3 Day Fall Cruise, October 7-9th, 2011

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fall Cruise October 7th, 8[SUP]th[/SUP] and 9th, 2011

The VA-MD VCA Fall Cruise will be held Saturday-Sunday, October 7-9th. Join us for a three-day tour over some great roads and through some very scenic countryside. We’ll be driving about 250 miles on Friday and Sunday, and nearly all those miles will be on quality two-lane roads with a high “fun-to-drive” quotient. Our route will be similar to the route we took last year, with some variations. Everyone who participated in this event last year loved the roads and had a great time.

On the first day we will cover about 280 miles. Our route will take us in a southwest direction along the Appalachian Mountains. We have 4 different pit stops planned for refueling and restroom intermissions. We will be traveling along the Virginia/West Virginia border throughout the day. Day one will conclude at the Hampton Inn in Fishersville, Virginia around 5:00 PM.

The Hotel Information is as follows:

Hampton Inn Waynesboro/ Stuarts Draft

15 Four Square Lane
Fishersville, VA 22939
(540) 213-9500
(800) 932-9061

The room rate is $179.00 per night. I have reserved some rooms. Please call the Hotel and make your reservations for Friday and Saturday. Please mention that the room is for the Viper Club to get the discounted rate, if necessary. If you cannot get a room, please let me know and I will release rooms that I have on hold to you. Here is a link to the hotel:

http://www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=WYBSDHX

On the second day, we will be visiting a car museum and a large personal collection of one of our members. We have done this in years past. A lot of very cool cars in the collection as well as some told tractor trailers, trucks and equipment.

On the third day we will cover about 230 miles and we will leave the hotel at 9:00 AM. On this day we will travel northwest from Staunton to Thornwood, WV. We will then take a Northeast route into Strasburg, Virginia. The cruise will end there around 3:00 PM allowing everyone enough time to get back home.

If you do not want to participate all three days, you don't have to. You are welcome to come along for as much of the cruise as you wish. We have had attendees only participate on one day or even as little as part of the day in the past.

If you wish to participate in the Cruise, please let me know as soon as possible. You will need to make the room reservation before October 14th. After October 14th, any remaining rooms we have not booked will be released and will only be available on a first come-first serve basis. Hotel has 72-hour cancellation policy which also happens to be October 14[SUP]th[/SUP].

Please send me a PM if interested.
Email and phone numbers removed to avoid spam.

VIRGINIA-MARYLAND REGION

[h=1]Fall Cruise Event Schedule[/h][h=1]October 7-9, 2011[/h]
Official starting point will be the Shoney's Restaurant at 1359 Berryville Avenue in Winchester, VA (directions below). Plan on meeting at 8:30 AM, we will have breakfast, discuss itinerary and hand out maps. My recommended place to stay in Winchester Thursday night is the Hampton Inn North, at 1204 Berryville Avenue (540-678-4000). There are two Hampton Inns in Winchester; the other one (which you don't want) is at the Apple Blossom Mall. If you cannot find a room around Winchester, please let me know. You could also stay in Frederick, MD and cruise in to Winchester with fellow Maryland members.

We will depart the Shoney's Restaurant promptly at 9:45 am. Please be sure your tank is full. We've got 255 miles to cover Saturday, with lunch scheduled around 12:30 in Harrisonburg, VA. If you gas up in Harrisonburg, you should not need to refuel until we get to Staunton. We should arrive at the Hampton Inn in Staunton around 5:00 pm. Our excursion Friday will take us from Winchester through Wardensville WV, Baker WV, Broadway VA, Harrisonburg VA, Franklin WV, Monterey VA, Warm Springs VA and Staunton VA.

Saturday will be more of a rest and relaxation day. The tentative plan is to visit the Eavers car museum in the mid morning. We will follow this up with a nice lunch and a tour of a member’s vast personal collection of cars.

Sunday morning we'll leave Staunton at 9:00 am (breakfast in the Hampton Inn dining room). The early morning departure is so that we can take on the mountain roads of US-250 with minimal traffic. Our route Sunday will cover about 210 miles and will take us from Staunton through Monterey VA, Thornwood WV, Judy Gap WV, Seneca Rocks WV, Petersburg WV, Moorefield WV, Wardensville WV and wind up in Strasburg VA around 3:00 pm. Lunch is scheduled in Petersburg WV. Those of you heading west will probably want to turn off at either Seneca Rocks or Petersburg.

Those of you who traveled with us in the past will remember the fun we had on Route 55 in eastern WV (the expressway in the middle of nowhere). I've planned this trip so that we can enjoy this road on both Saturday and Sunday. We will also include a short blast on Old Route 55. Our route Sunday is exactly the same as last year. Saturday's trip will take us on some different roads, however, and we'll tackle twisty US-33 between Harrisonburg and Franklin. (Hopefully the other traffic will cooperate.)

Directions to Shoney's Restaurant in Winchester, VA:

From the north via I-81, take exit 315. At the exit, you want to turn right onto Route 7 West toward the town of Winchester. Shoney's will be on your left immediately after you turn onto Route 7.
If you're coming on I-81 from the south, you will see Shoney's on the left side off I-81 just before you exit the interstate. On the exit ramp, stay to the right to take you onto Route 7 West. Once you cross over I-81, you will see Shoney's on the left.
If you're coming from Leesburg, Berryville or points east on Route 7, when you cross over I-81, you will see Shoney's on the left.

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Important to note: You do not have to participate in all three days, if you schedule does not permit, you can pick and choose any combination.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in....! I like a good viper cruise. I hope I can get my car out and to the street by then.

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ugh, why did I have to go an volunteer for this stupid work trip that has me missing this cruise and the next crab feast?!?!

This *****. Have fun to the guys that can make it!

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ugh, why did I have to go an volunteer for this stupid work trip that has me missing this cruise and the next crab feast?!?!

This *****. Have fun to the guys that can make it!

You are missing a good one, but there is always next year!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent, I will put you down. How many days are you doing this year? 1, 2....3?

At least the first day John (as I did a few years ago). Day 2 and 3 are undecided... I'll probably break away and head south on Sat. to visit friends then loop back up north and follow the BRP home on Sun. In any case, don't count on me at the hotel near Waynesboro. I've had it with that little speed-trap town.

Cheers

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to send a quick message out to let everyone know that there are still a few rooms left, but I will be cancelling the unfilled room reservations to avoid having to pay a cancellation fee.

Weather outlook for this weekend is suppose to be excellent.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, my wife and I are coming, our hotel is booked, see you Friday AM

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for letting me know Carmen. Did anyone else from PA region decide to come? Also, did you ever get a chance to drive the route?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a few people interested, but the Friday start threw them off a bit, I have a couple of people that I need to contact today to see if they made a final decision. I did not have the opportunity to drive your entire route, some of the roads were ones that we had done a trial run on earlier, but we did not go near as far south.

How many cars are you anticipating this year?

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 8 confirmed, but the hotel still has some space, so if anyone makes a last minute decision, they can probably accomodate. In years past, you could never get a room unless you booked 6 months in advance, I think we have the economy to thank for rooms still being available. I have sent a detailed email to members who responded to me. Please check your email!

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a couple more today. Looks like we will have a great turn out for this event. If you are reading this and you want to try to hook up with us somepoint during the three days, please PM and we will try to figure somehting out.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a great trip. I waited at Seneca Rocks untill noon...
Here's my ride after I left you guys on Friday. Anybody take some group pics?
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just missed us at Seneca Rocks by about 20 minutes. We were running a little late. Carmen did some me some pics, I will try to get some time to upload them.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score