5 Quik Questions for RB1 Owners

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you with an RB1:

a. How much did you pay?
b. If you did a self-install, how long did it take?
c. If you had a dealer install, what was the cost?
d. Do you plan on adding Sirius?
e. Do you plan on adding Monster Cable's iCruze (for iPOD)?

Thanks in advance.

Alice

TriGuy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A) I did the group buy thing with Daniel (FinalGTS). I think we paid around $1350 or so - you can check the thread on the supplier specials and get details.
B&C) Daniel provided most excellent instructions and it didn't sound like it would be difficult to install by myself. Nonetheless, the car was back at the dealer anyway, so I had them install. It cost me about $120.
D&E) I'm still trying to decide what to do there. Tough decision (at least for me). I need to do something - I've been frustrated with the "only a DVD or CD" thing. I'd definitely go with the Sirius if it wouldn't be for the antenna issue. So I'm trying to decide - maybe the other responses you get will help me decide.
Cheers,
Cary

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Alice,

a. How much did you pay? I think the best person to get from is Daniel. He has group buys. I think it's about $1350 or somthing in that range.

b. If you did a self-install, how long did it take? It took me about 20 minutes. The hardest part was taking the front panel out, which is only the screws, and 4 clips to pry out.
c. If you had a dealer install, what was the cost? I am assuming it should not be anymore than $150 total because will be less than one hour's work.

d. Do you plan on adding Sirius? No, but I added a 6 disc cd changer. Got it from Daniel for $375. Took me 15 minutes to install and I put it behind the passenger seat.

e. Do you plan on adding Monster Cable's iCruze (for iPOD)? Not yet.

I highly recommend it. You will be very happy with it.

Franz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you with an RB1:

a. How much did you pay? Group buy, as above

b. If you did a self-install, how long did it take? No.

c. If you had a dealer install, what was the cost? $150, but I had my Valantine hardwired at the same time.

d. Do you plan on adding Sirius? I did at the same time. I put the Terk (very small) antenna on the dash, but while I was trying to figure out the best spot I found that it worked pretty good in the glove compartment. I bet with a little effort the antenna could be completeley hidden under the hood and get good reception.

e. Do you plan on adding Monster Cable's iCruze (for iPOD)? No need with the Sirius.

Franz

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses and input. I was most interested to know who had self-installed vs. dealer installed, and I neglected to ask how many changed amplifier or added a CD changer at the time.

I was surprised to learn of a one hour install having looked at Daniel's (FinalGTS) instructions for dash removal.

I have XM in all of my vehicles, at the office, in the home, etc. With the additional of XM to my life, I find myself rarely listening to CDs.

Franz stated that he did not need an iPOD input after he opted for Sirius, but for me these are quite separate considerations. I would want both:
a. I use satellite radio quite often for news/talk about national and world events.
b. I have a few XM Music Channels that I use regularly (Eg. 74)
c. I use the iPOD for compilations of music (exclusively rock/blues)
d. I also use iPOD for Podcasting so that I can hear various tech etc programming on my schedule.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crockett:

One does not preclude the other. Both work for me.

Mike (DSR207): You may not have gotten my message asking which vendors sold you the mats and pedals for your car.

Hope all is well, and thanks again.

Alice

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice, the mats and pedals are from advanced auto, less than $80.00 total...Great match to the Mamba interior
You must be registered for see images

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did the group purchase from Daniel.
Installed it myself.
The removal of the dash was far more difficult that expected. More frustrating than difficult. I cross threaded one of the screws when putting in back in and mangled the very wimpy threads. Still have to figure out how to fix that little problem.

I installed the 6 disc changer in the trunk. That can be a real pain, although installing behind one of the seats would have been very easy. I just wasn't sure about clearance or whether it would damage the backs of the seats.

The nav. has been pretty great. I didn't think I'd really use it that much, but I do even when just going across town. A great toy, but very useful also.

Dirk

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just installing the head unit is very simple. It is a direct replacement for the stock unit. Adding the CD changer and a Sirus unit complicate the install by 10 fold. I put the Sirus tuner and the CD changer in the trunk. (don’t know how the guy who put the unit behind the passenger seat managed that) Running the wires is what takes several hours to do. All the cables are plug and play but I had to navigate the cables over the hills and through the valleys to get back to the trunk. I guess you can tuck the tuner somewhere up in the dash, I just put it in the trunk.

My wife has XM, I have Siurs, I would say they are pretty much the same. You get all the main stuff with both, but there are a few differences with the talk shows but not much.

This kind of install is always a good time to wiring in other things while you are at it. I did my radar system at the same time. I bought all the cables and install kit from FinalGTS, he did a great job. The main reason for my install was to get satellite radio, I did not think I would use the nav very much, but it has come in very very handy.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm, but is the RB1 even needed for Sirius and iPOD? Does not the Chrysler interface for Sirius also fit with the stock radio, and does not the forthcoming iCruze from Monster Cable also not fit with the stock radio (or plans that it will)?

At one time, the RB1 was the only alternative, but I gathered that new aftermarket things from XM and Monster Cable, permit satellite radio and iPOD respectively even in the tragic little stock radio.

I do not know how one would add CDs to a changer beneath the seat, but installing it there (and a different amp) would not be difficult. Admittedly, the trunk makes infinitely more sense.

Messing up screws and fittings when removing/replacing the dash panel is a frequent complaint.

Alice & The Viper Blog

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ALICE-

Yes, all of the items that connect to an RB-1 should work on the stock RBQ as well, being the same series of radios with all of the same plug, langauges, and connections.

However, you are going to have to do the same amount of work to install those items as you would if actually changing the headunit, so most people opt for the upgrade while they are at it. Having Navigation is VERY nice, and most people (myself included) can tell a noticable difference in the sound quality when moving to RB1's. Imagination? Maybe. But hey, what we dont know wont hurt us! ha ha.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel:

I must have worded it incorrectly for several misunderstood.

What I was saying is that you do not need to replace the head unit in order to use satellite or iPOD. Several writers believed that if they were going to have satellite and/or iPOD, they must go to the RB1, and that is not (or at least no longer) necessary.

Alice & The Viper Blog

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy it from FinalGTS, he is the man. Gets the order correct and gets the product to you quick! He even is avaliable for online support, usually in the middle of the night heh

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm, but is the RB1 even needed for Sirius and iPOD?

No. the sirius tuner works with everything down to RBK. The new CAN-Bus radios (RAK, RAQ, REF, and REC) need a different tuner.

However, the RB1 (and perhaps RB4) are the only ones capable of displaying Artist/Title info.

e. Do you plan on adding Monster Cable's iCruze (for iPOD)?

It'd be a cold day in hell before I give Monster Cable a friggin' dime.

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fort Lauderdale, FL (Winter) Saugatuck, MI (Summer
a. How much did you pay? $975
b. If you did a self-install, how long did it take? ABOUT 30MIN
c. If you had a dealer install, what was the cost?
d. Do you plan on adding Sirius? YES (HAVE IT NOT INSTALLED YET)
e. Do you plan on adding Monster Cable's iCruze (for iPOD)? NO

ACMiller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a. How much did you pay? $750 (watch ebay)
b. If you did a self-install, how long did it take? Paid $45 to have it pro install
c. If you had a dealer install, what was the cost? $45
d. Do you plan on adding Sirius? No
e. Do you plan on adding Monster Cable's iCruze (for iPOD)? I added IPOD not Monster Cable

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a. How much did you pay? $750 (watch ebay)

Wow I didn't know they could be so cheap. Was that for a brand new one or was it a take out from another vehicle?

ACMiller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was new... Taken out of Jeep at dealer... People buy jeeps and want the dealer to remove and put different radios in... My unit was not used.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32