK. I can only imagine what was going thru your mind when this was happening. Is it as they say
" It happens in slow motion"

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All,

I want to thank everyone again for your concern. I am truly touched.

As I reflect on this incident, I can honestly say I have gained something from it. What that is, I can not say at this time; I just can't put it into words. But it is something...

One thing I did need a greater appreication of is life itself. For anyone who knows me even only a bit, I am a very "affectionate" person. I love the people in my life, and not only my family. I live by the mantra, "Choose the life you want, and live the life you choose." So people are in my life because I want them to be. If not, I distance myself from them.

An example of my ways is what happened after the Round Two podium ceremonies at Road Atlanta: After getting my head handed to me by Mr. Keating, and pulled him aside and hugged him and kissed him on the cheek. Now I don't have a homosexual bone in my body, so Ben, don't start worrying. But he needed to know how I viewed him: as a really, really good driver who outclassed me that weekend. That was my way of relaying that message. But dammit, I wanted to reverse the outcome at Road America! :)

I am fortunate enough to work with my 84-year old father. Mom and he started the firm in 1976 my brother and I run today. Almost every Friday we go to lunch together jsut to "talk." And at the end of virtually every day, we look each other in the eye, say "I love you," and repeat this statement: "It's a good life."

It is indeed.

I'll be back in SRT Viper Cup, I am almost 100% certain...thanks again for everyone's concern.

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update:

I just returned from a visit to the family physician. I thought that because so many people in and out of NARRA/SRT Viper Cup are aware of this incident, that I might get questioned regarding my health and my abilities to drive a race car (no, not THOSE abilities...health caused!). So I took the initiative and re-took my SCCA/NASA/NARRA physical.

I passed with flying colors.

One more step closer...

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update:

I just returned from a visit to the family physician. I thought that because so many people in and out of NARRA/SRT Viper Cup are aware of this incident, that I might get questioned regarding my health and my abilities to drive a race car (no, not THOSE abilities...health caused!). So I took the initiative and re-took my SCCA/NASA/NARRA physical.

I passed with flying colors.

One more step closer...

Very wise of you. Glad to hear it.

Paul Scharf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Everyone here at Don Scharf Automotive is incredibly thrilled and thankful that David was able to walk away from this accident. It is truly amazing how the cage of the car remained intact and delivered him from this accident. Just another testament as to the quality of how these cars are built.

Just a quick update: In case anyone was wondering where the car went, I was personally at Road America this year, and talked to David after the accident. During the weekend we kept in contact, and before the weekend was out, we made arrangements for the purchase of the wrecked car.

Here are some pictures of the vehicle that we took. Again, it is truly amazing to look at the minimal damages to the cage, compared to the front and rear. We are honored to have been able to buy this car from David, and wish him the best of luck in the continuation of his racing career.

As far as future plans for the car, we are unsure what we are going to do with it. We may offer the car as a complete package to someone, or we may just part out the car by selling the ACR-X engine and transmission as a package to someone who wants an awesome 640 horse powerhouse for a track car or a monster pick-out for a project car! It is a truly unique car to add to our ever-growing collection of Viper parts cars that numbers well over 200 at this point. Please watch our face book and ebay store for any of the ACR-X race components as they become available. Including brakes, fuel cell, differential cooler, fire system and other trinkets. Also feel free to email me.

Again, here’s to seeing David at the June sprints at Road America! I look forward to seeing you again and hanging out, you are a first class guy!

You must be registered for see images attach

(click the image to see a larger picture)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update: As I posted yesterday, I returned to Road America for the 57th Chicago Region SCCA WeatherTech June Sprints and got the win (hooray!). But I want to discuss my off-the-track experiences on my return to Elkhart Lake this weekend.

Saturday morning, just before the cars went on-track, I approached the chief of safety at RA. I introduced myself and explained what happened last month; while he wasn't at the track that day, he certainly knew of the incident. I asked if it was possible to meet the safety crew that responded to my wreck. He said he'd have them visit my paddock at the lunch break. He did thank me for approaching him and asking to thank his crew. He said this happens very rarely...surprising to me as where I race in NE Ohio, racers, corner workers and safety crew are all part of a big tight-knit family.

At lunch three people drove up to my rig; two guys and a woman. The lady come up to me and gave me a big hug. I returned it and said, "This is not only from me, but my entire family."

I asked who was the first to my car, and one of the two guys admitted he was. He said that when they got the call to "scramble," the head of safety led them to expect the worse. He said they were told is was a really bad wreck. So when they were driving up to my car, they all could see I was moving inside the car, a good sign. When they got to me, he asked my three questions: my name, what I did for a living, and what happened. He said I was "spot on" in my responses. So he asked if I could get out of the car; I said yes (this is the only part I remember) and climbed out of the car.

He then radioed back to his chief and gave him the code that represented the lowest level of injury to the driver. The responce from the "other side" was of disbelief. They all fully expected the worst.

These three were all thankful that I took the time and effort to look them up and thank them. This still amazes me.

So, I go and win the race on Sunday. After the podium ceremony, I said to my crew chief I was going to take the golf cart back to the rig so I could change and clean up. I drove down the hill to where the rig was, and the entire time I clutched the checkered flag just like Linus holds on to his security blanket. I did not have my thumb in my mouth...:)

About halfway down the hill I hear my name called out. I stopped when I see it was one of the safety crew that I met the day before. He asked for my business card. It turns out he took some pictures of my on my victory lap after the race. He explained that he was with two different people during the race, and when we were on our warm-up lap he pointed my car out to the two new people, then showed pictures of my wrecked car, telling them that the driver of both cars was the same. He said their eyes were like saucers when they saw the wrecked car, and couldn't beleive I was "out there" so soon.

When I won the race, he stayed at his station to take the pictures he's sending to me. This is significant as our race was the last of a long day, and normally the corner workers and safety crew "beat feet" when their day is over. So for him to stay over, even for ten more minutes, is something. He told me he wanted me to have some good memories from Road America to help erase those bad ones from May. Very cool.

I keep saying this...it's not the speed that keeps me coming back; it's the people.

One more step to get this behind me: Round 5 of the SRT Viper Cup at VIR. One more step...

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too cool David! Thanks for sharing! We wannabes look up to you with admiration and major respect! :)

And congrats BTW! :yay: So fitting you won! :nana: