911 TT or SRT-10? Anyone drive both?

ScottE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a Viper board, but I'm looking for advise on my next fun car. I am considering either a 2003-2004 SRT-10 or a 2002 911 Turbo. I prefer the head-turning good looks of the new white SRT-10, but the 911 has the tiny rear seats for my children (ages 3 & 5) for short trips....

My question is for those who have owned both or driven both.....Can a 5-year old child in a child seat actually fit in the back of the 911? It looks tight! If a child can fit, at what size/age will they outgrow the back?

If the back seats are worthless, then my decision is made! My brother-in-law has a yellow RT-10 and its a hoot.....

One other factor to consider is that I may use this car sporatically to commute my 11 mile/50 minute trip to work! Is the new SRT-10 ill-suited for this job?

Thanks.

SNAKEPILOT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've owned both...apples to oranges, fast GT vs raw sports car.
Single digit age kids ok in back, by age ten forget it.
Neither car would be my choice for what is obviously a stop and go commute, but either one could do it.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't driven both, but last time I was at the track, a 911 TT was there also. He (the TT guy) couldn't keep up with the SRT-10, although it may be more to do with the driver, I don't know. Could be that he just didn't want to drive as agressively. It seemed like the Viper had a lot more "grunt" pulling out of the slow turns in particular (of course, he may have just been consistently selecting the wrong gears.)

Certainly, the Viper will get you more looks than a 911 if that matters to you.

Kai

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My kids rode in the back of my 996 and Turbo until they were 13 or so. They were not comfortable past 9 or 10, but loved to ride back there vs. taking the truck:)

Good luck.

Roy

OP
OP
S

ScottE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a similar thread, has anyone driven with a child seat in the front passenger seat of the SRT-10? I assume there is a cut off for the airbag like my brother-in-law's RT-10

Hopefully, I will have my C32 AMG sold this weekend to make room for the new toy.

Thanks for the tips so far......It's good to hear from people who have actually driven both that are unbiased!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a similar thread, has anyone driven with a child seat in the front passenger seat of the SRT-10? I assume there is a cut off for the airbag like my brother-in-law's RT-10

Yes, I have. There is an airbag cut-off switch inside the console glove compartment. I am also working on installing a modified car seat between the driver and passenger seats. There is just enough space. And the 6 point belt positions offer a slick way to attach it.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also working on installing a modified car seat between the driver and passenger seats. There is just enough space. And the 6 point belt positions offer a slick way to attach it.
No matter how good a job you do, somebody is going to crash hard and their kid is going to die while strapped down using your installation. And guess whose fault it's going to be? Nevermind that the idiot driver may have been drunk and going 130 mph. It will be your fault, or at least that is the story that the lawyer will stick to. I hope your product liability insurance is paid up.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phoenix iit is intended for personal use only, not for sale. Check your Viper mag as this is not a first.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte