2nd gear power braking??

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At the track, what gear do you guys with 3.55 gears do your burnout in? This is with drag radials. Just wondering because it takes me forever in 1st on a real cold day to really heat up the tires.
Also, what is the proper way to power brake. I usually just pop the clutch, then move my left foot over to the brake. Is that the best way to do it, or is there a better way?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'll though 2 cents in ...

For power braking I've always done what you describe, dump it & left foot on the brake. I've had a line lock before, which is nice, but never had a problem without it.

For burnout I've only stock gears in the viper, but in my stangs I've run 3.55 - 3.73s on all 5 of them & heat 'em up in 2nd gear for a good burnout - on DOT drags. For street tires I don't do a burnout, just a nice sit & spin & pull out - avoiding the water.

Dave.

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stab the brake with your right heel. Put the car in 2nd gear. Bring up the revs to about 4500 rpm or so with the ball or toes of your right foot while still holding the brake with your heel and let the clutch out. You'll have to give it more gas as the tires heat up to keep the revs up. After a couple/ few seconds, roll off the brake and then the gas as the car lurches forward. Stab the clutch and let off the gas at the same time then apply the brakes to keep the car from moving too far forward and going through the beams. Put the car back in 1st and stage.

It's that easy!

OP
OP
L

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats what I was looking for. Thanks for the input guys. Will the stock clutch hold the 2nd gear burnout?

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what I was looking for. Thanks for the input guys. Will the stock clutch hold the 2nd gear burnout?

Yes. Remember, you can't just ease off the clutch when you start to do the burn out. You'll hurt the clutch in no time flat. You have to "pop" it so it shocks the tires and gets them spinning. (Like that table cloth/ dining room table trick).