2398 miles in 3 days in my '98 RT

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2398 miles in 3 days in my \'98 RT

I just finished a memorable road trip. My '94 RT was crashed/totaled last month, and I found a deal on a '98 RT in Dallas while finalizing the claim on my '94. My insurance company was able to wrap things up quick enough for me to hop a plane two days later and fly down to Dallas from Seattle.

Talk about making me appreciate how fast air travel is! Almost exactly three full days after arriving in Dallas, I returned to my home in the Seattle area. Putting 2398 road miles on the car sure gave me plenty of time to familiarize myself with a Gen 2 RT/10.

Interesting statistics:

Average speed, including stops for photos, food, gas, and facilities: 61 miles per hour

Average Fuel economy: 24.4 miles per gallon fuel. AMAZING! I used less than 100 gallons of fuel to return.

Number of Speeding Tickets: 0

Day 1 (leaving Dallas at 7:00 pm): Dallas to Sweetwater, TX 222 miles
Day 2; Sweetwater, TX to Flagstaff, AZ, 763 miles
Day 3; Flagstaff, AZ to Jordan Valley, OR, 880 miles
Day 4; Jordan Valley, OR, to Bothell, WA, 533 miles

You must be registered for see images

I'm the third owner of this particular bone-stock '98 RT/10, which had 11700 miles on the odometer when I left Dallas. The front fascia has been repainted (quite well!) and the car never had a hard top, so the asking price was a couple grand below the going market average for a '98 RT. The new Pilot Sports are a nice bonus.

What a car. Maybe I'm starting to get old, but I find myself appreciating the quieter exhaust note (which has a better overall sound than the sidepipe-equipped RTs), the presence of A/C (my sons will appreciate that in the summer), and the power windows. This car is clearly the Viper I've always wanted.

Now for some photos!

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 2398 miles in 3 days in my \'98 RT

im glad to see someone who actually drives their car!

nice

i drove strait from Dallas TX to San Francisco CA.. 3 days... no sleep to pickup my current C5..

congrats on the upgrade

S

SUN RA KAT

Great story & great photos! It's amazing how great of a road car these Vipers are on long trips.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

cool.gif

WOW!! nice pics and good weather and nice roads...
If i drove mine for 3 days i would get very wet i'd fall off the adge of the UK..
Love to have weather,landscape and roads like that

Seifer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Holy crap. $2.00 for a gallon of gas! Thats crazy.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dave,

As I live in Dallas, I was curious as to whom you bought your Viper from? Maybe I know the car!!?

Tommy K

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Welcome to club Red 98 RT/10! My favorite year. Good buy, and have fun with the new ride!

OP
OP
D

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I got it at Park Place Porsche/Audi on Oak Lane Ave. Apparently it was a trade-in. It was previosly owned by someone in Ft. Worth.

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice ride! Drove my 93RT from LA to Wisconsin in 2 days! 2100+ miles in 23 hours. What a way to get familar with the car! Ok, I lied, my wife drove half way.....

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Man! That was a long drive. But I bet it was a blast to drive through the little towns too! I wouldn't mind taking a drive like that!