2ND ANNUAL NJ / NY AUTOX CHALLENGE!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Sir, (sorry didn’t see your name on the post anywhere),

How is one supposed to know the rules if they are not written? This is my point of contention. Any right minded person would have the same issue. Okay fine, VCA has these rules…okay then why are they not made public? The flyer for sure didn’t reflect them, nowhere on this thread were these rules reflected and they were not mentioned to the competitors prior to the event. The only time I heard this was half-way through the event, and was led to believe I would still be eligible. I know you and Bob are probably really good friends or at least you're both loyal VCA members, and I’m just a thorn in your side, but I promise you this is what was told to me and retold. In fact, the moment I got home from the event, I put the check in the mail and even emailed Bob thanking him for a wonderful event and letting him know that I followed through on membership. I would not just do this for the heck of it or for make believe. I WAS LED ON!

You also mention that this was a “qualifier”. Then there is a clear connection between the two events so therefore they are not so separate. Why would I be allowed to compete, why would any non member be allowed to compete in a VCA event and they weren’t allowed to qualify? Don’t you think this is an important rule that was left out of any written document and the fact that nobody takes responsibility is beyond me!
Come on, give me a break! You’re telling me that this doesn’t amount to anything??? How about false advertising, how about deception. How about being lied too. How about the wasted money and extreme tire wear among other wear and tear. How about the countless time spent on this. How about the aggravation! And not to mention being threatened by a VCA representative who said he would have me banned from VCA!

I agree, smiles are good, very good, but avoiding my concerns and not trying to resolve this is wrong and bad business. Since day one, I have tried to reach out to the powers incharge, but I have either been ignored or insulted.
Ben

Sorry about that Ben - my name is Chris Marshall. I have been around here long enough to grow mold and sometimes forget to mention my name. Again, my apologies.

Let me address your concerns directly: First off, the "VCA vs. SRT" autocross is a long-standing event that was designed to build the relationship between the manufacturer and our car club. Normally the qualifying events are held at a Zone Rendezvous, which the regional presidents and board of directors voted against holding at a recent board meeting. Unfortunate, as it also put competitors on a more even footing: All would drive the same factory-provided SRT-10's at each event - no advantages between modified or newer cars over stock and/or older. The qualifiers were always VCA members because VCA members were the only ones allowed to attend. There have already been qualifiers in the SE and West this year - all of which only allowed VCA members to participate. That has been the standard practice since Day 1.

The Venom Cup is a Regional/Zone event that is not organized by National (if it was it probably wouldn't have been nearly as good ;)). National has no control over what is said or done at those events. Quite frankly, I personally think it is an EXCELLENT idea to invite non-members to participate in the autocross so that they can get to know what the VCA represents. You were "allowed to compete" for that very reason - because the VCA wanted you to enjoy activities with the local clubs. Heck, we have Lamborghini, Lotus, and Ferrari owners that are Associate Members of our local club - they pay the $100 and everything. But they don't get VIPER magazine, name badges, or ANY other national club benefits: No eligibility for things like raffles or the SRT vs VCA autocross. We communicate that up front before they even consider spending that $100. And they happily pay it anyway because the club alone is worth the money.

The Detroit trip (which, by the way, is NOT "all expenses paid") is an incentive specifically and solely for VCA members to represent the club against the SRT autocross team. It has never been anything else nor has ever involved a non-member. It is truly where "membership has its privileges".

Ben, the bottom line is very simple: The Detroit autocross event is strictly for paid VCA members, period. You weren't a member at that time. Should that have been more clearly communicated? According to you, yes. Others say it was mentioned a couple times during the day. Would that have affected your decision to participate? Only you know that for sure. To me it sounds like it was a great time for all and that the only "downer" was the Detroit qualification - and that was after the event was over.

So, here is what I would politely suggest: The VCA will refund your membership dues in full - assuming your check has even been cashed yet. It doesn't sound like you had any interest in the club anyway and certainly we all started out on the wrong foot. Your eligibility for Detroit has never been in question - you aren't. Whether that was clearly communicated or not I can't say. Regardless, we will not change this position. Like the lottery ticket reference earlier, it would be like buying a winning ticket and then complaining that nobody told you about the multiplier before you won: No matter how much you complain it won't change the payout.

I am very sorry that this didn't go as you had hoped. Please let me know your mailing address by PM and I will arrange for your refund.

Best regards,

Chris Marshall

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben,
Having read through all this, I am curious as to your intent. Specifically, if you were fully aware that you were ineligible for the Detroit invitation prior to that day, would you have entered the event?

bwagman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ben,
Having read through all this, I am curious as to your intent. Specifically, if you were fully aware that you were ineligible for the Detroit invitation prior to that day, would you have entered the event?

I'm exhausted with this, but here's your answer:

Hello,

As I have indicated in my previous posts, I am a competitor. However, I also enjoy being around your average car enthusiast. Remember, I did attend the first event, I had a good time, however, not for nothing, but not one VCA member/president ever approached me well or the exception of Tom H. No "welcoming committee" for potential VCA members ...where was VCA after the event was over reaching out to perspective members who participated that day? but that's another issue. I have run many, many autocrosses (I've been doing this for 10 years). I autocross my Viper/STi almost weekly, primarily for competitive purposes, it's fun but it's also a competition where you accumulate points for each event until the end of the season, needless to say it can be VERY expensive. I have been part of numerous motorsport organizations over the last 10 years such as NJ SCCA, NJBMWCCA, NASA Northeast Motorsports, the former M Club and currently the one I helped create, the Motorsports Northeast Club. We are a great bunch of guys who extend ourselves to anyone and everyone who has an interest in motorsports. Our events are usually always sold out! Oh and one other thing have clearly stated race and membership rules posted on our website.

Going into the 2nd Annual Venom Cup my thoughts were to give it another try, see if things are more sociable/more inviting this time and if not well if anything I can still enjoy racing around the lot while possibly winning a trip to Detroit thus making it overall a worthwhile decision to attend.

Keep in mind any form of autocracing is costly, whether it be autocross, drag racing, or HPDE. It's more then just the entry fee. It's tire wear, brake wear, suspension wear, you know all of that stuff, plus scratches, nicks, and dings, who know's maybe even slamming into a curb, especially at an autocross in a parking lot. I am well aware of these risks especially when driving a car which I paid nearly $50K for. So to answer your question NO! Considering the above, it would not have been worth going had I known ahead of time I would not be eligable for Detroit.

I think this is a pretty fair basis for my decision.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Honestly folks, I 'm tired and do not feel the need to continue this anymore. I do not agree with VCA or their policies (wherever they may be written). Over these past few days, I have voiced my concerns, which have resulted in either being well received, attacked, or in some cases insulted. And I expected this given the nature of a public forum, and that's fine. However, I have concluded that I do not want to be part of any organization that operates this way. It is my hope that in the future that VCA does not screw anyone else and that they will take the necessary action to specifically post (in writing) their criteria for each and every event.

All the best to Tom and Andrew in Detroit,
Ben