95viper - check engine lite ON - engine skipping

OP
OP
A

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, correct. I can see it being possible, its not like these connections snap on good and tight when seated (at least on my car). I can't wait to get home tonight and check this out. I just wish it wasn't so milky out. The wx here has been nasty the past few days, its 60 now, and I'm currently surrounded by showers.

as always, thank you
i'll keep ya posted

aviatorone,

I believe that klamathpro is talking about the electrical wires / plugs to each of the 10 fuel injectors and not the plug wires. Sounds like a logical approach to me as well. Keep us posted how you make out. Always curious how these things turn out.

Big Dog

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had same problem last year when i drove home my 95. Check engine light came on misfired ran bad.After it sat a day ran ok then same problem came back.Took it to a local Dodge dealer and had them run a scan with their OBD1 equipment.Fault code showed a fault with #8 injector circuit.I took it home and ran a new wire from Eng module to #8 injector.It ran good for a day same problem came back.Next obvious step was to replace #8 Injector which I did.Ran ok for a few miles same problem came back misfire out of right exhaust ran bad.The final fix for mine was to replace the $750 dollar control module which I did and for the last year has run like a new Viper.It was a big step to go for a new control module that you cant exchange but it was the fix.Hope you have better luck with less expense.

OP
OP
A

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eww, Thanks for all your info, I will keep that in mind. I can't wait to get all this behind me, (changing the fluids, tune up, alignment) so I can drive the car on long trips, and not have to worry about not making it.

Are you new to this site? I

Had same problem last year when i drove home my 95. Check engine light came on misfired ran bad.After it sat a day ran ok then same problem came back.Took it to a local Dodge dealer and had them run a scan with their OBD1 equipment.Fault code showed a fault with #8 injector circuit.I took it home and ran a new wire from Eng module to #8 injector.It ran good for a day same problem came back.Next obvious step was to replace #8 Injector which I did.Ran ok for a few miles same problem came back misfire out of right exhaust ran bad.The final fix for mine was to replace the $750 dollar control module which I did and for the last year has run like a new Viper.It was a big step to go for a new control module that you cant exchange but it was the fix.Hope you have better luck with less expense.

Big Dog

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Eww, Thanks for all your info, I will keep that in mind. I can't wait to get all this behind me, (changing the fluids, tune up, alignment) so I can drive the car on long trips, and not have to worry about not making it.

Are you new to this site? I

I am new to the Site. The test for the wire to each Injector reqiires the use of a Noid light test kit. Thiis will tell you if the computer is sending the correct pulse to the Injector.If there is no pulse indication its either the wire or the module.

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This is what I was thinking was suspect...I bet the voltage bus to fire the pulse output to the injector keeps dropping out. I wonder if they have any spare outputs (pulse bits) on the control module that you can rewire to and remap in the program...although it could potentially screw up the fault code if you swapped the hard I/O point. Then again, it may not work the way I'm thinking it does.

OP
OP
A

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dog, Scott and All,
Last night I verified all connection to each of the injectors, everything was fine, started the car, let it run. (didn't drive it...raining) it got up to normal operating temp, I played with the connections (car still running), nothing would back out to easy...muh! I could never get the car to misfire. It ran like normal, it will spit a little, but thats normal for my car. It has a good tune up coming soon.

Atlanta should be dry by now, I'll take the car out for a ride tonight.

I will keep you posted...

This is what I was thinking was suspect...I bet the voltage bus to fire the pulse output to the injector keeps dropping out. I wonder if they have any spare outputs (pulse bits) on the control module that you can rewire to and remap in the program...although it could potentially screw up the fault code if you swapped the hard I/O point. Then again, it may not work the way I'm thinking it does.

OP
OP
A

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before checking the compression, what can be disconnected, so the engine doesn't fire when i'm turning it over... when doing the compression test?

thx

I just found this post, if others may need help later. http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/560384-Checking-Compression?highlight=compression+test

Pull all the plugs, insert compression gauge in spark plug hole, use a remote starter switch with the two leads clipped to the large and small terminal on the starter (accessible from the top rear drivers side of engine) spin the engine over about 8 revolutions. Should be around 155-165 psi. What you need to look for is consistent readings between all cylinders. A compression check will not necesarilly tell you the condition of the rings/cylinders. It will point out major problems (head gasket/bent valve etc).....to correctly check condition you should do a leak down test. A leak down will tell you the condition of the rings/cylinders/valve seating but is much harder to do.
You should do the check with the throttle wide open.​

Last edited:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a quick observation:

1. Comment - " it will spit a little", you seemed to thing that was normal, that is not normal and should be considered an issue.

2. It looks like you are fairly close to Tony Armour, that should be a no-brainer, have Tony tune the car for you.

Good luck in clearing up the problem.

OP
OP
A

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finished putting the plugs and wires (all stock) in the car last night. I put about 10 miles on the car last night, and the car ran fine. I couldn't get it to misfire/skip. I'll take the car out for a longer drive this evening, and will post if it returns.

I haven't reset the computer and ran the onboard test yet, but will post if something comes up.

Thanks everyone for you help with this!

steve

OP
OP
A

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fyi...... Ive put about 200 miles on the car, and it's been running fine since the new wires and plugs.

I did reset the computer, and I'm getting 1 of the 2 codes that were previously showing up. Think '12' is still showing up.

thanks for all the help,
steve

VenomGTR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 94' is throwing the same exact codes, 12 and 27. For some reason, the engine only stutters when it's hot/warm outside and will throw those codes, however, when it's cold/night time, it doesn't. Any guesses?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will do. Thanks all so much for ur help with the info!!!
I will let u know what I find.

If you're in *******, the best Viper guys close to you are Balanced Performance in Sugar Hill. Probably slightly more than the 5 minutes it'll take to evidence the symptoms. I can introduce you if you want or you can go over there and talk to 'em and decide whether you want their help. They do work on both my street Gen 2 and the race Gen 2, a 1000HP drag Gen 3 and a variety of local street Vipers.

http://balancedperformance.com/contact/index.html

(Non attorney spokesperson, not affiliated in any way with Balanced Performance....just trying to offer an option to a newbie! ;-)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like you are fairly close to Tony Armour, that should be a no-brainer, have Tony tune the car for you.

Tony is flat awesome as well (did the top end on my street car); he's much further north, but its a pretty drive from our neighborhood (I'm in Buford).

Do join the local Club events, one of them is a scenic tour of north GA ending up at Tony's place.....one of the most amazing backyard views in the southeast!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang