3M Applications

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with the application of 3M to protect the car's finish? I've heard it's fabulous and to wrap any new viper in it! I've also heard it can deteriorate after a few years...in colour and/or texture?! If there is a problem can it safely be removed (without damaging the surface underneath) and be reapplied? What are your experiences with the product and would you recommend it? or is there a different better product?
Thanks!

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been contemplating wrapping my new Gen V in it when I get it.

The 3M 1080 materials are fantastic from everything I read. Easy to remove, don't damage paint, last a long time. The beautiful thing is, anything goes wrong with it - you just rip it off!

Now, the issue with the Gen V will be the hood - vinyl wrap only is 5' wide. The Gen 5 hood is more than 5' long... I am going to grab a single piece to try and wrap my hood first to see if can be done. if that can, the rest of the car can easily.

3M 1080 are the best you can buy AFAIK. Best thing to do is buy a few color swatches off eBay and see what you like the most. If I go for it, I am going Matte Orange or Matte Yellow

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Vipernut's referring to the Clear Bra, rather than a full colored wrap. Although a wrap would be interesting, a way to re-paint without the paint. No experience with it personally.

I'm thinking about Clear Bra-ing the nose, tail, and the front quarter panel below the hood and doors. But not the deck lid, rear quarter panels, hood or of course not the roof.

A friend did his white SLS Gullwing, and you could see a few spots where it was peeling up. I didn't like that. I imagine it's an art- that the quality of the installer is critical.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a great installer in Ancaster , had him do my car . On a white car you'll notice very slight yellowing after about 6 years . Other colours not so much . I'm told it's recommended to change after 7 years , but have seen some go 10 years . Removing is easy . A good installer will be obvious on product being removed , ie cut through .
If your going to the VCO AGM on Saturday , I can give you more detailed info . :)

Cheers Jay

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're talking about a clear coat application, installer's skill is very important. If you're talking about graphics, make sure you pick a shop that does layout, printing and application. If you break the job up, there will be finger-pointing (colors need aren't always calibrated to match, design isn't always made to ease application etc)

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Garrett gave me a name when of a guy who did mine....but I can't remember his company name. Garrett, I'm sure will fill in the blanks for me.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my clear bra (venture shield) put on 3 1/2 years and 16,000 miles ago and am ready to redo. The front bumper has some nicks in it fro rocks and I can see a slight yellowing across my white stripes. Overall has held up good.

I did front bumper, front fenders, headlights, fog lights, mirrors, side sills, 1/3 hood, and behind rear wheels.

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I install the paint protection film at my shop in Baltimore. There are two main differences in films. One has a clear coat and one does not. The one that does not is much more plyable and able to curve around the front of the hood better. Allows for a nicer looking install. It does have more of a chance of discoloring though. The products with clear will hold up better but is harder to install correctly. As everyone was saying the installer is very important. I have seen many jobs where the installer cuts into the paint trimming up the film. Although it is pre cut there are alot of times some trimming involved and a good installer can make a big difference. Also some films remove easier than others. I know you live far away but if you have any questions post them up or send me a pm. There are alot of good films out there but unfortunately not the same can be said on installers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950