#253 Arrives in Denver (broken in an ready to go)

Mike - in Denver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a one way ride to Omaha from Denver with family heading West, so when the unexpected snow was on the ground I had a choice. Find a way home and try another day, or hit the trail today and hope for good roads (and a car wash).

Thats me in the Y2KGTS post (Chris) heading out with my new black snowmobile. After spending most of my life in Canada, a little ride in some snow was like homecomming. I got lucky. After a few miles to the main highway the roads were dry all the way back to Denver. Hit a car wash in Lincoln and thanks to the Zaino from Woodhouse you would never know I was in the stuff. Hmmm, even following break in proceedures it seemed to take only 6 hours home when it took 81/2 hours to get to Omaha???

This was my first purchase with Woodhouse. After seeing some of the posts here I was becoming quite curious - was it hype, or is this place for real. I can assure you it is the real deal. I can't say enough about the professionalism and courtesy shown by all, and special thanks to Bill and Bob for thier time today. It was also great to meet the fine folks from Kansas. I hope we can meet up some time and compare notes on our new rides. Please look me up if you are coming through Col sometime. My pictures turned out lousy (yours look great). I have posted the only one that seemed clear enough.

OK, now some comments after 560+ miles home.

WOW. I have an RT/10 in the garage so I feel I can compare. And for the record (save your flames) I am one of the minority who likeed the RT/10 over the GTS, and I would never own a Viper if it were not a roadster. Just so you know where I am coming from, I am a cabrio fan. I love the look of this car -- Black and Silver expecially -- so I will not bother arguing that here. But I was surprised at how cool it feels looking over the hood and the pointy fenders. Has a very cool/fun feel.

The roof is awsome. I can compare it to my 911/996 and tell you that it is simple, tight fitting, and exceptional at high speeds (well I had to try 6th to break it in). By the way, when the heck will I use 6th? 105+ MPH at 1800 RPM. I won't tell you about 3000 RMP. In general, it may be just me but this car seem to drive as if it is geared taller -- need to watch when cuising b/c it really creeps up in speed more that my '01.

Love the gauges. Would like the temp at the top though. It would be cool if you could order your gauge placement. A thought. Guage dimmer is excellent. However, the police officer told me that I should spend more time looking at the spedometer...whatever. That's a story for another day.

Chris' post nailed it on my only complaint. The door handle system needs to be re-thought. Too many finger prints already.

Radio looks typical mini van'ish, but the sound is awsome, and easy to program. I was impressed, and frankly not expecting it.

Love that dead peddle! Those with larger than size 11 may find it a tight fit, but it works for me. Peddle adjustment is excellent. Headlights are unbelievable, esp hi beam.

The Heat/Air system is actually a "system" with tons of variance. My wife will stop complaining. BTW, I thought the heat from the sills was very acceptable (just warm to the touch).

Exhaust note is something I like better. It's a personal thing, but I think it has a better sound than my '01 (stock). It does not cough and bark as much on the deceleration and has a smoother, racier sound -- I will miss the coughs and barks.

OK, now it's broken in, so I tried it out a few times. Wholy crap! This is not just power mods for those bickering over how many HPs it has. The way this thing delivers the power, and the way it holds the road, this is not only a faster car but a car that can be driven faster and more confidently (I think even safer). I was not expecting this factor. Wow again!

One goof up -- who designed the gas cap? Mistake. Nice little plactic holder allows the cap to nicely bounce along the side. Gone, I ripped it off. Also the filler angle means there is more risk of rubbing the nozzle. Dodge should have continued using the filler protector they had on the RT/10s. I think I will order one.

Here comes the confession. I must admit that after about 5 hours I was getting tired of having my coke between my legs. I reached over, pulled out that dumb ash tray, and that coke sat in there like butter. Was that ever nice. Please don't hate me. Oh no...they are going to ban me from this board! Where is that delete key????? Ooops.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, just after you left, we were all worried you might get stopped along your journey because we noticed that your "in transit" stickers were left at the Parts counter.

Glad to hear you didn't have a problem ----- or did you???

Nice meeting you.

OP
OP
M

Mike - in Denver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank, Thanks for the note. Actually, every thing did go well. Regarding the Cop, I think he pulled me over b/c he wanted to look at the car. I have had that happen before. He understood about the transit stickers (I guess it happens a lot) since I had all the paperwork. He just gave me a warning, and then asked how much I paid for the car, and how it was running, etc.

BTW, he pulled me for doing 80 in a 75. I think he was nice to me b/c I was nice to him. (I was more than willing to write a check for 80 in a 75 -- thought it would be good Carma since I know how bad I had been just an hour before. Glad to get caught for 80).

Good luck with your ride. I think the SRT in Silver is the best Silver car ever produced. It was a coin toss for me. Cheers.

VIPERGILLY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MIKE DON'T FORGET TO COME THE THE FIRST VIPER MEETING OF THE YEAR AT JACKSONS HOLE AT 6TH AND KIPLING FEB. 2ND. I FEEL THE WEATHER WILL BE GOOD. GILLY