3R-Racing Looking Forward to Mid-Ohio Challenge

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3R-Racing Looking Forward to Mid-Ohio Challenge

Englewood, Colorado -- Coming off of a successful round two at Lime Rock Park, 3R-Racing is looking forward to Mid-Ohio for round three of the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GT series. The Mid-Ohio Sportscar Course should better suit the V-10 Viper and big V-8 of the teams Corvette.

After finishing all three of its entries in the top 10 at Lime Rock, 3R drivers Archer, McClure and Wiens are also in the top 10 in GT points going into Mid-Ohio.

The layout of the central Ohio road course is made up of 13-turns and covers 2.25-miles in length. The unique features combine the long straight and signature sections like Thunder Valley, the Esses and the tricky Carousel and Keyhole turns. Mid-Ohio is known as the "most competitive road course in the United States."

"I love Mid-Ohio, I have won many races there and even held the track record there," said Tommy Archer, driver of the number 22/c3controls/Whelen Engineering/3RViper. "I am somewhat optimistic about our chances, but we have the heaviest car and the smallest tire and I think the rules still favor the Cadillac and the Audi. Also Cadillac will have a third car that should easily make it more difficult for us who run in the top five. We could use some relief with the weight of our car, but like Lime Rock we will race hard and take every position that is offered to us."

In 2002 Tim Wiens, driver of the number 33/1st Interstate Inns/3R Viper, drove a Porsche at Mid-Ohio. "The last time we ran here in 2002, I was able to finish in the top ten. With the Viper I am hoping we have more of an advantage with our power and torque. Mid-Ohio is one of the country's greatest tracks, it has a great combination of turns and the main straight will allow us to showcase the power of the Viper's V-10 motor."

Phil McClure, driver of the number 73/Aggregate Industries/3R Corvette, had a tough outing at Mid-Ohio in 2002 falling out of the race on lap two with a suspension problem.
"The last time I ran Mid-Ohio I was in an accident on lap two. I like the track, we always run good there and the Corvette should be a great package to have this year. We did some testing this week and found some shock problems. When we made the change we immediately faster in testing. I am hoping to be even more competitive next week. Madness has been a weak spot on the track for us, with our improvements it should be very fun."

The race will be run on Sunday, June 27 at 10:10 a.m. and televised on Speed Channel the same day at 1:00 p.m.

Speed GT Top 10 Driver Point Standings:

1. Max Angelelli Cadillac 60 points
2. Michael Galati Audi 55
3. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac 49
4. Tommy Archer Dodge Viper 48
5. Phil McCLure Corvette 42
6. Randy Pobst Audi 35
7. John Young Saleen 35
8. Michael Culver Porsche 34
9. Lou Gigliotti Corvette 32
10. Tim Wiens Dodge Viper 30

For more information reference the team web site at www.3r-racing.com or contact Kyle Chura at [email protected] or (248) 821-0468.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_