'95 Viper Lurching / Cutting Out Again

zzeck1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I thought the Dodge dealer fixed this, but after 600 miles the car is doing it again. I spoke to the Dodge dealer who adjusted the throttle body last year. THey said they may need to replace the throttle body this time on the car. I have a little over 15K on the car.....THoughts???

I'm not getting any codes. It just cuts out/lurches periodically under no load.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '95 started lurching which seems to be a common problem with Gen1 vipers where the throttle body is out of sync. I took it to the Dodge dealer in Alpharetta and fixed the problem.

Could you describe in more detail what is happening?
"under no load" does that mean deaccel or neutral throttle or both?
If yes to neutral; would you describe the fealing as surging/bucking?

OP
OP
Z

zzeck1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes! It's surging/bucking when I give it a little gas.....going up a small incline.....Not heavy accelerating or not in neutral.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After eliminating the basic tune-up stuff: Wires/Plugs/ThrottleSync/Battery
It is quite possible that the problem is the driver.
You may just be a victim of the bucking beast and simply need to learn to tame her. She likes to ACCEL or DEACCEL. Cruising is not the Vipers bag.

Why?
A combination of:
-Ridiculous Bottom End Torque
-Normal Drivline Slop
-A sloppy wobbly gas pedal
-Bouncy comfy seats not alowing the driver to make precise enough inputs to the throttle.

Some info here:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/636901-Idling-Along?highlight=bucking

More info: Search for "bucking"

One way to determine if your bucking is normal or not would be to have a couple other Viper owners drive your Viper.

OP
OP
Z

zzeck1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, but I can assure you the driver isn't the problem. I'm not talking about 1st gear when you're trying to maintain a low speed and you can get it to **** before pushing in the clutch. I've owned the car for 4 years and know its characteristics. When you are on a steady incline, it will buck/lurch/cuts out. Seems to be an intermittent problem and only after it warms up, but you can't determine when it's going to do it. Temperature isn't an issue.

Guess it's back to the shop and hope they know what they're doing.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Synching the throttle cables (Left LEADS the right) stops "parking lot speeds bucking" and would not normally be a factor at street speeds, unless realy a driver coating at idle.

15K miles should not need a TB. Have you done plugs/wires? battery? (really!)

OP
OP
Z

zzeck1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the Dodge dealership sync the throttle cables 600 miles ago. It's doing it again. Dodge is saying they may need to replace the throttle body. I hope this isn't the case!!

OP
OP
Z

zzeck1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery is good. Pulled out and had tested. Did not replace plugs and wires. Wouldn't think I would need to with 15K, but that may be my next step.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would sync the throttle bodies again, very easy to do. Also, 95 has phillips set screws to tighten once you sync them, make sure they tightened them up after they completed syncing them last time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang