96-97 Porsche turbo how fast???

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know how a 96-97 Porsche turbo would do againts a Viper. Well I found out today in my GTS.

:headbang:

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a dead stop, if the driver drops the clutch at high rpm, it would get a jump and then be quickly devoured by a Gen II Viper. Most owners will not launch like this out of fear of breaking something. If they don't do a hard launch it won't be close.

So let us know.....What happened!

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Porsche owner passed me up really quick. I guess he wanted to play. We were on an interstate where there was no traffic so I though, what a better place to open it up a little bit. I was really surprised how I was able to real that Porsche in. Specially a turbo.

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the 1997 Motor Trend "High-Speed Shoot-Out":

*Porsche 911 Turbo*
-Drivetrain: Rear engine, all-wheel drive
-Engine: Twin Turbocharged & intercooled Flat-6, SOHC, 2 valves/cylinder
-Displacement: 3.6L
-Horsepower: 400 @ 5750 rpm
-Torque: 400lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
-Transmission: 6-speed manual

*Dodge Viper GTS*
-Drivetrain: Front engine, rear-wheel drive
-Engine: 90 degree V-10, OHV, 2 valves/cylinder
-Displacement: 8.0L
-Horsepower: 450 @ 5200 rpm
-Torque: 490lb-ft @ 3700 rpm
-Transmission: 6-speed manual

The numbers:

*0-60mph
911: 3.7 sec.
GTS: 4.0 sec.

*0-100mph
911: 9.4 sec.
GTS: 8.8 sec.

*1/4 mile
911: 12.3 sec. @ 114.1 mph
GTS: 12.2 sec. @ 119.3 mph

*One mile
911: 31.2 sec. @ 162.6 mph
GTS: 30.6 sec. @ 169.4 mph

*Top speed
911: 181.8 mph
GTS: 187.3 mph

*600-ft Slalom
911: 69.6 mph
GTS: 73.6 mph

*Max. Lateral g(Dry surface)
911: 1.00g
GTS: 1.01g

*Max. Lateral g(Wet surface)
911: 0.79g
GTS: 0.78g

*60-0mph Braking
911: 111-ft
GTS: 129-ft

*0-100-0mph
911: 13.7 sec.
GTS: 13.9 sec.

*Road Course
911: 40.2 sec.
GTS: 39.4 sec.

The End. :2tu:

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This topic doesn't seem to get brought up as much as it used to. The consensus (of course this is the Viper site) is that the GTS will pull away from the 993TT. I had both together for about 2 days. The GTS was new and the 993TT had been carefully broken in. I live at 3700 feet so the turbo had a little advantage.

The 993TT has a little understeer built into it and tends to plow a little if you come off the accelerator. It feels really stable at speed and has excellent visibility. The brakes just keeping working and working.

You can do just about anything with the Viper as you can with the Porsche. Because of the lack of turbo lag the balance of the car can be controlled much more precisely. You obviously have to have a pretty sensitive touch to keep the car going. If you have a lot of seat time on the track in a Viper you'll probably pull ahead of a stock 993TT consistently. Personally I think the Viper is a little more fun on the track than the Porsche.

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A better comparsion is against a non turbo Porsche...A 996 GT3. I have owned both and let me tell you the GT3 will beat the Viper in a straight line and on a road coarse.

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A better comparsion is against a non turbo Porsche...A 996 GT3. I have owned both and let me tell you the GT3 will beat the Viper in a straight line and on a road coarse.

The real test showed the GT3 at 12.4 @ 114. That's no viper ******.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT3 has far less HP, and almost half the torque of the Viper. :eek:
If you do 5000RPM+ clutch dumps with the GT3 you should almost be able to keep up with the Viper.

But if you are running faster in the GT3 in a straight line it simply means that you need more practice driving the Viper. And of course if you aren't in the right gear when you need the power, tough luck. It's simply NOT there in the GT3. :eek: At 2500 RPM the new GT3 is making about 75HP and 140FT TQ, whereas the GenII Viper is making around 235HP and 470FT TQ at the same 2500 RPM! There is NO mistaking the difference. :2tu:

On a circuit track, the comparison is a bit closer because you can more easily rev the GT3's engine to stay in it's peak power range better.

-Dean.

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read Car & Driver...GT3 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. I know what you are saying about horsepower but the GT3 is every bit as fast as the Viper.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...maybe to 60 but it sounds like the viper eats it up in the quarter mile trap speed which to me is more telling of a car's acceleration than the traction limited 0-60.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key with a lower torque, lightweight car like the GT3 or Ferrari 360 is that a perfect launch with the driver dropping the clutch at 5000RPM will result in comparable performance, but if you are not up on your powerband the car will fall flat on it's face compared to a relatively high torque car like the Viper. That's where the extra power can make a huge difference.

A Honda S2000 can almost keep up with a Corvette (when it's on full boil) but when it's engine is at low revs, it accelerates like an Accord. :eek:

That's an extreme example, and I'm sure that the $100K+ GT3 is fairly close to the performance of a stock GenII Viper as long as you keep up on the Porsche engine's powerband and drive it like you stole it.

-Dean.

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their is no debate. Without the huge illegal advantage of all wheel drive the Porsche whether it is a 911 turbo, GT2 or GT3, the Viper will eat it up every time. The Viper can be road raced and the Porsche 911 is illegal and cannot ever be raced to to its all wheel drive. What I dont like in the Viper is that its 0-60 time is lousy. But the new Viper because of the increased horsepower is also in the high 3 second range in the 0-60. The Viper has torque which cant be matched and it has longevity and reliability which was shown in Le Mans. It is impressive actually

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Toronto - I'd have agree on issue of longetivity - an 8l stock viper will likely get 100,000km, (60k mile) even if hammered each year with major track days. If anyone can vouch from first hand experience of high milage track driven vipers - please reply - my buddy think this also the case.

BUT, if you think a stock GT2 (some guys think are better value and almost as quick as a GT3) for $139K CDN (vs $126K CDN for an SRT-10) is slower than an Gen II or Gen III, I emphatically disagree - it will repeatedly outbrake our cars and just plain better handler overall - exactly what the track master ordered.

BUT - a GT2 or GT3 just doesn't have looks I can fall in love with - it is a driving tool plain and simple - our cars have very good performance and stunning looks that make you say "doesn't this just look like it kicks major ***". Also - no-one give a GT3 or GT2 a second glance.

But, if DC would just please please build the Gen III analogue to a GT2 - a Street Comp Coupe - for the price of a porsche GT2 - then the only real issue would be mass - that's the key .

The only other major advantage of porsche's GT2 in a race-track situ is the engine location, - tough to prevent looping (evidently the GT2 and GT3 can be truly rough to handle if you are new to it) BUT this rear weight is great to getting big rear tires to give excellent braking, repeatedly, over and over - take a load off the front brakes.

But - in an endurance event - the winner is not the quickest , but the quickest for the whole race - the wins at Le Mans prove that the viper has the goods, too bad DC pulled the effort - I hope it doesn't means that DC is moving to more D than C.

2000 GTS, Ballanger headers, stop tech 4, random tech cats, corsa cat back, brakeman 3 pads, smoothies.

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUT, if you think a stock GT2 (some guys think are better value and almost as quick as a GT3) for $139K CDN (vs $126K CDN for an SRT-10)
I think you're confusing the GT2 with the normal turbo. The GT2 is $180k US, and is quite a bit faster than the GT3 and turbo.

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only advantage of the GT2 to the Viper GenII is the braking. They have much more superior brakes. If the brakes were level for both cars the race would be about even. Actually I would have to say that the Viper would come out on top due much more torque. Out of the corners it is torque that will pull you. But I like the GT2. It is a great car but a bit overpriced

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither the GT2 or GT3 are AWD, just the 911Turbo.

The GT3 and GT2 are both lightweight (several hundred pounds lighter that the 911 Turbo)
The GT3 is normally aspirated with 381HP/284TQ, and costs between $115K and $140K depending on options and customization.
The 996TT/911Turbo has 415HP/415TQ for around $115K (for an extra $18K you can get the X50 package that brings the power up to 450HP/457TQ).
The GT2 weighs about 100lbs more than the GT3, but it has 483HP/472TQ and costs $192K.

The GT3 driven really well has about the same in-line performance as the Gen II Viper, which is a bit quicker than the regular 911 Turbo, and a bit slower than the 996TT/X50 or the GT2, which are about as quick as the SRT-10 Viper.

All of the Porsches in this lineup have better brakes than the stock GenII Vipers, but none of them have better brakes than the SRT-10 Viper. Handling is close on all of these cars with skilled drivers behind the wheel.

-Dean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960