400 Miles and this is what I ate

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One Porsche 911 Turbo
One Pontiac 6.0L GTO
One Lincoln LS (LOL, yes that was funny)

Saw one Black SRT-10 with a Red GTS behind it while driving from L.A. to Palm Springs Friday afternoon.

Leaving today and getting on the 10 freeway, I had a white SRT-10 Mamba behind me getting on the on ramp that I waved to and got a wave back.

Oh, and not once did I lose control of this car, fishtail, slide into a ditch, hit a lightpole with a 19yr old, :lmao: or anything else. 6th to 4th downshifts, 5th to 3rd downshifts, no drama.

I'm thinking there is something wrong with my car or I am the uber driver.

Are people "rev matching" their downshifts on this car?

Not sure why I've read of so many folks having control problems with the Viper.

I haven't once gotten this thing to fishtail at all, stock run flats and everything.

Not a flame, I am just curious.

Tim

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One Porsche 911 Turbo
One Pontiac 6.0L GTO

Saw one Black SRT-10 with a Red GTS behind it while driving from L.A. to Palm Springs Friday afternoon.

Leaving today and getting on the 10 freeway, I had a white SRT-10 Mamba behind me getting on the on ramp that I waved to and got a wave back.

Oh, and not once did I lose control of this car, fishtail, slide into a ditch, hit a lightpole with a 19yr old, :lmao: or anything else. 6th to 4th downshifts, 5th to 3rd downshifts, no drama.

I haven't once gotten this thing to fishtail at all, stock run flats and everything.

Tim
It's not nice to be so smug at other people's woes. :nono:

Kharma is a *****...

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine yesterday for hours spirited. Tires were decently warm I would think after that. Did a roll on punch it in second from about 30 mph after all that driving and I got a big time fish tail. I didn't feel the tires spin though. Rear end just wanted to come around and say hello, gotcha. I guess the roads are still a bit cold here. I don't think you have cold roads in Cali, at least not between LA and Palm Springs. Warfang is right, be careful what you wish for. These cars will bite when you least expect it. Don't get complacent behind that wheel.

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That which you speak of is the most dangerous part about driving this car. She holds the road very well until all of a sudden it DOESN'T!!

SnakeBit!!!

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you haven't ever had the rear end come out on you, your not driving it hard. That's not a bad thing. You may have learned from other peoples mishaps.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What I've found will cause most people to spin in this car is lift throttle oversteer. They are accelerating with fairly high revs while the car is pulling lateral g's,and for whatever reason, be it fear or some other need to slow down, let their foot off the throttle suddenly and sharply. This causes the back end to come around. It's pretty easy to do, especially if you are pushing the car hard. While I believe the stock diff contributes to this condition, it is still absolutely a case of driver error.

This car, like many high hp cars, requires delicate inputs when being pushed. The problem is that the chassis is so good and there is so much rubber that you can hamfist it around at lower speeds and it can make anyone feel like a hero. But people who have had high hp, non-nanny cars in the past, as XJR has, generally don't have a problem with the viper.

Everyone should autocross or take a few driver education events in their viper though, because until you spin it a few times in a controlled situation, it's hard to really get a feel for the car. I've learned a lot from my spins.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We took our Viper and Vette out yesterday for FIRST time since November...34 degrees was the high.
You just SIMPLY do NOT throttle the cars...the roads are WAYYYY too cold...even after an hour out there with both, having TONS of fun!!!! (Well, what we COULD have with cold roads) And, yes, the Viper can bite your ass quicker than you can blink if you are NOT careful...but we are, never had problems either, Mr. xjrguy!!! One KNOWS to be careful with our BEASTS! ~juli

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One Porsche 911 Turbo
One Pontiac 6.0L GTO

Tim

Yeah, i used to think the same thing. Then one day, while playing on a back country road with a guy on a motorcycle, my Viper got sideways when I shifted into 3rd, and I was running "R compound" tires. Didn't seem like I did anything wrong. I had driven the car the same way in the past many times with no problem, but then it just happened with no warning. I was extremely lucky and managed to regain control without hitting anything, but the road was lined on both sides with large trees and no guardrails. Could have been a very bad day for me.

I drive the car with a lot more respect now. I hope when your moment comes, and based on your post, it will, that the car only gives you a stern warning and doesn't kill you.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

Not a smug post, just an observation. Please don't take the easy way out and assume my post was to be brash and cocky. I specifically mentioned this wasn't a flame.

Anyway, I haven't floored this car yet, in ANY gear. I never had any problems with my 2004 Cobra either, although that car is more tail happy than the Viper with TC turned off.

I'm totally sympathetic to the people that wrecked the cars.

I'm new here. I know exactly what other site to go to in order to get people riled up.

That's not my intention here. If people are offended by my thread, then I highly suggest re-reading the second sentence of this post, over and over again.

Thanks for the replies so far.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its good that you seem to be in control and not scared yourself. That just means your driving within your limits. Other then that, I guarantee that car WILL get sideways at almost any point if you let it. Power shift the 2-3 shift on freeway and you will spin them up on the freeeway, accelerate hard enough out of a turn and you will spin them. If the weather is on colder side, the effects are multiplied.

But drive in a fun and safe manor, you can still go fast and be safe and have the car feel as tame as a honda civic. :D

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here Valentine-Didn't take me long to give the Viper respect. No accidents but testing on our rural roads, with the run flats ,I almost got the Viper into a corn field a few times.

Not for everyone-but I got the right tire for me-the Hoosier A6(had them over year now)-with Just very little warm up the Viper does not fish tail in 1st and never in any other gear, but I still am very careful even with the A6. You never know about road conditions.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That's driver error plain and simple.

When I first moved to Los Angeles years ago, I was driving a limited edition Mustang LX 5.0 convertible.

Being green to the scene, and cruising Sunset Strip at night this bright red Lamborghini Countach came speeding down the road.

Traffic was medium to heavy on my side of the road.

Being the thing of dreams and seeing one of these cars on the road for the first time, I couldn't take my eyes off the car.

Ended up rear ending a Jeep at 5 to 10 MPH.

Hardly any damage, and no need for insurance but, was that the cars fault?

Of course not, just replace Lamborghini with "hot chicks" minus the throttle to avoid and it's the same situation.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think anyone thought you were being smug or trying to rile anyone up. I think the point of everyones response is that the car will fishtail, tires will spin etc. if the conditions are right be it road, or driver induced, and most likely when you least expect it. For that be ready and always respect the car. Have fun with it and be safe.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What I've found will cause most people to spin in this car is lift throttle oversteer. They are accelerating with fairly high revs while the car is pulling lateral g's,and for whatever reason, be it fear or some other need to slow down, let their foot off the throttle suddenly and sharply. This causes the back end to come around. It's pretty easy to do, especially if you are pushing the car hard. While I believe the stock diff contributes to this condition, it is still absolutely a case of driver error.

This car, like many high hp cars, requires delicate inputs when being pushed. The problem is that the chassis is so good and there is so much rubber that you can hamfist it around at lower speeds and it can make anyone feel like a hero. But people who have had high hp, non-nanny cars in the past, as XJR has, generally don't have a problem with the viper.

Everyone should autocross or take a few driver education events in their viper though, because until you spin it a few times in a controlled situation, it's hard to really get a feel for the car. I've learned a lot from my spins.

Kenny,

I completely agree 100% with your post. I've found that with the massive torque of this engine, any quick, unplanned maneuvers may cause problems. I've had the device pointed in a straight line on the freeway and gotten off the gas abruptly but this is in 4th or 5th at non ludicrous speeds and can tell that at higher revs it would bite. The other thing I practice religiously since I had my first 5 spd 5.0 Mustang is rev matching the downshifts. Some people just slam the car into a lower gear and gas the car. Not good.

Now I will admit to unfamiliar territory the first night I bought my Cobra. It was my first 6 speed car.

I was on the 134 freeway coming home and I was trying to figure out the T-56 we all love. I ended up downshifting the darn car into 2nd gear instead o 4th at 80MPH. In a split second when I noticed that the revs came up a little to fast (caught it at 3000 RPM) I knew right then and there I needed to practice on this new transmission (I was used to 5 speed t-5's and the Neon's new venture manual tranny) Luckily I caught my mistake IMMEDIATELY and it resulted in nary a hiccup from the Cobra.

Does everyone here as a whole practice "blipping the gas" at a downshift to minimize wear on the clutch and more importantly lack of grip when the car is released into a lower gear?

Thanks

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that most people complain when it is cold outside.. .When its hot out the viper pretty much sticks...

When I had my paxton.. and 3.55 gears... I would play all day long.... I suggest some people learn how to control the car when it gives out... Try playing in the rain... or the cold.. just becareful... and learn how the car moves....

Joe

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am now over 1,000 miles on my 2008 and have been trying to get some fairly hard miles (running to red line, full throttle acceleration) before dynoing. I have had no issues thus far on the stock PS2s (knock on wood) but I will say that when driving this car it is literally a wake up call: If I am tired or feeling lazy/inattentive, I do not get in the car. I analogize driving a car with this much power to picking up a loaded gun; if I am not prepared to be hypervigilant, I just won't pick it up.

So when I am driving, I try to stay attuned to the how the car is responding to my inputs. I saw a video of Viper Days where Skip White or another instructor said new owners need to retrain their minds and their muscles (feet, legs, arms etc.) to provide "credit card" slice inputs. Even when doing a fairly quick wide open throttle acceleration, feel how the car is responding and be prepared to provide appropriate inputs.

In part from the various posts of people here who have had the misfortune of losing the rear end on the street, every time I push the car I am almost expecting the tires to go and the tail to go wide and to be prepared with some quick opposite lock. Needless to say, I don't find driving the Viper terribly relaxing. In fact, when I get out my hands are sweaty but I feel exhilarated.

This begs the question of how you push the limtis and get a feel for the car but I think a great solution is to do a local autocross and/or driving school with the Viper to get the feel of the car dialed in to your mind and body.

/Rich

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is absolutely correct! I dont think most people know that you can fish tail simply by letting off throttle suddenly at high speeds. This easily happens during street racing (which I am sure none of us do:D), when approaching traffic at high speeds the tendency is to let off throttle suddenly..it is almost instinct. But I did that while racing an SRT last week, got up to 150 mph and let off throttle suddenly and she almost came around on me:omg:
scared the gd bejeezes out of me! I think more people should know that these cars will do that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten