96/97 GTS Differences?

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the 96 was a first-order run of the GTS, so is there any major difference between them and the 97? what did they change from year to year? Did the 96's have any common problems, any maintenence tips i need to be aware of or lookout for...? thanks guys - Also, has anybody ever put the three-spoke rims on a GTS, i think that would look very interesting chromed....i assume they fit? or not...

Bill

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 GTS
Under warranty the following parts were replaced with 97 parts.

All window seals and glass
Alarm system
side sills
cooling fan

If you are looking at a 96 and this work has not been done - pass

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some bigger issues with 96 GTS's:

Rear Main Seals, Oil Pan Gaskets and Front Timing Covers, all of which could leak.

And the best of all was the Porous Blocks in the early 96's. However Dodge will replace your motor with a new one if you have a Porous Block...I know.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it shouldn't be too hard to find one with an extended warranty, right? and if it doesn't have one, i can still purchase one, yes?

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge only early 96 GTS's were affected with Porous Blocks. Yes you can purchase a warranty even if the orginal warranty has expired. DC has extended warranty coverage you can buy, there are other programs available also but I don't know much about them.