96 blue GTS paint question

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed on both sides of the car that there is a slight shade color difference between the rear quarter panel and the door, especially on the lower portion. A search on goggle images showed some that seem to be the same but I wanted to here from actual owners if this is normal or the same way.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not normal. From the factory and 15 years later, my paint matches throughout - and will after a repaint if OEM Akzo Nobel/Sikkens brand is used.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There should be little or no color variances from panel to panel but.... These cars are not painted like a "regular" car. These are panel painted. What that means is that Hoods are painted and quarters are painted and doors are painted all off site from the assembly facility and the parts are sent to the assembly plant. During assembly the car will get assembled with a blue door, and blue hood, blue quarters etc... normally a car is painted as a single unit separate from the previous and the next car. Our vipers are painted in batches. If the hood and the door were painted on different days, or even morning and evening, the humidity and gun pressure, temperature can all contribute to minor panel differences. In addition the way light will hit the metallic on different panels can influence the appearance of panel mis-match.

If the tint is only slightly off in some specific lighting conditions, I wouldn't worry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine