2013 Dodge Viper coming in late 2012, stability control confirmed >>

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there's a reason why the mfrs won't allow the traction control/active handling be completely shut off. I think because their attorneys believe lawsuits will be tried by those who turned them off, got into serious trouble, and then blame the mfrs for a faulty system. :dunno:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600-700 hp and my guess is an ACR X type motor for the street cars to get this. A V8 sure would drop the weight and sound better though.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The attorneys will ensure the ESC function is auto-on and requires deliberate driver action to defeat. There will likely be two forms of defeat: a button for ESC 'soft' off (allows computer override when an emergency maneuver sensed). The other defeat will be unpublished but rapidly disseminated by enthusiasts. On the current GEN Challengers, that defeat means holding the ignition key/START button in the start position while rolling. I see nothing bad/backwards about this improvement, especially since it could save your butt when you need it the most.

OP
OP
B

bigdeep1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see nothing bad/back wards about this improvement, especially since it could save your butt when you need it the most.

+1. It is silly how many people on this thread always talk about the "nannies", and how it seems weak and make it less of a car. I am sure someone will make a wise crack about my comment to make their knots feel bigger.

I would assume these are the same type of guys that laughed at seat-belts when they became mandatory. Yeah, those are for *****'s and serve no purpose. :rolleyes:

On that note, Dale Earnhardt RIP.:omg:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Shooter is correct , I am afraid. Those are those pesky old German systems which never truly ever totally disengage. The Italians , on the other hand, will likely have a full on/off switch for the passionate Snakecharmers here in the US.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1. It is silly how many people on this thread always talk about the "nannies", and how it seems weak and make it less of a car. I am sure someone will make a wise crack about my comment to make their knots feel bigger.

I would assume these are the same type of guys that laughed at seat-belts when they became mandatory. Yeah, those are for *****'s and serve no purpose. :rolleyes:

On that note, Dale Earnhardt RIP.:omg:

Since we don't have a choice on ESC because of federal mandates, we do have options on the type of ESC that can be installed on the next Viper. If we're forced to have it, lets have a performance orientated ESC.

What most people don't realize is there are different types of ESC/Traction control. If the SRT guys really want to use the latest and greatest, the ESC will actually make you much faster on the track because if it activates, then you are doing something wrong. Most pro race car drivers will confirm that if the ESC is activating, you are doing something wrong. The ESC can even be programmed via our GPS Nav system to activate differently for different track layouts. So imagine if you data logged Kuno Wittmer's driving line around Laguna Seca. With a touch of a button you could run that track and see if you are online of off line of what Kuno ran. If the ESC kicks in, you ****, if it doesn't, maybe you've missed your calling as a top flight racecar driver. The key is you can learn from the ESC if it is programmed correctly. Then if you want to turn it off completely that's always your option and try the line again.

Since our cars already have anti lock brakes, I don't think that a more advanced ESC is going to add more weight than 1 or 2 gallons of gasoline, max....something you'd burn in the first 2 or 3 laps of a track event.

Reality is most people on here think they are great drivers. I'd venture to say they are in the top 98% of recreational performance drivers in the world. It's that last 2% that is never going to be achieved by those on this forum (otherwise they would be paid racecar drivers and not on this forum). Most can't take the ego hit to admit that they are not pro material, but that's reality.

Hopefully SRT will look that far ahead and give us these type of options. Having an ESC that can have different settings and a complete "off" for guys that want to play Formula Drift would be awesome.

The ESC on the next Viper will allow you to drive on snow and ice that you'd have trouble walking on. The technology is there, even for a two wheel drive car. On the trip back from the VOI, I had 8 hours of constant rain on a stick straight highway. I would have loved ESC for something that boring but potentially dangerous with hard to see puddles and standing water in the dark.

Hopefully SRT will give us an ESC that can also be marketed as a performance learning tool, something that no other US car manufacturer has as far as I know. This would be a good time to really build on "Never Neutral".

Cheers,
George

Last edited:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Through a close friend of mine, who has a nephew who works at Delphi Electronics, we spoke briefly with his nephew about two weeks ago and the topic came up about the new GEN V electronics his group is working on as I told him I own a Viper. He stated that the GEN V electronics is going to be "state of the art" and a radical departure from some of the directions Dodge (or any manufacturer) have taken in the nannie programming department. He commented that the directions being taken are "revolutionary" and will provide as completely liveable and "growing" system as you can get. He could not provide any specifics, but spoke in generalities. He did say however that it apparently is going to incorporate a portion of artification intelligence (AI) so it is going to be a learning system that will learn the driver's habits and allow the driver to become more one with the car as though it is an extension of the driver, not an aid for the driver. Driver's profiles are kept and tracked somehow but he did not say how.

Sounds like a very interesting concept. Sometimes new cars with electronics can be scary to buy, however if they can get enough testing out there and prove out the programming and hardware, it can produce and amazing package. Maybe that is also why it is taking so long with no real new "hatched on date" annouced.

Then again his brother seemed to know what he is talking about and he does work for Delphi, however he could be pulling a fast one on us, but he does work for Delphi. Anyway, that is what I heard which was just the high level generalized concept part.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AI has already been used on vehicles engines and how they adapt to your driving style, so an ESC version would not be far off.

For cars with an active suspension like the new Mclaren with its hydraulic suspension, you could "tune" the vehicle for each corner and the type of corner. You could use a canned program where a factory test driver has pre-programmed suspension settings for every modern race track or you could program your own suspension settings to suit your style via a laptop. You could even program different tunes for wet tracks, dry tracks, rough tracks and different tire compounds. Cool thing about programming is it doesn't add one ounce of weight to the car.

This type of programming is old news (when Michael Andretti was in F1, they experimented with this in 1993), so with todays programming and processors the system would be even more incredible.

Hopefully your friend is correct and they will be giving us more performance potential than we could ever have hoped for 3 years ago.

Cheers,
George

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte