3.55's to be installed

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just talked with Henry at AZ. Differenial and they said they recommend I get 3.55's instead of the 3.73's I was thinking about having installed. They can install them next week in one day for $875. Taking in the whole car, not just the rearend. Is this a good price or am I getting Viper taxed again.
Thanks
Dave

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you got advice on the gears...what year Viper do you have? 3.55's are more widely used than the 3.73s...especially if you track. Sounds like a fair price to me...we were going to go with the 3.55's...but don't track, so really not worth it to us to change. What tires do you use? Got pics? Would love to see your car!!! ~juli

OP
OP
Z

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a red 97 GTS. Only has 7600 milew on it. Picked it up a couple months ago. Working out a few bugs from sitting so long. Had to re-fill the AC, change out the battery and it seems the brake booster isn't working as good as it should. Have a nice used one of those coming. Other that that it looks new inside and out. Going to paint white stripes on it and then I'll post some pics.
Dave

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a red 97 GTS. Only has 7600 milew on it. Picked it up a couple months ago. Working out a few bugs from sitting so long. Had to re-fill the AC, change out the battery and it seems the brake booster isn't working as good as it should. Have a nice used one of those coming. Other that that it looks new inside and out. Going to paint white stripes on it and then I'll post some pics.
Dave

You are now a Viper Owner...you should join the VCA and change your avatar to VCA Member and post a pic for the avatar!!! Glad you are onboard, you've got a great Viper there...will love to see your pics when you have them! a/c; battery--little things....glad you're getting the brake booster replaced....once these cars sit for awhile...yeah, gotta check everything out, or have an expert Viper Tech do it (up here, it's Viper Wizard himself--Chuck Tator!) Where are you located? ~juli

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just talked with Henry at AZ. Differenial and they said they recommend I get 3.55's instead of the 3.73's I was thinking about having installed. They can install them next week in one day for $875. Taking in the whole car, not just the rearend. Is this a good price or am I getting Viper taxed again.
Thanks Dave

Price vs Quality of HARDWARE should be your concern. 500+ ft-lbs will eat cheap gears...... we learned our lesson YEARS ago....

We can provide an easily obtainable 3:55 gearset for $189............... to our worst enemy only. I suggest spending more for the quality of stronger, beefier US-made gears, cryo-hardened, maybe even polished.....and have your local guy provide reasonable labor.

OP
OP
Z

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with AZ. Diff. and they said they put Spicer gears in all their cars. Said they were american made. He said I could get cryo hardened gears for another $160 but unless I was going to build the engine and drag race it, I would be wasteing my money. Guranteed for a year or 12000 miles. What do you think?
Dave

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are now a Viper Owner...you should join the VCA and change your avatar to VCA Member and post a pic for the avatar!!! Glad you are onboard, you've got a great Viper there...will love to see your pics when you have them! a/c; battery--little things....glad you're getting the brake booster replaced....once these cars sit for awhile...yeah, gotta check everything out, or have an expert Viper Tech do it (up here, it's Viper Wizard himself--Chuck Tator!) Where are you located? ~juli
z76232, sounds like a far price to me. Even if you were paying $100. an hour and 5 hrs still looks right. If I couldn't do the job myself I would pay that for the job including parts. No bearings just ring and pinion. Glad to have a New Viper owner but Juli need to show him how to stay on topic. :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id go with beefier US-made gears & cryo-hardened as ya never know what youre gonna do to it in the future and its added insurance for just $160.....do it once and do it right

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB didn't say, but I am guessing he has either Mopar or Unitrax gear set which is the standard for the Viper community. $875 fo parts and labor is a good price. You love the extra TRQ!

rraulston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
is this a reputable company?????if so, i might do the same. Shops here in Tucson ****......i wouldnt trust them with a Yugo.....Is this shop in Phx??? Ray

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
z76232, sounds like a far price to me. Even if you were paying $100. an hour and 5 hrs still looks right. If I couldn't do the job myself I would pay that for the job including parts. No bearings just ring and pinion. Glad to have a New Viper owner but Juli need to show him how to stay on topic. :2tu:

:dunno: :dunno: Who, ME???!! :rolaugh: Yep, I will stay on topic--been e-spanked by Raysir!~!
No worries--I stayed on topic here, I believe!! 3.55 gears are pretty standard anywhere in the USA...it's if you want 3.33s or 3.45s I believe, they are not made in as good a quality. Precision Gears...does that ring a bell with anyone? Good? (I am being good, I am ON TOPIC!! :cool: :cool: :cool: ) LOL--juli

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are now a Viper Owner...you should join the VCA and change your avatar to VCA Member and post a pic for the avatar!!! Glad you are onboard, you've got a great Viper there...will love to see your pics when you have them!

I tried doing that, I put in my VIN# and everything, and it doesnt work for me, also I have pictures of me and my ACR. that I want to put up, but the photos I have say wrong format, can anybody help me?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are now a Viper Owner...you should join the VCA and change your avatar to VCA Member and post a pic for the avatar!!! Glad you are onboard, you've got a great Viper there...will love to see your pics when you have them!

I tried doing that, I put in my VIN# and everything, and it doesnt work for me, also I have pictures of me and my ACR. that I want to put up, but the photos I have say wrong format, can anybody help me?

PM (private message) Y2KSRT or Lee00silverblack-they are the moderators and can help you out. (I believe you need to join the VCA first...but they can verify that)....good luck and WELCOME!!! ~juli

GreenWorm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price vs Quality of HARDWARE should be your concern. 500+ ft-lbs will eat cheap gears...... we learned our lesson YEARS ago....

We can provide an easily obtainable 3:55 gearset for $189............... to our worst enemy only. I suggest spending more for the quality of stronger, beefier US-made gears, cryo-hardened, maybe even polished.....and have your local guy provide reasonable labor.

Have a set of cheap summit gears in a car running 8.60's with a 1.23 60ft.... I kinda have to say bullcrap on that. Been there for two seasons. Ring and pinion is ring pinion... not viper specific. Yes there are differences and price ranges, but I think he will be fine with that. Arnt you the same one bashing Alan's performance and other venders?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96