3R-Racing Results

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May 31, 2004
Immediate Release

3R-Racing Finishes Fourth, Sixth and Thirteenth at Lime Rock

Lime Rock, Conn. -- 3R-Racing reversed its qualifying fortunes at Lime Rock placing Tommy Archer, Phil McClure and Tim Wiens in fourth, sixth and twelfth in round two of today's Speed World Challenge GT race at Lime Rock Park.

Tommy Archer, driving the number 22/c3controls/3R Viper, improved on his twelfth place qualifying effort to finish fourth. After getting a great start, Archer was in fifth place going into turn one. "I was able to get a good launch, the Viper power motored me into turn one seven places better than I started. I was having a good race with my teammate Phil until the Cadillac's decided to start their race halfway into the event. The cars handling was improved, but the small front tires still were working hard, the yellows definitely helped to cool things down. It was a good day for us in front of a nice crowd of c3controls customers." Archer's improvement from twelfth place earned him the Sunoco Hard Charger of the Race Award.

Driving the number 73/Aggregate Industries/3R Corvette Z06, Phil McClure, had a mixed race, falling back slightly on the start due to a competitor moving off the line too early and creating havoc. McClure then found himself following Archer and battling the Viper the rest of the race. "Another Corvette driver jumped the start and that messed up my first part of the race. I was racing Tommy and dicing with the Cadillac's, it was great clean fun. The car was very consistent and I was able get back a few positions that I lost at the start. I am glad to move onto Mid-Ohio with a top six finish."

Tim Wiens, driving the number 33/1st Interstate Inns/ 3R Viper, started back in 21st and methodically moved up during the race to finish in a very competitive 12th position. Wiens fastest lap was three-tenths faster than his qualifying time. "I had a slow start, I could not see the red lights so I just had to move when the field went. I was able to stay clean and pick my way through the aggression that is rampant at Lime Rock. I just kept it consistent and chipped-away at the cars in front me to bring it back with a good finish. It was a good day compared to my races here last here where we wrecked a lot pieces." Wiens moved up the same amount of places as Archer, but the Duluth, Minnesota driver received the hard charger award as a result of placing higher in the race.

The race will be televised on Speed Channel on Sunday, June 6 at 1:00 p.m.

Top 10 Speed GT Finishers at Lime Rock:

1. Randy Pobst Audi
2. Michael Galati Audi
3. Max Angelelli Cadillac
4. Tommy Archer Viper
5. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac
6. Phil McCLure Corvette
7. Michael Culver Porsche
8. Eric Curran Viper
9. Lou Gigliotti Corvette
10. Thomas Oates Corvette
---------
12. Tim Wiens Viper

For more information reference the team web site at www.3r-racing.com or contact Kyle Chura at [email protected] or (248) 821-0468.