3R Racing Finishes Sixth, Fourteenth and Twenty-fifth at Mid-Ohio

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Immediate Release
May 21, 2005

3R Racing Finishes Sixth, Fourteenth and Twenty-fifth at Mid-Ohio

Lexington, Ohio - 3R Racing drivers Tommy Archer, Phil McClure and Tim Wiens finished sixth, fourteenth and twenty-fifth respectively in round four of the SCCA Pro Racing Speed World Challenge GT series race today at Mid-Ohio.

At the start of the 50-minute race, the 3R drivers Archer and McClure were able to stay in the top ten. Teammate Tim Wiens was moving up from his twenty-second qualifying position when he had contact on lap four in turn one with another Viper. Wiens continued only to have more contact with a Porsche ending his day with suspension damage on lap 11.

Archer, driving the number 1/c3controls/3R Viper retains his championship points lead following his sixth place finish. "My race was not very exciting. I had a clean start and lost a position to the Porsche. I was hoping that the yellows would help me a little more; I just didn't have anything for the front runners down the straights. I was lucky to inherit sixth thanks to the Corvette and Porsche coming together. The points lead stays with the team and I am really looking forward to Cleveland next month."

Phil McClure driving the number 2/FirsTier Bank/3R Viper could not improve on his tenth place qualifying effort to finish in fourteenth. "This is the first time in my three visits to Mid-Ohio that I completed the race. The car was good at the beginning during the long run. Then following the yellows it would take three or four laps to come back in, it cost me positions. I had contact with a Corvette going into the Key Hole, he was inside and must have hit the curb and came into me broad side."

Tim Wiens continued a tough weekend in his number 3/FirsTier Bank/3R Viper. "I had a tough time in qualifying and started the race at the back. I had a good start and made up a couple of positions before I tangled with Woodhouse in turn two I was able to recover from that incident only to be in another with a Porsche in turn fourteen. That proved to be the end of my day as I thought I had a flat, the crew changed it keeping me in the lead lap only to find out that the contact knocked the toe out an inch in the rear."

Round four of the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GT series will be televised on Speed Channel on May 28th at 4:00 p.m. EST.

Speed GT Top 10 Mid-Ohio Finishers:
1. Wolf Henzler Porsche
2. John Heinricy Cadillac
3. Max Papis Cadillac
4. Lou Gigliotti Corvette
5. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac
6. Tommy Archer 3R Viper
7. Mike McCann Viper
8. Tony Gaples Corvette
9. Stu Hayner Pontiac
10. Tom Oates Corvette
-----
14. Phil McClure 3R Viper
25. Tim Wiens 3R Viper

3R Racing Viper Competition Coupe weight and restrictions for Mid-Ohio:
- Base weight 3,200 lbs., minus 100 lbs. since Road Atlanta
- 50% air restrictor
- Archer R.E.W.A.R.D.S. weight is at 180 lbs.

3R Racing would like to thank sponsors c3controls, Sirius Satellite Radio, FirsTier Bank and partners Red Line Oil, Performance Friction brake pads, Ron Davis radiators and Dodge Motorsport.

For more information or photos, please refer www.3RRacing.com or contact Kyle Chura at [email protected] or (248) 821-0468.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine