360 on Freeway .......

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Entererd on-ramp on local freeway and must have given too much gas and ended up doing a complete 360 in traffic and was able to maintain enough to continue driving all in one motion... It was the most out-of-control feeling I have ever had in any sports car I have ever driven... Have taking some instruction and limited track time but this was borderline ridiculous.

I have a friend who has a 04 Cobra with some incredibly sticky very soft Toyo tires and he said he cannot break that car lose (he upgraded pulley and it is very quick). While he gets flats all-the-time at least he is around to get them fixed. I cannot, in good-conscience, keep this vehicle when life can be taken so quickly..

I realize that these cars have a dispropotionate amount of power/torque compared to the ability for stock setup on vehicle to maintain control (based upon my experience).

I am looking for recommondations on the following to see what people think of these mods and how much they will help car stick to street road surface:

1) Stickiest tires made that can be used for street use regardless of tire size

2) Best size rims for the above (1) stickist tires made (front/rear)

3) Upgrade suspension (KW, Motons, lowering vehicle...)

4) Quaiffe differential

This happened at night and the road surface was cool and the tires where stock run-flats and vehicle had just recently been started. I realize that when road surface is cool (not wet) and run-flats are cool they do not stick that well... I am hoping there is solution even when the car has recently been driven (tires not hot yet) and road surface on the cooler side. Car is all stock except for Corsa track exhaust and K&N.

Car was in Las Vegas for those who were wondering (this past week).

Thanks,

Mark

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the topic headline and thought that you were going to tell us all a lurid tale of street racing a Ferrari 360 on the freeway.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you didn't wreck.

If you weren't getting on it, you probably just hit some oil or gas. IMO

Try pulling a few spark plugs:)

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you didn't wreck.

My thoughts exactly, about something on the road surface.

OP
OP
M

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hard to say what was on the road surface but I think I got on it to some extent... It's just that if I had really soft and sticky tires that might have made the difference...

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For something that bad, I agree, something must have been on the surface. In Vegas, I know if gets cold at night but nothing like here in the Northeast and knock on wood, we are okay. Just got to be careful.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad you didn't wreck.

I'm not so sure about that- I didnt post my experience last Sun morning, but I will now. In second under hard acceleration (not even close to flooring it), just passing up a car, my Vipe began to fishtale wildly, both ways. I caught it luckily, had I not had the extra service lane to make an *** of myself I would have wrecked the car for sure... it was totally dry out aro 45-50 degrees, and there was absolutely no sound of the tires breaking loose. It scared the absolute *** out of me, I could not believe it as I was simply going straight and getting on it just a bit....
I am so thankful for the Fall reminders about COLD TIRES/RUNFLATS- COLD TIRES/RUNFLATS- I am generally so careful untill the tires warm...

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
was it on I-15(probably the worst road for traction anywhere between russel and the lvms exit)? most of the streets in vegas are very slippery, since it does not rain that much to clean off the oil and residue off the streets. only hwy you get traction is 215. and nw 95.

if you want better traction try kuhmo's or pilot cups. only downside is they only come in 18's.

OP
OP
M

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, it was on the 15... I was getting on at Flamingo going South towards Russell but it happened just as I transitioned onto the 15 from Flamingo onramp...

Spoke to John at Partsrack and considering the following:

345x30x18 Rear
285x30x18 Front

All with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups

Rims: Looking at the SSR 18" all charcoal-anthracite metallic (one piece with no chrome lip) While I do have a silver SRT I also have custom black fade to silver on doors which will look good with rims but the polished lip might look better, not sure. To get the same rims with polished lip I would have to get Forgelines for 50% more cost and they are 3-piece. A friend told me to be careful with 3-piece rims due to rims coming apart and tires coming off after riding when flat (until you realize they are flat)...

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mark777,

Happened to me on Blue Diamond Road! Caught it and lost it again and this when it was 100 degrees out. I was told by NHP that the surface on Vegas roads is slick due to the heat during the summer and the dust that blows around. I have taken the Skip Barber training and it did help me save the car. We just need to be careful at all times not to get snake bit when driving on Vegas roads, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Let me know if you find a better tire.

OP
OP
M

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess the roads are a big part of the problem out here BUT...

I can easily fishtail the car while driving at less than 10-15mph in my own community when leaving my house and turning a corner at such a slow speed... I realize that the torque comes into play at low rpm's but come-on now, this is a but ridiculous... Maybe the change in weight of the rims along with Michelin Sport Cups all the way around will mostly resolve this problem...

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the drag radials on the rear with the stock pilots on the front on the SSR's and my traction issues are resolved. However even when driving around town I can easily break the tires loose if they are not heated, but then again I do have a little more power than you. :laugh:

OP
OP
M

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I generally do not heat the tires up. Like I said, I can lose it just coming aroung a corner on my own street... I am just hoping that a much stickier tire and lighter rim will resolve the problem. Maybe not?

My buddies 04 Cobra with the stickiest Toyo's don't have the same problem. I realize that he does not have the same torque though...

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark, definitely ditch the runflats but I'd stick with the stock rim sizes for mostly street use anyway.

C.Thomson

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When we in Vegas for VOI, I had REAL trouble on those on-ramps. There seems to be a fine coating of dust that you cannot really see, but you better be careful! I heard of a least one Viper that wrecked while we were there on an onramp due to this. I have never experienced slick roads in dry conditions like these before.

Do not sell your car because of this. Its the roadways where you live...I guess you just have to get used to it.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sport Cups do not work well in cool weather. At 40 degrees stock run flats are better. At 50 it is close to a coin toss. I take my Cups off in the cool weather. They absolutely **** when cold and you can't heat them up on the street in cool temps either.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the Michelin Sport Cups on my GTS and they picked up every piece of sand and gravel and just destroyed my side sills. I can't even imagine on a Gen III. I ended up taking them off and taking a bath on them.

I had my SRT/10 getting a little squirrelly on me when the temperatures dropped here last week. Made me wake up and pay attention.

Pretend your drifting Mark:)

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

Take a look at getting non-run-flat PS2s for 19" rims.

You've been here long enough to know that alot of the roads (particularly on ramps) are slick. You've just got to get a sense of when to pedal the car and when you can get on it.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I am just used to high HP cars and braking loose. My GT burns the tires from roll in 1st 2nd and 3rd I love it. My Viper is well planted and I drive her in 30 degrees all the time. Does get loose but I love it. I just roll on the throttle and control it. My 02 911 twin with 700hp just goes all wheel drive. Now I have a 07 911 turbo stock and same thing. I still love that feeling of burning em and keeping control. Just practice on some roads with no traffic or on the track. You will get better at it and know when to pull back.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Who are they making them for, then? I've got 18's on my GTS and couldn't get PS2s because they don't make the rears in 335/18's.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like you need to get some serious experience behind the wheel. If you can lose it THAT bad with out even getting on it, then better tires/diff/suspension isn't going to do anything but give you a false sense of security. Just that next time you'll lose your *** going a bit faster. The best investment you can make is with a good driving school and learning the proper technique for handling a mildly powerful car.

OP
OP
M

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with driving school... The training I already have had got me out of the bind I was in... Now I need to work on not getting in the bind in the first place (I do think the road condition must have of had a lot to do with it as well).

Thanks for the info on the sport cups as it does get cool out here and it sounds like they might be more a liability during the fall/winter seasons.

Thanks again.

Mark

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Who are they making them for, then? I've got 18's on my GTS and couldn't get PS2s because they don't make the rears in 335/18's.

They make PS2s in 335/18 now. I don't think that they are on the Tirerack website yet. Call Jon B at partsrack. He set me up with a brand new set of PS2s.

622r109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i added racelogic traction control, it works fine, can turn it on or off for when i race with brt nitrous, 700 hp and hoosier race tires 19 inch buy the way,can hook car in first gear with nos, picked up original rear wheels so i could quick change and put traction control on, can launch at 3500 rpms and car stays straight. hope this helps you. im gary email me if you have any other questions [email protected] :bonker: :bonker: :bonker:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should sell the car and buy a car with less torque if you want a forgiving car. I've lost the car 2 times: once into the curb many years ago and another just a couple of weeks ago in the wet. Both were my fault. Don't blame the car.

P.S. No cars were harmed during this post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery